XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Eurocharged ECU tune and pulley combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I would be too. The tech at my local Jag dealer mentioned that if there are any powertrain issues that could be tied to an engine / ecu have been modified that there could be a warranty denial.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 kyanite xfr
i don't know much about afr except that if it gets too high, it goes boom. What ratio is too high? I went back and researched bigcat09's dyno curves (attached) and i noticed his were at around 15 all the way across. But i couldn't remember if he took afr with his runs or not?

The dyno runs that usmaxkr2010 posted all look to start at 15 and then go down to 12 at about 5k rpm. Can anyone tell me what is safe? I've read other places that 11.5 to 12 is perfect. I'm soooo close to getting the eurocharged tune and i think this will be the last question that needs to be answered before i'm in.
11-12 range is pretty much where you want to be on boost. Bigcats dyno showing that is not correct and would say either the probe was not in the pipe correctly or the afr sensor has failed. When 02/afr sensors fail they no longer read anything rich. That shows stoich of right around 14.7

Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
11-12 range is pretty much where you want to be on boost. Bigcats dyno showing that is not correct and would say either the probe was not in the pipe correctly or the afr sensor has failed. When 02/afr sensors fail they no longer read anything rich. That shows stoich of right around 14.7
Brutal, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you wouldn't have any issues with the AFR of the Eurocharged tune? And being a Jaguar tech, do you see any possible warranty issues from the tune? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM

anytime i go into ecu software level i can see if it is up to date or not compared to what is avail on the PXC that is uploaded and updated daily from Jaguar. Now what it says for software level when a tune has been loaded I couldnt tell you as Ive never looked at ecu software on a car thats been tuned. BUT, if yours is tuned you run the risk of it being reflashed! This is why there are OBD2 connector cover you can buy that say "DO NOT REFLASH!"

Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Brutal, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you wouldn't have any issues with the AFR of the Eurocharged tune? And being a Jaguar tech, do you see any possible warranty issues from the tune? Thanks.
NO! thats what I would expect to see for AFR's. You would have to ask ET how their tune is named in the ECU. read about post. I have never worried about warranty on my under warranty vehicles. I mod them. But in the case of my heavily modded and sc'd Frontier. a $6000 engine is cheaper than a $12000 jag engine. But to VOID a failure the tune or mod has to be PROVEN/SHOWN to have caused the failure. This is why I refer loaded software into my PC, or hand held I can change to stock if needed. Modding has great rewards, but you know the old saying "YOU WANNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY" THERE ARE RISKS, If youre someone that keeps you life and belonging fully insured and warrantied you may want to continue down a road of less adventure.

The following users liked this post:
Gn4hir (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

NO! thats what I would expect to see for AFR's. You would have to ask ET how their tune is named in the ECU. read about post. I have never worried about warranty on my under warranty vehicles. I mod them. But in the case of my heavily modded and sc'd Frontier. a $6000 engine is cheaper than a $12000 jag engine. But to VOID a failure the tune or mod has to be PROVEN/SHOWN to have caused the failure. This is why I refer loaded software into my PC, or hand held I can change to stock if needed. Modding has great rewards, but you know the old saying "YOU WANNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY" THERE ARE RISKS, If youre someone that keeps you life and belonging fully insured and warrantied you may want to continue down a road of less adventure.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. I have had lightly and heavily modified cars in the past, some under warranty some not. At the end of the day you have to weigh the risks vs. the rewards. Most of the cars that were under warranty, you could replace the entire shortblock for a few $K if you had to. I am personally not fond of the idea of potentially replacing a 5 figure engine in my daily driver so I will likely avoid the tune/pulley route but more power to you guys who are willing to take the risk!! Maybe someday if I own this car out of warranty

Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

All excellent points Brutal.

Will it be obvious to a tech if you re-flash to a stock tune?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for responding so quickly. I sent an email to Jerry at Eurocharged and I'll let everyone know what he says about file names, etc. and number of reflashes. I'm ok with a little risk, and I know they have to prove any mods caused the problem, but I don't want to make it easy to find ways to blame me either.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dyno Run Video

Here is a picture of my XKR on the DynoJet and then a video of the DynoJet Screen shot during one of the 3 runs.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged ECU tune and pulley combo-img_0501.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
XKR Dyno Run Video 10.2013.wmv (13.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM

If you watch the run carefully, the dyno kicks in at 17.5 seconds (watch the green light) and finishes at 21 secs for about a 3 sec run from 3,000 to 6,500 rpm.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

I checked with Jerry at Eurocharged and here are his responses:

1. Does your tune keep the file names the same as stock so it's undetectable?

We do not change any names at all, so no worries there!

2. If the ECU is reflashed, how many reflashes are included?

We will reflash the car as many times as needed my friend! NO charge to YOU!

3. Does that include shipping the programmer for reflashes?

We will cover the shipping costs to you but you need to cover them back to us….insured!

