XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine sound

When I picked up my XFR, I noticed a whiny noise from the engine. When I asked the Jaguar tech, he said it was the supercharger. I've heard of supercharger and turbo whine before so I assumed this was normal. I've had the car to my local dealer since and never was the noise mentioned by the tech. I just had the car in for scheduled maintenance and the tech replaced the fan belt idler pulley and supercharger belt tensioner. The noise is now gone and the engine sounds like a normally aspirated engine. Can my fellow forum members let me know what their engine sounds like? I guess I'm just curious why this wasn't addressed by the dealer on my previous visits.
Thanks,
George

Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got one but I do not notice a whine. Nice sound when throttle opened but quiet on cruise. I think they pipe some noise into the cabin intentionally to make it sound good.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 2010 XFR, and I have been experiencing a tinny, knocking sound at around 3000 RPM in light throttle application under load when accelerating. It's only happens when the car has been driven and then parked after there's a little bit of heat soak in the engine. It never happens when it's cold.

Has anybody ever heard any such sound. You can't hear it if you have the radio loud or the windows opened.

My dealer, which is very good, keeps telling me that this is normal and it is the sound of the fuel pumps which they admit are very loud. However, whenever I've driven other 5 L Jaguar supercharged engines, I simply do not hear the sound.

Does anybody else who has a 5 L supercharged engine hear this same sound at any time? If so, have you addressed it? What was the diagnosis?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

2011 XFR here. No discernible noise from anything in the cockpit other than exhaust rumble and roar (depending on throttle application!). If you listen really, really, really carefully under high load you can barely pick out some supercharger whine, but its hard to do.

I had a supercharged Lotus Elise and that thing sounded like it had two powerplants.. one for the standard motor and one for the supercharger that sounded more like a rabid monkey on the rampage.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a base XF 5.0 NA on loan while my XFR is in the shop - and I have to say I think it sounds even better than my XFR! There is much more apparent induction sound. I have been a bit underwhlemed with the aural aspects of XFR ownership - it just doesn't sound like it goes. I guess the induction system is somewhat different on the supercharged cars of course, but I really think Jaguar could have done a better job. I am quite enjoying this base XF - a thoroughly decent car and really as fast as anyone needs a car to be. Looking forward to getting my XFR back after a week in the shop later today, to see what I have been missing.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

My 10 SC sounds great inside....would prefer a little more volume. I drive around with the windows open to get more sound.

That said, I wonder about the sounds at idle along side the car. It strikes me as a bit more clattery or valvetrain noisy than other vehicles. I wondered if the Supercharger ads some mechanical noise at idle?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Direct injectors (on the 5.0) may sound louder than port injectors (on the 4.2) as they open at much higher pressures.

Superchargers can damp intake noise. Not all types of superchargers whine.

Jaguar did try to pipe some engine noise into the cabin, why I cannot imagine.

Aftermarket air filters sometimes eliminate the carefully designed silencing that car manufacturers fit ti intake boxes. The resulting induction sound seems to fool many into thinking noise = power.

Quiet road cars can be just as powerful as noisy ones. The Porsche Cayman is particularly offensive in this regard, at full chat it is unbearably loud in the cabin, pointless posturing by Porsche trying to say "this is a real sports car, it's noisy and so powerful". I refuse to buy one for this reason. No road car needs to be noisy.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM

I don't equate noisy with power...rather the 5 is so mellow and deep I am wanting to hear just a little more. Nothing worse than resonance and buzz from poorly tuned or matched aftermarket exhaust systems.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can hear it before you see it.

Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube

The following 3 users liked this post by JohnEnglish:
dotcom (09-19-2011), Lug_Nut (05-13-2012), Saahov (09-26-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! That does sound great, like some sort of jet approaching! But I am talking more about the noise from within the car which I am disappointed with. I am quite aware that noise does not equal power, but it is these kind of things that give cars character, to me. The noise is the only reason I lust after a Lexus LFA for example!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

My 09 SC 4.2L whine can be heard under WOT. I was hoping there was a silencer in the intake tract I could remove to make it a bit louder but I checked and there isn't.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwood
My 10 SC sounds great inside....would prefer a little more volume. I drive around with the windows open to get more sound.

That said, I wonder about the sounds at idle along side the car. It strikes me as a bit more clattery or valvetrain noisy than other vehicles. I wondered if the Supercharger ads some mechanical noise at idle?
I too have a '10 S/C and wanted to hear the supercharger so I took off the engine cover and the hood insulation and I can hear it perfectly now. It sounds amazing!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by XF_Ivan
I too have a '10 S/C and wanted to hear the supercharger so I took off the engine cover and the hood insulation and I can hear it perfectly now. It sounds amazing!
Really??

Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
You can hear it before you see it.

Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube

Whoa! Thanks for posting!
Sounds to me a bit like a Spitfire with Griffon engine.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Interesting I'll have to give that a try to see if it makes a difference.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really??
Really

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried that, but made buggerall difference to mine

Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I could sit & watch that video all day....

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel the same way with my car at idle i have 2010 premium. I feel like its loud and not idling well. Sounds loud in comparison to other vehicles

Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With the electric exhaust valves on my '11 XFR it is either very quiet closed or quite sporty open. When closed the cabin is dead quiet and when you put your foot into it I hear more of an induction noise than a S/C whine. I actually like the sound it makes (in the cabin).And I have the Viezu tune and S/C pulley as well. 575 hp is what my tuner is telling me.

Last edited by vs2; 05-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine sound