XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Extended Warranty: YES or NO ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Extended Warranty: YES or NO ?

I was one of the first guys on the block (actually, in the county) to get an XF.. Mine was the 2nd sale off the first delivery-truck back at the end of April '08. Now she's coming up on 4 years and I'm starting to think about an extended warranty and if it's necessary/makes sense.

The car has been pretty reliable but this last week I had to have some brass fittings & oRings that connect the supercharger to the manifold (or throttlebody or something) and got all new fuel-injectors. Since apparently the oRings require the engine to be lifted to access them it was a pretty big job. I shutter to think of what the cost would have been if it wasnt under warranty.

The car is XF Supercharged, and currently has 18,500 miles. I've put in performance exhaust and an upper supercharger pulley from Mina.

So - what is the current wisdom on extended warranties and/or what should I watch out for?

Last edited by Randy; 12-18-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would purchase an extended warranty because the costs for repairs are extremely high especially associated with the engine, supercharger and drive trane.

I purchased a preowned XF SC a few months back that was also introduced in service August 2008. Fortunately I purchased it with a 6 year bumper to bumper..shish covers me thru mid 2014. Saying that, I have already brought the car in several times for small fixes, now I am having a problem with the steering mechanism and inside liner squeaks. I have approx. 39,500 miles to date.

BUY THE EXYENDED WARRANTY!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always steared clear of extended warranties, which are obviously money-makers for the providers which means they normally don't pay off for the consumer. It's insurance of course, and makes more sense if financially you can't comfortably afford the cost of a big repair.

That said, I've actually considered one for this car (warranty expires in May) because of stories like yours Randy and my own smaller issues. I'm more likely to just take my chances or move on to something else, maybe a newer XF even.

Wonder what the price range on warranties would be on our cars. $2-3k? Obviously, I know there are several variables to consider.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 12-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,843 Likes on 8,767 Posts

I've got Easy Care "Total Care" warranty on mine. It was included in the price from the dealer and I needed it last January. Battery went dead, had it towed to the dealer (30 miles away), tow included in warranty. The service dept. handled all of the paperwork and all I did upon return was to pay a small deductible and was on my way. No fuss, problems etc. I was very pleased with the entire transaction.
The warranty included $30/day for a rental, but the choices left me colder than an Alaska winter. The on-site rental place (Enterprise) gal saw the look on my face and magically came up with a new XF. It cost $20/day extra, but was worth it.

www.easycare.com

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

It is just insurance and should be purchased on that basis. The cheaper the cost the less likely you will need it.

I prefer to compare the cost of future repairs which are uncertain with the depreciation cost of a new car with its warranty which is depressingly predictable. It takes a very unreliable car to come close to the cost of buying a new one.

Even new car makers have discovered the money to be made offering extended warranties on their used product. After all, they know just how crappy their own cars are from their new car warranty costs. They also get a captive market for servicing as usually their extended warranties are only valid at thir dealers. Something to think about.

Last edited by jagular; 12-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

I have used warrantydirect.com for other cars with good results, including my old 1998 XJ8L.

But when I checked the warranty for the XF, it was around $6-7K! That's crazy money and a sign of how much Jags overprice service.

We have good independent shops here in Houston, so I really doubt I will buy an extended warranty for the new 2011 XF I am buying right now.

If your only choice is dealer service, then it might make sense to pay that kind of money, but with a non-SC and non-dealer requirements, I'm compelled to take my chances.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy
I was one of the first guys on the block (actually, in the county) to get an XF.. Mine was the 2nd sale off the first delivery-truck back at the end of April '08.....
I hate to burst your bubble but…., I bought mine from Monterey Rolls Royce Land Rover Jaguar on February 29th 2008 (leap year) – VIN# HR02322. I had special ordered a Midnight Black Premium Luxury which wasn't to arrive until May however when the dealers were sent their showroom models (in February 2008) one of them arrived equipped exactly as I ordered (plus with a couple items I didn’t). Since I previously purchased a few cars from this dealer they offered it to me "early". So I took it!

I have no idea if I was “first” in the Country or CA but if getting yours in April makes you one of the “first in the country” then I was first in the Universe.

And while I am a believer in NOT buying extended warranties, I purchased the Jaguar Certified Warranty last week as mine expires this coming leap year (2/29/12). I really like the car and have had not one issue with 27Kmi so I decided to “invest” in a little peace of mind. If the car continues to be as trouble-free as it is then it was a "waste" but I like the XF so much I don't mind!

Cheers,

Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

CA-SPORT: What is the time period and coverage of the Jag Certified you purchased? Can you say how much you paid?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my XFR, the finance guy quoted $7,800 for the extended warranty. I didn't buy it.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

The warranty on my My 08 XK ran out earlier this month. Like many of you, I have never seriously considered an extended warranty, but the repair costs on these cars are astronomical and I was growing more concerned as each day ticked by to the end of the warranty period.