As long as you have a windows laptop they can use to reflash, it would only be the cost of shipping the programmer. I'm guessing the return shipping would definitely be less than $20, unless the handheld programmer is much larger than the ones I've seen.

All I know is I can't stand to leave that much power and throttle response on the table for about $1,000. I'm going to listen to Nike and Just Do It.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM

it would be nice to be able to secretly check if the Euro tune is still intact whenever it is serviced by a Jaguar dealer. Anyway to check?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Based on this thread I have sent Jerry an email about tuning my XKR-S here in Houston and I may have an appointment Friday afternoon. I am interested to see what the difference in gains might be since the XKR-S already comes factory tuned higher than the XKR. My initial thoughts, I will see less gains than the XKR, but significant enough. Jerry says the gains will be similar.

And does this thead confirm that the TCU is not capping the torque at these levels? There was discussion about that in other threads...

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by gn4hir
all excellent points brutal.

Will it be obvious to a tech if you re-flash to a stock tune?
no but you have a unfair advantage since i work on all your stuff(except when im on vacation and you come in)
i have done more than a few sc mods with pulleys on jags. Doing upper and lower now. I have to say ive never seen a failure of the engine/trans on any ive done. Not that i do anything other than install someone elses kits. Just relating ive not seen any failures of the drivetrains.
Joe you got the new xfr yet? The risk on tunes is a bulleting or repair being performed that would overright a tune. But according to the emails from tuners. They would resend the tune to you again with return shipping being only charge. Again these points always reenforces what ive said for years. Know your advisor and tech, dealer or indie and deal with the same ones time and time again.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I checked with Jerry at Eurocharged and here are his responses:

1. Does your tune keep the file names the same as stock so it's undetectable?

We do not change any names at all, so no worries there!

As long as you have a windows laptop they can use to reflash, it would only be the cost of shipping the programmer. I'm guessing the return shipping would definitely be less than $20, unless the handheld programmer is much larger than the ones I've seen.

All I know is I can't stand to leave that much power and throttle response on the table for about $1,000. I'm going to listen to Nike and Just Do It.
1) is my only concern, same name kept, but you run a risk of a reflash if say I go in there and notice that the software suffix is say xxxxx-xxx-xxxbc and the latest update is xxxx-xxx-xxxft.
not knowing you have a tune I may reflash and overwright the tune if I was say chasing a driveabilty issue. Not that big deal on the running since youre already a SC engine, just down on power.
Now if I that happened on my Nissan I would be in trouble with a totally lean engine since its tuned for 1000cc injectors and not the factory 400cc. plus it was never SC'd

Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

no but you have a unfair advantage since i work on all your stuff(except when im on vacation and you come in)
Brutal - From now on you must publish your vacation schedule!

Let me think about this Eurocharge thing...

1. I have Friday off..
2. It costs less than that Senta wheel I had to buy last week..
3. It will be one whole week since I got the XFR..

Sure, why not let strangers feed unauthorized code to my car's computer to make it like RoboCop on Redbull and Castrol Oil.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Just ordered the tune and pulley. Now I have to find someone to install. Hopefully my neighbor can take care of it with no issues. He said he has a bunch of pulley pullers at his shop and hoping one of those will work. Will ask Jerry which one works best and post that info. as well.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM

I wish you were able to dyno the car with a before and after. I am real curious if you see the same results.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by UsmaXKR2010
I wish you were able to dyno the car with a before and after. I am real curious if you see the same results.
I probably won't dyno. it, at least a before and after. I see that most dynos put XFR's around 415-420 stock, so if I do dyno., I'll assume that anything above that is the gain. But the butt dyno. will be the most important. And the change in how the power is delivered. Not sure how long it will take me to get everything done, but I'll definitely post my impressions when it's finished.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM

I ALWAYS say dyno before and after. I went from a dyno dynamics to a Dyno jet and picked up 50 rwhp with out changes. man talk about picking up 50hp for $75 well worth it. my point being all dyno give differant numbers. but if you dont care you dont care. butt dyno helps. butt in my experiance a pulley Really changes BUTT dyno power down low on accelration because it brings boost in sooner as well as more. but tends to drift off and not be as big a change up top. but a 1.5 pulley isnt that much anyway....I would like to see the tune dyno and then the pulleys both before and after from a customer and not at the shop that sells the parts because all dyno operators will tell you numbers can be tweeked easily. How many parts would you sell if X claims only delivered H numbers.
I did a Stillen super charger kit that claimed 90+rwhp and in fact for me only delivered 45rwhp the number generally on the web forums seemed to point to about 40-60 hp real world numbers. Thats about $100hp not the $50 they claim...This is not saying anything bad about what Matt is doing or Eurocharged, Eurotoys etc....But I did grow up in the SHOW ME state if that meens anything
like asking a bankruptcy attorney if you should file bankruptcy.

Last edited by Brutal; 11-01-2013 at 09:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Matt in Houston (11-01-2013), WRXtranceformed (11-01-2013)

Quick Reply: Eurocharged ECU tune and pulley combo