XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

FINALLY - Bought the NEW XF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply jaguny. Do you feel the Jaguar XF handles better/is more fun to drive than a 5 series, since you have both?
would you recommend buying a 2011 model as it would be cheaper? Does the 2012 model have a lot of improvements over the last year?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM

I have never driven a Jaguar but the Audi A6 seems kind of dry when you drive it, it's uninspiring and not much fun. The 5 series drives really well so I guess I am torn between this and the XF.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I don't have a 5 series, I have and older X5. I drove the 5 series extensively before buying the XF. In my opinion, for the 5 series to handle as good as the XF, you need to get the Active Roll Stabilzation option for $2500. I also did not like the hestitation in the 6 cyliner version (535) and would recommend the V8 (550). BMW's come with run flat tires. There were significant ongoing issues with the runflats on the new 5. One of the nice features of the 5 and the Audi A6 is you can adjust the throttle, steering feel, and suspension independantly of each other. So if you want a tighter feel but better gas mileage you can set it up that way. In the end, the XF SC I thought had the best balanced driving feel, the cleaner looker interior for the money.

I did a test drive weekend when I drove, back to back, the 535, Audi A6, and the XF SC and NA. Picked the Jag. If money was not a consideration, I may have bought a 550 fully optioned and then added after market spriings. I put my thoughts down in a response to another member's question. I will post the link.

The 5 series is a great car, it has it's faults, just like all cars. For pure driving, I think the SC handles better as set up without further options, as it has the sport and dynamic mode options that stiffen the steering and adjust the throttle. If you get a 535 and are ok with 6 cylinder you can spend the money you would spend on a SC to add the ARS and some other options.

You should drive the Jag, Audi and BMW back to back if you can and then decide. Which models are you considering? I also liked the Audi S5, but in the end wanted the four doors and the nicer interior, but that is a nicely styled car.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-11-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Ashwin, Here is the link to my previous post on the various cars I test drove. These are just my opinions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...64/#post479218

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashwin
Congrats Arlingtonman! The car looks awesome, and the Bowers Wilkins stereo adds at least a couple of thousand dollars to the value!
I love the Jaguar models, they probably offer more value for money than the German luxury cars. Question for people here though, when I search reviews on the net it seems Jaguar is rated quite low for longterm reliability and apparently has a lot of technical issues in the long run. Is this true? Would like to see if people here can comment on this considering most own these cars.
Hi Ashwin,
Those low ratings are misleading and unfair to the XF. The issues that are responsible for the low ratings (such as the cold-solder joint problem in the shifter) were mostly the normal first-year glitches that were eventually ironed out. About the only continuing issue seems to be miscellaneous squeaks which seem to be caused from the tight seals around the doors and sunroof.

In the area where I live, BMW's are as common as Camry's are everywhere else. I really like driving something with performance and beauty that is unique.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Regarding the 2011 vs 2012 XF , I don't think the 2012 is particularly better-looking or better equipped than than the 2011. If you can find a new 2011, that would be the best deal on the market. Dealers are giving HUGE incentives to sell them, and with the 2011 you have 5 year/50k miles complimentary maintenance, so you don't have to buy anything except tires and gas...which they did away with in 2012, a huge disappointment.

The only "major" changes between the 2011 and 2012 are that the 2012 has different headlights and taillights (more rounded as compared with the harsher lines of the 2011) and the interior touch screen interface. Apart from that, they're the same exact car, and I actually prefer the headlights and taillights of the 2009-11 XF compared to the new 2012 XF.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
With the Bowers and Wilken sound system, mine has a Dolby Pro Logic feature. Do you have this on your system? If so, have you tried it? Transforms the car into a concert hall. I believe your deal was good based on the prices of cars that can be purchased directly from lending institutions when they come off lease that have no prep or additional warranty.
I don't know - how would I know if I have this Dolby Pro Logic feature you speak of? Is it in the sound settings in the navigation unit?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks to Arlingtonman, Jaguny,Hackman for taking the time to answer some of my questions. Jaguny I did check out the link to your post and found it very helpful. I was actually looking at Audi A6, 5 series and now Jaguar XF. For all the reasons you love the XF, I loved it on paper too, I guess its time to test drive these cars and try to pick the one I like most.
Another question do you think should wait till September for the 2013 version or maybe get the 2012 version much cheaper around that time? From this forum seems like Jaguar is going to launch multiple versions including with a V6 (though that may kill some of its appeal)?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
I don't know - how would I know if I have this Dolby Pro Logic feature you speak of? Is it in the sound settings in the navigation unit?
According to the manual, Select AUDIO on the touch screen, go to settings, then select using your soft keys, Stereo (surround sound is off), 3CH (3 channel surround) or DPLII (Dolby Pro Logic II surround). You want DPLII. If you have it a small symbol with DPLII appears on your screen.

See what you come up with.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
According to the manual, Select AUDIO on the touch screen, go to settings, then select using your soft keys, Stereo (surround sound is off), 3CH (3 channel surround) or DPLII (Dolby Pro Logic II surround). You want DPLII. If you have it a small symbol with DPLII appears on your screen.

