XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fighting an Adaptive Dynamic Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 06:08 PM
|
Default Fighting an Adaptive Dynamic Light

Hello all, I drive a 2015 Jaguar XF 5.0 V8 SC. A couple months ago, I hit a pretty nasty bump, and noticed a high-pitched squeak from the front left suspension the next day. Eventually ended up having a local mechanic replace both lower control arms and both shocks.

When I got my car back, it was quiet, but less than a mile down the road the yellow “adaptive dynamic fault” came on. Brought it back to the mechanic, and they told me the front left shock was defective, citing their multimeter giving a resistance of 6 ohms, vice the 2-3.5 that it’s supposed to be. So, followed their advice, got a refund on that shock, got another one, had them install it…but the light remains.

The error codes are C110C-64, and C110C-14, both intermittent. Both point to the FL circuit being open/shorting to ground at some point.

They now want the car for 3 days to do a full electrical diagnostic, and essentially admitted that they don’t know what’s causing it. Eager to avoid being charged for 3 days of labor (and going carless), I theorized that the small plastic plug that plugs into the top of the shock could be faulty. Bought one from an XK on eBay (pictured. I couldn’t notice any differences between the old one and this one). Spliced it in, no change.

When I got the car back initially, the light wouldn’t come on for a few minutes, and for the first week or two, the “time” I had before the light popped on slowly decreases, until the present, where it comes on basically as soon as I lift my foot off the brake in drive (it does not come on in reverse).

Also, after splicing the new plug, I started the car with it not plugged in at all just to see what would happen, and the light immediately came on - no wait, like how it is now.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the light is starting to get annoying, and I don’t particularly trust these mechanics (recently moved, haven’t found a shop I trust yet). Ride is still smooth, but it doesn’t firm up when driving aggressively (like it did before). I didn’t buy a car with nearly 500 hp to never drive aggressively.

Old 09-14-2024 | 09:08 PM

Check the resistance of both damper solenoids. It should be reading between 2.5-3.5 ohms. I ran into this issue earlier and found out it was my left front shock solenoid that broke when I installed new top hats. The codes you mentioned are both front shocks. Now you said the reading was 6 ohms?? That would have to be from a 2009 shock, I ran into this last week the 2009 shocks are not compatible from our cars with the 5.0 and it will throw this code causing this.

The following users liked this post:
idrive (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024 | 06:20 PM
|

You were right - resistances of both shocks hover around 6 ohms.

Now, what are the correct shocks? Pictured is what I ordered from eliteracefab, matching what the first mechanic told me he would order. 2009-2015 XF Supercharged (as well as XFR) is explicitly listed in the compatibility table. Link here too: https://eliteracefab.com/products/bi...waAiz7EALw_wcB

Interestingly, when I ordered the shocks, they cost $408 each (the cheapest I could find), but now they cost $492 each. Suspicious. So, either two mechanics - neither of which have earned my trust - recommended the wrong shocks, or eliteracefab was advertising one shock and sending another.

Also, where are you getting that my error codes point to both front shocks? The 2010 XFR workshop manual I've been using has C110C codes as referring to the left, and C110D as referring to the right. Not questioning you, but I am curious what you're referencing.

Old 09-16-2024 | 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
You were right - resistances of both shocks hover around 6 ohms.

Now, what are the correct shocks? Pictured is what I ordered from eliteracefab, matching what the first mechanic told me he would order. 2009-2015 XF Supercharged (as well as XFR) is explicitly listed in the compatibility table. Link here too: https://eliteracefab.com/products/bi...waAiz7EALw_wcB

Interestingly, when I ordered the shocks, they cost $408 each (the cheapest I could find), but now they cost $492 each. Suspicious. So, either two mechanics - neither of which have earned my trust - recommended the wrong shocks, or eliteracefab was advertising one shock and sending another.

