XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Exhaust smell inside cabin driving me crazy, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Exhaust smell inside cabin driving me crazy, please help

Hello Folks,,

I have had sulfur smell on hard acceleration before. Thanks to the awesome members here it was determined that the catalytic converters were bad. Inspected cats and indeed they were bad, had a shop remove them and do straight pipes instead. Did custom ECU tune to get rid of Check engine light and for more power.

Now however, On hard accelerations I smell exhaust fumes inside the cabin. This only happens if I accelerates and the vents are closed that I smell the exhaust fumes. If I have ac running or just the fans without AC on (basically vents are open for air wether recirculated or fresh) and accelerate hard no smell what so ever. One thing I should mention is that my heater does not blow warm enough air (Don't know if it is related but thought worth mentioning).

Some said it might be a leaky manifold, others said there was a flexi joint on the exhaust near the cats that could break. I never heard of both on 5.0 engines. Mine is the 5.0 natuarlly aspirated not Supercharged. Vehicle is a 2012 with 54000 miles

Any input is appreaciated

Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

You should have replaced the cats with new ones and left the ECU alone, then you could have seen if your problem was solved. Now with no cats and a modified ECU...you made it that much harder to help you.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

It would be wise to look at the cabin pressure releaf flaps in the left hand rear gaurd/ fender ! Inside the boot/trunk . To make sure thare clean and closing properly !

Old 09-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
You should have replaced the cats with new ones and left the ECU alone, then you could have seen if your problem was solved. Now with no cats and a modified ECU...you made it that much harder to help you.
Sir,

Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? or are you one of those "just do what the dealership tells you" people?

How is deleting the cats making it harder to help? How is it tuning the ECU has anything to do with making it hard to help me? I am precisely stating that I smell exhaust fumes inside the cabin and you tell me an ECU tune that I did makes exhaust fumes go inside cabin??? SERIOUSLY?

If no cats and modified ECU is too complicated for you to help me then, by all means, thanks for stopping by, much appreciated, but I will be seeking help from other members

Old 09-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
It would be wise to look at the cabin pressure releaf flaps in the left hand rear gaurd/ fender ! Inside the boot/trunk . To make sure thare clean and closing properly !
I didn't know that our vehicles (XFs) had such a thing. I will make sure to look for them tonight when I get back to town. Thanks a lot for your input sir.

Regards,
Sam

Old 09-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

I suspect it's more likely to suggest a leak somewhere upstream in the exhaust system. Otherwise exhaust fumes should be well behind the car while you're driving. Would prob start with the exhaust manifold and see if it's cracked. Realistically think you need a mechanic to do a leak test on the full exhaust. There is a way to make it smoke heavily and look for leaks from engine all the way to tail pipes

I would have it investigated quickly. You could be getting CO exposure in the car while driving which is clearly dangerous

Old 09-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I suspect it's more likely to suggest a leak somewhere upstream in the exhaust system. Otherwise exhaust fumes should be well behind the car while you're driving. Would prob start with the exhaust manifold and see if it's cracked. Realistically think you need a mechanic to do a leak test on the full exhaust. There is a way to make it smoke heavily and look for leaks from engine all the way to tail pipes

I would have it investigated quickly. You could be getting CO exposure in the car while driving which is clearly dangerous
Will definitely book an appointment for it this week,, it started getting worse and with no cats I am directly inhaling CO.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes - not good!
Let us know how you get on and if you find the problem!

Old 05-08-2024, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 Jaguar Xf r-dynamic SE Sport

Originally Posted by croco
Hello Folks,,

I have had sulfur smell on hard acceleration before. Thanks to the awesome members here it was determined that the catalytic converters were bad. Inspected cats and indeed they were bad, had a shop remove them and do straight pipes instead. Did custom ECU tune to get rid of Check engine light and for more power.

Now however, On hard accelerations I smell exhaust fumes inside the cabin. This only happens if I accelerates and the vents are closed that I smell the exhaust fumes. If I have ac running or just the fans without AC on (basically vents are open for air wether recirculated or fresh) and accelerate hard no smell what so ever. One thing I should mention is that my heater does not blow warm enough air (Don't know if it is related but thought worth mentioning).

Some said it might be a leaky manifold, others said there was a flexi joint on the exhaust near the cats that could break. I never heard of both on 5.0 engines. Mine is the 5.0 natuarlly aspirated not Supercharged. Vehicle is a 2012 with 54000 miles

Any input is appreaciated
Hi. I recently bought 2024 Jaguar and as soon as I got on freeway I too had smell of something toxic coming into cabin of car, mind you I had hour half drive home.. I was coughing and eyes burning and i just felt so sick and drowsy... it was too late to call jaguar of riverside where I purchased vehicle so reached out next day. They said oh give it a week or so and turn on air conditioning w windows down... its below 55* at that time in high desert. I've taken car into Riverside Jaguar Range Rover few times and nothing came of it.. you can also see residue on back windows of this chemicle as outside of exhause manifold my car had it all over back rsar bumper it was rust color like sand pitted residue...

As I researched and found someone who knew what I was experiencing it was called cosmoline... it's a chemical they use on new vehicles to keep them from damage of rust or salt water issues when they are shipped, and in my case care was shipped overseas. This chemical is bad if inhaled can cause cancer. I am looking into lawsuit at this time.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Please start your own post.
Way too complicated and your messing up croco's thread?