XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Facelift XF drivers side headlights inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Facelift XF Headlights Inop.

Hi guys,

I just got my 2012 Jaguar XF back from the shop which they replaced my tensionor on the engine. It was loose and causing vibration . Also the mechanic found air leaks and fixed them.

My car drives great now after so long but just a couple days after getting it back I finally notice my drivers headlight is not working.

Looking at the reflection of the van ahead of me I could notice only my day time running lights were on with the headlight not working . The passenger side headlight was working with the DRLs. Setting was in Auto Headlight.

Before noticing it I did use my High Beam flash a couple times... maybe it tripped a circuit breaker ?

or maybe the mechanic might have unplugged and forgot to plug it back when reassembling the car ?

What should I do? Are these just life limited bulbs in there or lifetime ?

thanks for your help

Last edited by hen555; 08-19-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

No circuit breakers or fuses in the XF lighting system, it uses FETs (Field Effect Transistors), and I've never heard of one of them playing up enough to need replacing. If the DRL is working then the power plug must be connected properly.
The headlight globes are HID / BiXenon and they are a replaceable "wear and tear" item, not intended to last forever. It's odds on your HID globe has conked out. I think the facelift XF uses D3S bulbs, although I know the pre-facelift / "classic" uses D1S. I'm pretty sure you can still use D1S to replace D3S, I think the only real difference is the mercury content. In most if not all markets the OEM globes are Osram Zenarc.
I think you have to remove the whole headlight assembly from the car to replace the globes, once you have removed the assembly it's not hard to do, but removing the assembly is the hard part. Easy to do on a pre-facelift but many have struggled to do so on a facelift, as the "third bolt" is hidden somewhere obscure unlike the pre-facelift where it's easy to find up in the wheel well. I seem to recall that on the facelift XF you have to drop the front bumper to access that third bolt, not hard to do but fairly time consuming.
All that said, it may be possible to access and change the globe without removing anything major, just remove the round plastic dust cover from the back of the headlight (it twists and/or pulls off) and see if you can get your hand in there far enough to grip and twist the back of the globe about 1/4 turn. Even if you can do this it's a PITA to remove the little cable clip on the globe, but I did it on my F-Type just using my thumbnail to bend the little tangs out a bit.

Last edited by OzXFR; 08-19-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 AM

That's a geat post thanks for that.

I checked / further tested today and I just felt so happy to see that the light was working. It may have been a glitch or maybe it is nearing failure... or maybe was just seeing things.

I think I might just take it to the shop if it does go out , sounds like something cool to try doing my self. Maybe if somone posts a video on YouTube how to do it wud help a lot.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Just got my car back again from the dealership and noticed headlight inoperative on drivers side.

Went out took a picture. I cycled the lights from off to on and then the light was working again.

Any idea what it could be?

Think this is a warranty item? My warranty is expiring in a month.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2018, 04:43 PM

Solution: Dealership replaced the burner/bulb and now it works perfectly. Wasn't under warranty for me - although i think it should have been. Just need to angle the headlight which is a DIY.

PN: C2N1716 Burner-Headlamp - $339.99CAD + 1Hr labour is what they charged me.

Last edited by hen555; 04-07-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Yeah, the Xenon's don't last much longer than regular bulbs with either the bulb or the ballast going bad.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 04-07-2018 at 10:36 PM.