XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Engine life?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine life?

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice on my other thread about my XF intercooler woes.

So another question - I've always favoured diesel cars since having a Volvo Amazon in my twenties that was still going strong with 300K miles on the clock! My question is, what sort of longevity should we expect from a modern diesel such as the V6 2.7 or 3.0 as in the XF? I realise it all depends on how well maintained the engine is, but all being equal, how will they compare to the agricultural diesels of days gone by? I've worryingly seen adverts for XF's with around 150K boasting new engines! My 3.0D has 139K on the clock and seems fine, but should I be worried???

Ivan

Old 02-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,218 Likes on 2,373 Posts

As long as you service and maintain it properly, and you take steps to prevent serious DPF or EGR issues, then it should outlast the rest of the car.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things make sure you service the trans and also read this blog, i would definitely do regular induction cleaning.

Land Rover and Jaguar TDV6 induction cleaning and maintenance - Pickards Automotive | Car Service Centre | British and European Specilists | Melbourne

Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

I second that on dpi and egr. I also recommend the 3.0L, better performance. Definitely keep the oil changed, specially after you have a dpf warning come on, don't need a full service, unless it's due, but at least oil and filter. I've had 3 cars in the last 3 years that broken the timing chain keeping the 2 cams together break because it wasn't serviced properly. A very expensive job.