XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Extended Warranty: YES or NO ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Costco also offers exclusionary extended warranties. I plan to purchase through them.

Vehicle Protection Plans

Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Genuine Warranty Solutions << Stay Away>>

I second someones rec above to STAY AWAY from Genuine Warranty Solutions out of Arizona. They find anyway they can to NOT fix your car and they are rude and yell at you then hang up on you when you challenge what they tell you. Plus they have a F rating with the local arizona BBB!!!

Last edited by MBary; 05-19-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heck yeah...

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, except when dealing with Jaguars. Get the warranty!!!!!!!!!! Just my opinion.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
I was one of the first guys on the block (actually, in the county) to get an XF.. Mine was the 2nd sale off the first delivery-truck back at the end of April '08. Now she's coming up on 4 years and I'm starting to think about an extended warranty and if it's necessary/makes sense.

The car has been pretty reliable but this last week I had to have some brass fittings & oRings that connect the supercharger to the manifold (or throttlebody or something) and got all new fuel-injectors. Since apparently the oRings require the engine to be lifted to access them it was a pretty big job. I shutter to think of what the cost would have been if it wasnt under warranty.

The car is XF Supercharged, and currently has 18,500 miles. I've put in performance exhaust and an upper supercharger pulley from Mina.

So - what is the current wisdom on extended warranties and/or what should I watch out for?
Originally Posted by CA-sport
I hate to burst your bubble but…., I bought mine from Monterey Rolls Royce Land Rover Jaguar on February 29th 2008 (leap year) – VIN# HR02322. I had special ordered a Midnight Black Premium Luxury which wasn't to arrive until May however when the dealers were sent their showroom models (in February 2008) one of them arrived equipped exactly as I ordered (plus with a couple items I didn’t). Since I previously purchased a few cars from this dealer they offered it to me "early". So I took it!

I have no idea if I was “first” in the Country or CA but if getting yours in April makes you one of the “first in the country” then I was first in the Universe.

And while I am a believer in NOT buying extended warranties, I purchased the Jaguar Certified Warranty last week as mine expires this coming leap year (2/29/12). I really like the car and have had not one issue with 27Kmi so I decided to “invest” in a little peace of mind. If the car continues to be as trouble-free as it is then it was a "waste" but I like the XF so much I don't mind!

Cheers,
Well, mine is a Vapour Grey XF-SC, Dec '07 build. VIN: R01115... anybody beat that? (And yes, I know I am responding to old posts, wondering if these gentlemen still have their cars.)
I purchased Jaguar's extended warranty, which takes it to 6 years from the "in service date" or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Last edited by VapourTrail; 05-14-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Certified Pre-Owned costs $3200. Takes you to 6 years / 100K from the original in-service date. In otherwords, it covers you for 2-years and 50,000 miles beyond the expiration of the original warranty.

Generally, speaking, if you are OK with forgoing dealer service and go to an independent shop. You can probably address one drive train issue and many smaller fixes during that period for the price of the warranty. You need to have a mechanic you can trust and which doesn't have very high labor rates. And, you are going to put up with more hassles if things do break. But, from a monetary standpoint, I don't know of ANY extended warranty that pays back the purchase price the majority of the time. If so, they won't sell it!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight looi
Certified Pre-Owned costs $3200. Takes you to 6 years / 100K from the original in-service date. In otherwords, it covers you for 2-years and 50,000 miles beyond the expiration of the original warranty.

Generally, speaking, if you are OK with forgoing dealer service and go to an independent shop. You can probably address one drive train issue and many smaller fixes during that period for the price of the warranty. You need to have a mechanic you can trust and which doesn't have very high labor rates. And, you are going to put up with more hassles if things do break. But, from a monetary standpoint, I don't know of ANY extended warranty that pays back the purchase price the majority of the time. If so, they won't sell it!
That may be true if you drive a Chevy or a Ford, but when it comes to high end cars, you can spend a small mortgage for repairs for a major failure. I bought the extended warranty on my wife's 2007 BMW X-3 and it paid for itself three times over with several major issues. I haven't encountered anything like that with the Jag as yet; however, they did replace the dash cap ($1800) and a couple of other small items. BTW, I only spent $1500 on the extended warranty, and about the same for my BMW one, but maybe these things are more expensive in California.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Just got a price from Car Chex of $5100 zero deductible 6 year 75,000 for 2010 XK with 18,000 miles. Sounds pricey but so are any repairs to this car. Nav goes south=big dollars.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Usually electronics like the Nav are not covered. I would check the fine print.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Extended Warranty

Extended my warranty through Jaguar yesterday. for Jaguar XF 2010 Premium. 4 year warranty expires in 30 days. Current mileage 26,700. Extended warranty for six years or up to 75,000 miles for $2551. No deductible if serviced through Jaguar dealer, $100 otherwise.

This policy had to be purchased more than 30 days before regular warranty expired. Beat it by one day.

Much better price than through outside sellers for piece of mind. It's a great car which has had its share on problems (including replacing the transmission). Thought of replacing it but the car still looks almost new and rides great.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just bought the jaguar extended warranty for my xk. 2100 for 6 years 75000 miles. Best deal in town. Note just hoping it works for me.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll buy a Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned car which comes with an extended warranty to 6-yrs/100K miles, mainly because all the best used specimens seem to the certified cars. Meaning they would never have been in an accident or have any major blemish. This is important, because I find that I get the best deals if I shop nationwide on the internet and not just locally when buying used. Being a Jaguar Select Certified car gives me the peace of mind when buying remoting without ever seeing the car in person or test driving it. And, I can get them for $2000K over non-certified ones.

However, if I am in front of a car -- which is otherwise immaculate and has a clean carfax report -- but that does not have an extended warranty, and I am offered it for $3K or 4K there is no way I'll buy the warranty. The chances of a "major" repair in the typical 2~3 year extended warranty period is small. "Major" being a complete transmission tear down and rebuilt for instance; not a bad starter or alternator or water pump or any one of those "few hundred dollars" jobs. And, if you go to an independent mechanic, even a major repair will generally not cost more than 3~4K. So, even if I have to do it once, it's still only a wash. The key here is that once you are out of warranty DON'T EVER GO TO THE DEALER!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddhan625
Costco also offers exclusionary extended warranties. I plan to purchase through them.
Per the website, there is no coverage for Jaguar. It's not listed in the drop down menu for "MAKE." Link below:

Vehicle Protection Plans

Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by XJL
Per the website, there is no coverage for Jaguar. It's not listed in the drop down menu for "MAKE." Link below:

Vehicle Protection Plans
You need to call them unless they have stopped offering it.

1-877-900-9025

I bought my warranty from Costco July 2013

The following users liked this post:
XJL (12-31-2013)