XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Eurocharged Tune & Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Eurocharged Tune & Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included

Before I start, I want to say thank you to the folks at Eurocharged who have provided me with their pulley and tune free of charge as I was a winner of their contest drawing on this forum. The entirety of the upgrade process and dyno documentation has been completed on my own accord. Eurocharged had never asked me to document my dyno runs nor did they compensate me for the time and cost spent doing so. That being said, I hope the information contained in this thread is of value to the many individuals who have wanted (including myself) hard data proving or disproving the claimed power gains that Eurocharged have advertised.

<b>----------
The Car
----------</b>

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-00nics8l.jpg

The vehicle used for this process was my 2011 Jaguar XFR. At the time of the first dyno run, my car had 64,187 miles on the odometer. The second run, having installed the Eurocharged supercharger pulley, was made with 65,283 miles on the odometer. The final runs, with the tune and pulley, were made with 68,567 miles on the odometer.

For all of these runs, my car did have an axle-back exhaust installed that was made by GSR Autosport. This axle-back setup is very similar to the Mina Gallery axle-back. These runs were made with the factory paper air filter element. Both of these things were not changed over the entire upgrade process.

<b>----------
Pulley Install
----------</b>

I contacted many shops here in Southern California before I found one that was willing and able to perform the supercharger pulley install. The reason many shops declined the opportunity to install the pulley was due to the fact that one shop had essentially ruined the supercharger on a customer car during the install process.

Unless the shop has a proprietary or OEM pulling tool and raises the motor by jacking it up from the bottom end, the pulley cannot be removed easily and must be cut off. This cutting process is a delicate one and the technician must be careful not to mar or damage the shaft on which the pulley sits. Once the factory pulley is removed, you must heat the new pulley and press it onto the shaft before it cools. If the pulley is not seated correctly after the first attempt, it must be removed again. If this happens, you cannot reuse the pulley (if you were able to remove it without having to cut it off again) and must purchase a new one.

As an interesting note, the Eurocharged pulley I received has turned a gold color after the install.

Here are a few photos of the pulley install:

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-dp815qkl.jpg

^ New Eurocharged Pulley

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-dqgjeszl.jpg

^ Stock Pulley (immediately left of the throttle body)

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-trbgogll.jpg

^ Supercharger Input Shaft with stock pulley removed

Name:  ydySdMol.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  35.9 KB

^ Stock pulley remains

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-srmmb5ml.jpg

^ New pulley installed. Now gold in color.

<b>----------
Tuning Process
----------</b>

Eurocharged sent me their loaner tool so that I was able to download my stock tuning file and then upload their tuning file after they had configured the original file. The piece of hardware sent to me is a CMD Flash unit made by Flashtec. This box has one side that plugs into your OBD2 port and then then other side plugs into your laptop computer. No instructions came in the box and I spent a little bit of time figuring out how it works.

This loaner tool is not compatible with any of the software found on the Eurocharged website. I was able to download the correct software as offered by Flashtec and I immediately started playing around with it. The Flashtec CMD Flash software looks a little similar to the Eurocharged Euro-Flash software so I was able to figure out how to download my factory file with no issues. I do feel that I am technically inclined due to my background and this process may be difficult for most end users.

After downloading the file, I sent Eurocharged an email. They were under the impression that I had not yet figured everything out and they requested to remote log in into my computer to assist me with the download process. After I realized what was happening, I told the technician I had already installed the software and downloaded the original tune. For those who may use Eurocharged for their tune, the program I used to download my factory file can be found at this link: Flashtec-Setup

Downloading the original tune takes about seven minutes. Flashing the new tune takes about ten minutes. During either of these processes, you will see many error and fault messages on your dashboard. Do not be alarmed as this is completely normal. I also had the program fail during both the download and upload process. The interruption was caused by my anti-virus trying to update as well as Windows trying to update. If you see the program fail, do not be alarmed as redoing the upload or download process fixes everything.