So, after several weeks of pretty intensive research, I purchased a comprehensive extended warranty through CarChex.com. I looked at about a half dozen different sources before I made my choice. I felt any warranty company I gave my business to would have to be an active member of the BBB with at least an "A" rating, would have to provide me the contract first to review and compare with other contracts, and would have to have been in business for at least 10 years with as few "negative" reviews as possible. Carchex met or exceeded all those requirements and had some heavy hitting business partners as well. As I said in a previous post, I did discover a few things everyone should know:

1. No company I researched provided the absolute 100% "bumper to bumper" new car warranty we are used to enjoying in brand new cars. Instead, the most comprehensive aftermarket warranties are called "exclusion warranties" in that they will agree to cover everything in your car EXCEPT what is specifically described in the "exclusion" paragraph.

2. Warranty companies had some major differences over what appeared on their "exclusions" list. As expected, the ones with the shortest "exclusions" list, tended to cost more, sometimes significantly more.

3. Watch out for any general or generic statements in the exclusion paragraph that COULD be open to interpretation. The companies I talked to all had VERY specific and easy to understand exclusions. the company I ultimately went with clearly identified every specific excluded part by name.

4. One company representative I spoke with gave me a "heads up" to watch out for companies that excluded "wear & tear" coverage. At first, one might think it appropriate for wear & tear to be excluded, until it was explained to me that most suspension and transmission repairs run the danger of falling under the "wear & tear" category.

5. Make sure "wear & tear" is covered for the life of the contract and not just the first X number of miles.

6. Many companies exclude touch screens, "head's up" displays, and other similiar technologies. However, if the company covers factory installed Navigation units (mine does), then some (like mine) will cover the touch screen "if necessary to use the Nav unit"..

At the end of the day, I went with Carchex even though they excluded a couple of things I was not particularly happy about (e.g., the stereo system and the remote control transmitters & receiver). Taking everything I learned into consideration. the total cost vs. coverage was the most reasonable.

In my case, we warranted a 2008 Jaguar XK convertible for five years past the end date of the original factory warranty, or a total 100,000 accumulated miles (whichever comes first) for about $4,000.00.

BTW, want to know the one major intangible benefit of buying the extended warranty?

I am sleeping WAAAAAY better at night.....

Last edited by Stillwaters; 01-23-2012 at 05:38 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Stillwaters:
daomoniker (10-21-2015), Holeecow (05-16-2013), liza (01-04-2014), Quartzboy (04-14-2015), Reaxions (06-09-2016), sparkenzap (09-04-2015), XJL (03-18-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

CA-SPORT how much did you pay for your extended insurance? Warren Henry Jaguar in Miami offering it for around $6000. I am still thinking about.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nation warranty

You might want to try here ... the quotes for 2009 XF supercharged are reasonable for 72 months - 75,000 miles with $100 deductible ... the quote was $3640 ... For 100K miles, it is $5155...

- Special electronics package available for an additional $200 (includes Navigation etc...)

I haven't used them but I am looking into it since mine expires next year.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Where is here? Please post web site name. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... it says in the title "Nation Warranty" ...

www.nationwarranty.com

Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at buying a 2009 XF Luxury and pricing out warranties. Coming from the Audi world so the prices of around $4k quoted here sound about right. Is there a Jaguar approved scheme (even if not their own most marques will accredit one)? The car I'm looking at is 40k at the moment. Does anyone know if I can buy a Jag extended warranty even though I was not the original owner?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,843 Likes on 8,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Stelvio
Looking at buying a 2009 XF Luxury and pricing out warranties. Coming from the Audi world so the prices of around $4k quoted here sound about right. Is there a Jaguar approved scheme (even if not their own most marques will accredit one)? The car I'm looking at is 40k at the moment. Does anyone know if I can buy a Jag extended warranty even though I was not the original owner?

Yes, I wasn't the original owner when I leased mine in June 2008. The warranty co. is:
www.easycare.com. My warranty expires when I turn the Jag back in next June.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Many of these aftermarket warranties are not transferable. Make sure you wil be keeping the car for the full warranty period.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 AM

The Carchex.com warranty is "one time" transferable from the original purchaser of the warranty to the next owner...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyone have experience with the service contract offered by Costco? It seems to have reasonable and explicit exclusions, covers normal wear and tear, and is transferable with a $40 fee. Haven't dug into the cost yet.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SCMike
Anyone have experience with the service contract offered by Costco? It seems to have reasonable and explicit exclusions, covers normal wear and tear, and is transferable with a $40 fee. Haven't dug into the cost yet.
I looked into COSTCO before I went with CarChex. COSTCO has fewer exclusions (covers a bit more) than CarChex does but does cost more. In my case, Carchex provided 5 years or 100,000 total miles with a $50.00 deductable for about $4,100.00. COSTCO offered 4 years (maybe 75,000 miles? I forget) with a $250.00 deductable for about $5,100.000.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: YES or NO ?