Also, where are you getting that my error codes point to both front shocks? The 2010 XFR workshop manual I've been using has C110C codes as referring to the left, and C110D as referring to the right. Not questioning you, but I am curious what you're referencing.

well I had C110C-14 and that calls for the front left damper when I scanned it and researching online the C110D-64 calls for the front right shock. I couldn’t find any new shocks online that worked for my car and just ordered lightly used ones online on eBay. If the solenoid is not between 2..4-3.5 ohms it will throw these codes. I replaced my one with shock from a 2009 xf SV8 thinking it was the same and the resistance was around 6 ohms. After researching a lot I found out they aren’t compatible with the newer CATS system. Now when I turned on the car it wouldn’t throw the code but as soon as I moved the car and the shock would move it would throw the code immediately. I found this on the forums, this should help you.

Old 09-18-2024 | 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's more complicated than that?
As you know Jaguar supplies parts using the last 6 digits of the VIN. So you need to always check that with Jaguar.
In Jpart I see a bunch of different part numbers for the front struts?

Can you post the last 6 digits of the VIN?
Maybe we can get the correct part number first?

Old 09-18-2024 | 05:59 PM
|

Last 6 of the vin are U73414. The original shock was green with a white label.

Old 09-18-2024 | 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think it's more complicated than that?
As you know Jaguar supplies parts using the last 6 digits of the VIN. So you need to always check that with Jaguar.
In Jpart I see a bunch of different part numbers for the front struts?

Can you post the last 6 digits of the VIN?
Maybe we can get the correct part number first?
I believe the only differences in the vins with the shocks is the spring rates on each one, I could be wrong. But as long as it’s from 2010 - 2015 green with white label it should work I wouldn’t see why it wouldn’t? If the spring rate is different on others he can just reuse his current springs. With all the parts being outdated I highly doubt he will be able to find an exact match for his vin and if so probably pay and arm and a leg for it.

Last edited by gretle_2.0; 09-18-2024 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I think your right the springs are different. Yes I would reuse the springs unless there is a reason not too?

Looks like there is some confusion in JPART but maybe not?
The VIN leads to a V-6 SC engine but further down it lists the 5.0L SC separately.

It does show number C2Z15404 and is a blue label? Also shows C2Z11484 and white label. Both match what was posted above so I think those are the correct part numbers.
What's interesting is they list them by torque ratings? Never seen parts listed like that.

Now which of these two numbers to get? Do your originals have any paint color on them? I might have missed it if you posted that already?

Last edited by clubairth1; 09-19-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 11:26 AM
|

Original shock is white label. So C2Z11484. What's funny is that both part numbers are listed as compatible for the Bilstein 26-203034, which I thought would be fine, since Bilstein makes Jaguar's shocks. But apparently not. I noticed that 26-203034 is listed as compatible with the 2009 XF SV8, which we know uses different shocks, with a 6 ohm resistance. Jaguar OEM websites do not list 2009 models as compatible with C2Z11484 or C2Z15404, though. I suspect that either shock would probably be fine, but I'll be going with C2Z11484 as that matches the white label.

I'm still in the process of getting a refund from the website I ordered the Bilsteins from, on false advertising grounds (listed as compatible with my car, down to the part number, and is not). After that, I'll bite the bullet and sell a kidney or something to get the C2Z11484 shocks direct from a dealer website. Will report back when all is said and done (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Old 10-13-2024 | 03:52 PM
|

Updating this thread for any future travelers who may run into the same issues as me. I tried to order C2Z11484 from a couple different Jaguar dealerships, but it was always unavailable. So, I ended up ordering C2Z25908, which is for the XFR-S (but listed as compatible with my car as well). Installed them, and no more fault light! Car rides as smooth as ever, and actually does seem just a little more taut in dynamic mode than before. To my understanding, the XFR-S shocks are a little stiffer in their hard setting, so that makes sense. Also, surprisingly, they are slightly cheaper than C2Z11484.

They're bright yellow too, vice the normal green.