I did receive three tunes from Eurocharged. The first tune felt marginally faster in gear 3 and higher but the first two gears felt the same if not slower. After I sent these comments to Jerry Thornton at Eurocharged (I think he is the owner), he sent me a second tune. This tune felt way stronger than the first; however, my cruise control had been disabled in the process. The third tune fixed my cruise control issue and retained the power of tune number two. Tune number three is the one that was loaded when I had the car run for the final time on the dyno.

Overall, it was easy to download my OEM tune and upload their tune. ECU removal was not necessary for me. Please note that I did wait quite a while to receive their loaner tool as they do send this unit out to their other customers. I do feel it is worth the wait to use this tool rather than removing your ECU.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-xwrsrsrl.jpg

^ The CMD Flash loaner tool provided

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-jviotzrl.jpg

^ Flashing the car

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-e7p8pkml.jpg

^ Loading the tune

^ Confirmation screen of a successful tune load

<b>----------
The Dyno
----------</b>

The dyno used for the entirety of the upgrade process was a Dyno Dynamics unit that is located at HG Motorsports in San Diego. As many of you know, the Dyno Dynamics dyno (as run with factory settings) is regarded as the Heartbreaker Dyno. <b>The purpose of these dyno runs was not to seek an outrageous power number but rather to document and confirm that power had been gained with each modification. </b>The same dyno operator assisted with my runs for each visit and the calibration procedures were kept the same each time.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-h6iyzlql.jpg

My car was driven to the shop and allowed to cool for no more than 30 minutes before the runs began. Each run was made in fourth gear and allowed to go through the entirety of the powerband until the car automatically shifted into 5th. The fuel used in these runs is Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium 91 Octane (California craptane?) pump gas. This fuel does contain up to 10% ethanol content as mentioned on the pumps themselves. As mentioned previously, my car does have an axle-back exhaust system installed and this remained on during the entire upgrade process.

<b>----------
Stock Power
----------</b>

Three pulls were made for my initial baseline.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-eieoj8jl.jpg

As you can see, my car made power with each subsequent run. The time between each run was about five minutes and the car was left idling on the dyno during the wait times before the next pull. Air conditioning was left running as well. The large fans in front of the car were also kept running as the car idled.

The reason I decided to run the car in this manner was to test the cooling efficiency of the car. There have been many claims of heat soak after idling for a while and I feel this shows that the car is more than capable of retaining consist power delivery.

<b>----------
+ Eurocharged Pulley (No Tune)
----------</b>

Four pulls were made this time. The car was driven in excess of 250 miles to allow the ECU to adapt to the changes.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-qzksenkl.jpg

The run procedure was a bit different this time. The first three pulls were done back to back allowing no time for the car to cool. The reason for this is to see if the car was still able to retain consistent power delivery having sped up the supercharger spin rate with the new pulley. As the graph shows, the car was within 1.2 horsepower of these back to back runs.

Having done the first three runs back to back, the car was allowed to sit on the dyno idling for about ten minutes time. For the last run, the car made a little bit more power than the first three runs. As with the baseline runs, the air conditioning was left running this entire time.

There have been many suggestions of the TCU (transmission control unit) limiting power in the midrange and it feel this graph does show the limiter working as designed. There were absolutely no gains in the midrange with this pulley. It seems that the supercharger pulley had no ill effects on consistency of power delivery and you can clearly see the large gain in wheel torque at the bottom and top of the rev range as evidenced by this comparison graph. Horsepower did increase at the bottom and top as well.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-281l064l.jpg

The Eurocharged supercharger pulley is similar to the ones offered by many other companies and is advertised to produce up to 1.5lbs more boost. In my data logging using the Torque Pro app on my phone, I can verify that I am seeing this increased boost pressure as compared to stock. The highest pressure I saw when stock was 10.3psi as measured by this app and the highest pressure I have seen with the pulley is 11.9psi.

Please note that the aforementioned boost levels are the maximum measured and there are many variables that determine boost including altitude, humidity, speed, etc. On a regular basis, my measured boost pressures are a bit lower than the max numbers I've logged. This is of no fault to the car.

<b>----------
+ Eurocharged Tune (with pulley)
----------</b>

Three runs were made in a similar fashion as the baseline. Again the car was driven over 250 miles to allow the ECU to adapt.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-hxfpu85l.jpg

The car was run in the same way as the baseline runs which was about five minutes of idle time between each run and the air conditioning left running.

<b>----------
The Overall Picture
----------</b>

The most noticeable difference with this tune is the amount of extra torque the car is now producing. While the tune did help the car gain a bit of peak power, the overall gains in wheel torque are quite staggering. Although my peak horsepower gained was a bit less than they advertise, I blame the 91 octane fuel as their numbers are advertised with the car using 93 octane. My peak torque gain absolutely matched what they advertise.
That being said, there is absolutely no doubts that the pulley and software provided by Eurocharged do indeed work and work well.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-aipcguil.jpg

The graph directly above this comment shows the best run from each run. The graph below this comment will show the average power generated by each of these runs. This is a better representation of overall power gained.

Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-rmyryfxl.jpg

<b>----------
My Thoughts
----------</b>

This whole experience has been educational for me and I have answered many questions that I have had.

When I first had the supercharger pulley installed, I noticed that the throttle seemed a bit touchier. The car would want to jump off the line, even more so than stock, with slight throttle application. However, when I ran the car hard, I was under the wrong impression that my car got slower. Having seen the dyno runs, I understand why I felt this way. With the extra torque the car was making at the very bottom of the rev range, it made it seem the car was losing steam at the top end. This is why butt dyno's should always be questioned!

After loading the third tune revision onto my car, the power gain was immediately noticeable. The midrange felt exponentially stronger and this was verified by the numbers on the dyno. Interestingly enough, the tune seems to have corrected my speedometer error as well. I made no mention of this to Eurocharged but they corrected the 1% error in my speedometer. For example, if I set cruise control at 75mph, GPS would show about 73mph. Now when I set cruise control to 75mph, GPS shows that I am traveling at 75mph but my speedometer is indicating 77mph. Weird little tidbit I thought I would include.

Would I recommend Eurocharged and their services? I can say with confidence that I can recommend their product to my fellow forum members. Other than a few minor delays, they delivered everything as promised and were quite easy to communicate with. Nice folks over there!

Attached to this thread are a few more pictures showing my invoices and mileage during the whole process. I hope these pieces of documentation, along with everything else in this thread, are enough to satisfy the needs and curiosities of my fellow forum members.

Here is a bonus video I shot when the car made its first baseline run:

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-qb7wfja.jpg   Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-5dhstwu.jpg  

Last edited by patrickw813; 10-22-2015 at 09:55 AM.
The following 18 users liked this post by patrickw813:
1320racer (01-28-2016), Bigg Will (11-02-2015), Blackcoog (10-22-2015), Cambo (10-21-2015), Fair2 (10-23-2015), JagSTR2004 (11-08-2015), lckitty (11-03-2015), m.w.l. (11-07-2015), Mikey (10-22-2015), Panthro (06-30-2016), PolkNole (02-13-2016), RainsFather (10-25-2015), ralphwg (10-22-2015), RK354 (05-12-2018), rlentini (03-24-2016), tellcarl (08-16-2019), u102768 (10-22-2015), XJ8JR (04-02-2018) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Patrick was kind enough to let me drive the car with pulley and no tune and also gave me a ride with both.
Since my point of reference is my 2015 XF V8 S/C, the difference in torque/power was staggering. The engine felt like it revved a lot more freely and once the tune has been put in, the mid-range pulls were amazing.
I definitely want a tune. Have been for a while, but the results are very, VERY impressive indeed.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

That is extremely helpful. I'm right in the middle of deciding whether to pull this trigger, although I have the 09 4.2. The real question is whether it's worth the money, which is always a personal one.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Great write up. Now we get to go to Famoso and do the real testing. Weather man is saying high 60's to low 70's! I feel some good times and high trap speeds in our future.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
The real question is whether it's worth the money, which is always a personal one.
The only thing personal about whether a tune on a forced induction motor is the right choice is whether the person has the disposable income to make it happen. If so, it's always the right choice.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 AM

<b>I want to cross post the message I received on the XK section of this forum and my response to his statements.</b>

Originally Posted by DGL
I would have expected your numbers to be much higher. Assuming a 15% loss of power from drivetrain delivery you achieved a crank hp rating of 500 (425/.85). You have the 5l SC engine which has a high stock tune of 550 hp on the XKR-S. I assume Eurocharged uses the base XKR-S tune and tweaks it to achieve 620 hp on the 5L SC with 1.5 pulley change. You achieved much less hp than the anticipated 620hp. Furthermore there is only a 30hp increase at the wheels after the tune and pulley change over your base hp. I find your numbers disappointing.
I am sure you'll agree that estimating power at the engine by using dyno numbers is quite inaccurate. There are too many variables between different types of dyno's and their correction settings. The only way to accurately measure engine power is by physically removing the engine and placing it on an engine dyno. Obviously nobody on this forum, nor any sane individual, will actually ever do this.

I will agree that total power gained is not as high as I hoped nor as high as they've advertised. Please keep in mind that Eurocharged advertise a 55 horsepower gain at the motor and a 65ft lb of torque. I do not know where or why you have the 620 number in mind but Eurocharged definitely do not advertise power at that level. I am, however, satisfied with the amount of torque gained by this setup. You can feel the difference on a day to day basis.

Attached to this response is a dyno chart that HG Motorsports provided for me to simulate numbers that I would achieve on a Dynojet dyno. The conversion factor was achieved by running the same vehicles on a local Dynojet dyno and calculating the desparity. Just by this graph alone, you can understand why all dyno sheets should be used as a reference and nothing more.

Many 5.0L cars have made between 440 and 460 horsepower at the wheels when stock on a Dynojet. As you can see from the attached graph, the Dynojet conversion of my run closely matches this. When tuned, many of these cars see power between 480 and 520 horsepower. My tuned power number falls right in the middle of the average numbers.

Perhaps this may change your mind or you may still be disappointed. Regardless, I hope both yourself and other people reading this response have a better understanding of dyno's, their conversion factors, and the potential massive differences in readings from dyno to dyno. As I mentioned in my linked posted, the purpose of my writeup was not to "dyno race" and try and show off a massive power number. The purpose was to verify advertised power gains. Horsepower was shy, torque was right at the advertised rate.

In the interest of being fair to all parties, I would like to mention that the Eurocharged advertised horsepower number is when using 93 octane. Unfortunately, I am limited to 91. The tune was adjusted for the octane rating available to me.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-photogrid_1445490970079.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by patrickw813:
1320racer (01-28-2016), loco4myjag (03-20-2016)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I enjoyed your in depth analysis of the pulley and tune. I'm not in the market for these but it was good reading. Thanks for sharing your experience and enjoy your newfound torque.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Awesome write up and thanks for sharing all of the documentation. I agree that there is no reason to be disappointed, the gas quality alone makes a HUGE difference in power. I have no doubt that if you got some of the delicious gas we get here on the east coast (you can even buy 100+ unleaded at the pump at some stations) you would see +15-20whp more.

Y'all are making me want to forget my warranty and pony up and get a tune

Old 10-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Abso fudging lutely.........DGL basically has no clue what he is talking about!!! I'm sure a dyno operator with even mild skills could fudge the results and tell you that you have 600+hp..........as you have correctly said and as many people on this forum have said in the tuning game........we are purely assessing gains as accurately as we can........great write up and many thanks.

top bedtime read......

Old 10-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Before and after dyno charts rule!

Thanks for some real information instead of smoke and mirrors!

The following users liked this post:
1320racer (01-28-2016)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default New Thread - SAVE

Moderator...
I posted a similar journey a couple weeks back.. Maybe start a permanent thread, now that more of us are doing this mod and documenting it.
(or is there one already)

Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM

<b>Another post from the XK side I wanted to share. </b>

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Were you able to collect data on the A/F before and after?

Thanks.
Yes I was. Interestingly enough, it remained remarkably similar through all three stages of the modifications. I have sent Eurocharged an email asking them what it is they did to find the extra power. Considering the air-fuel ratio hasn't been changed, I believe there is a bit more headroom to find power.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-patrick-w-stock-vs-pulley-vs-pulleytune-afr.jpg  
damienedwards (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks again Patrick for the write up. Definitely helping push me to get my XKR tuned. Don't worry about DGL, for some reason even though he doesn't have his tuned he feels the need to comment on anyone else's tuning post like he personally created the act of tuning, often time spreading misinformation about other owners vehicles. I don't know if you have been through any of the tuning posts in the XK forum, but there has been some reports of the ecu defaulting back to stock after a period of time. This is something that seems to only be on the later ecu's, though. Once you've run the tune for a while (at least a couple hundred miles) is there anyway you could get on the dyno one more time just to put some minds at ease that the tuning will stay loaded? If things go correctly, you may even be surprised that you have gained some power due to the ecu adjusting for fuel trims and knock counts.

damienedwards (10-25-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RainsFather
Thanks again Patrick for the write up. Definitely helping push me to get my XKR tuned. Don't worry about DGL, for some reason even though he doesn't have his tuned he feels the need to comment on anyone else's tuning post like he personally created the act of tuning, often time spreading misinformation about other owners vehicles. I don't know if you have been through any of the tuning posts in the XK forum, but there has been some reports of the ecu defaulting back to stock after a period of time. This is something that seems to only be on the later ecu's, though. Once you've run the tune for a while (at least a couple hundred miles) is there anyway you could get on the dyno one more time just to put some minds at ease that the tuning will stay loaded? If things go correctly, you may even be surprised that you have gained some power due to the ecu adjusting for fuel trims and knock counts.
It is my plan to have the car re-run in about half a year or so. By then, this thread will be long buried. As of now, it seems the tune is still on there although I may have gotten used to the power already. But you know what they say, "power corrupts".

On a side note, I am planning to go to the dragstrip this weekend with the new tune and pulley. I've visited once before when the car only had the axle-back and I am hoping to better both my elapsed time as well as my trap speed. I will update the board once this is done.

Attached are my old timeslips. My number is 4009.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-before-drags.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by patrickw813:
1320racer (01-28-2016), Panthro (07-04-2016)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You can revive the thread by adding an update at any time.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:29 AM

Went back to the dragstrip this past Saturday. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was only able to get two good runs in before I had to leave the track. I wish I could have gotten some more runs in but sometimes life gets in the way!

In any case, I was able to beat my times from my last trip by quite a lot. Out of the three runs, I botched one start which left me with a significantly slower elapsed time compared to my other two runs.

Attached is a photo of two times slips. My car number is ten. Best run of the day was a 12.226 @ 117.29mph. Compared to my runs when stock, the tune and pulley helped me achieve two and a half miles per hour faster in trap speed and reduced my elapsed time by three tens of a second.

On a side note, the car was gaining trap speed with each run and I have no doubts that I could have tapped on the door of 118mph and a lower elapsed time if I were able to make a few more runs. Next time!

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged Tune &amp; Pulley - Before and After | Dyno Sheets Included-20151102_001826.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by patrickw813:
1320racer (01-28-2016), Panthro (07-04-2016), RainsFather (11-18-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

12.2@117 is mighty impressive. Think you can be in high 11s if the weather is cool?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickw813
Went back to the dragstrip this past Saturday. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was only able to get two good runs in before I had to leave the track. I wish I could have gotten some more runs in but sometimes life gets in the way!

In any case, I was able to beat my times from my last trip by quite a lot. Out of the three runs, I botched one start which left me with a significantly slower elapsed time compared to my other two runs.

Attached is a photo of two times slips. My car number is ten. Best run of the day was a 12.226 @ 117.29mph. Compared to my runs when stock, the tune and pulley helped me achieve two and a half miles per hour faster in trap speed and reduced my elapsed time by three tens of a second.

On a side note, the car was gaining trap speed with each run and I have no doubts that I could have tapped on the door of 118mph and a lower elapsed time if I were able to make a few more runs. Next time!
If you remember when we ran Patrick the, cool made a BIG difference in our performance. And my trap was virtually the same as yours is now with the tune and pulley...Welcome to the 117 trap club young man! We might have to do the strip in VEGAS to get same night runs and 11's..lol Get your fire jacket and helmet now!

Old 11-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Great read! Thanks for all the details. Very, very enjoyable.