See what you come up with.
Thanks-will let you know what I come up with. Pick up the car Wednesday night! It can't come soon enough!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks to Arlingtonman, Jaguny,Hackman for taking the time to answer some of my questions. Jaguny I did check out the link to your post and found it very helpful. I was actually looking at Audi A6, 5 series and now Jaguar XF. For all the reasons you love the XF, I loved it on paper too, I guess its time to test drive these cars and try to pick the one I like most.
Another question do you think should wait till September for the 2013 version or maybe get the 2012 version much cheaper around that time? From this forum seems like Jaguar is going to launch multiple versions including with a V6 (though that may kill some of its appeal)?
I doubt a V6 will be coming to the US anytime soon, and to be honest, the 2011s are where the best deals are. They look about the same as the 2011-I actually think they look BETTER than the '12s and they're practically giving them away. My dealer offered me $12k off MSRP. Plus, complimentary maintenance is included for 5yrs/50,000miles....which if you are planning on having your car services at the jaguar dealership, would be very nice considering how $$$ it is.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a brand new 2011 a few weeks ago (about 100 miles). I guess it depends on what you want. The prices on the 2012's will come down as the 2013's become available. Not sure thought if a V6 becomes available if it will have an impact on 2012 V8's or what the 2013 version will bring. I like the headlights on the 2012, and the subtle interior changes, but for the money the 2011 is great. If price is a factor, I would get a 2012. At this point the 2011 warranties have started running, even on the new ones as the dealers bought them from the manufacturer's to get them out of inventory (as far as I understand), so a 2011 may have a bit longer warranty, but you need to check, if you are considering a 2011.

I found each manufacturer's line of cars and how they are optioned had an impact on my decision. If I could have gotten sports seats in the A6 and some nice interior features it would have been a stronger contender, but I couldn't fix the profile (side view) of the car no matter what the options.

What are you looking for in the car? Speed, handling, balance, luxury? Are you considering a S/C Jag? Also, Audi and BMW have all wheel drive. I wanted that but picked the Jag anyway due to the other factors.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To Ashwin

I agree the better warranty comes with the 2011's. That is the one thing that made me think twice about getting a 2012. Awww, who am I kidding! I fell in LOVE with the new face. As soon as I saw it I knew that's the model I wanted. I had been looking for about a year until I found the one I couldn't pass up. I'd test driven the old and the new and as someone already said there isnt much difference. The front lights, rear lights, the interior looks better TO ME, and the infotainment is a little faster. It is still SLOW compared to say your smartphone if that's what you are used to but I've already gotten used to it. That was enough for me. If you really are thinking 2012, you can find deals, they just aren't as common as 2011's. The sticker price on mine was $61375 and I got it for $50900 with 282 MILES on it. Over $10000 off! But they did take the 19's off and put 18's on and I had to travel to get it. But that was nothing(to me of course), and I don't know if you would want to do that.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Default Need advice

This is one of the most friendly forums as far as cars are concerned.
I need some advice from experienced people in this forum(would really appreciate it). Found a CPO 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury and a Jaguar XF Supercharged 2009 with all the usual bells and whistles at a local dealer and they are asking the following prices (both cars have around 33000 miles on):

2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury - $33500 (dealer is asking 2000$ extra for the 24 month CPO warranty) so this will be a total of $ 35,500.

2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged - $ 37,500 (again dealer is asking 2000$ extra for the 24 month CPO warranty) so a total of $39,500

The above prices do not include the tax (3%).

I have a few questions:

1. What do you guys think about these prices? The dealer says they are the lowest he can give and not very open to more negotiating. How much more should I try to reduce this?

2. What do you guys think about choosing XF vs XF SC. I did test drive both of them. The XF Premium Luxury drives very well but the XF SC is a beast to drive. I just dont know how the XF SC is for daily driving. I will be using the car as a regular car for daily commutes to work and some occasional long distance trips.

Would appreciate any advice regarding this.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

The prices don't seem to unreasonable. You may want to hold out for a 2010 though as I understand some of the first year bugs were worked out and the engines were upsized.

I chose a SC as a daily driver and wouldn't have done otherwise. It has a limited slip differential, and the shocks adjust to road feedback. It has the extra horses, too. If these these features are important then the SC is the way to go. I use it as a daily driver and look forward to jumping in the car and driving to work. What are your concerns about the SC? It does use gas, particularily if you drive aggessively.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 AM

Hello Jaguny! Thanks for your reply. The SC felt GREAT to drive. How much mpg does it give?
2010s are more expensive and my local dealers don't have them.
The sc does not have any original 4 year warranty left as it was put in service mid 2008
Is it common practice to have to pay extra for the 24 month warranty when the website says its Cpo

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 AM

Hello Jaguny! Thanks for your reply. The SC felt GREAT to drive. How much mpg does it give?
2010s are more expensive and my local dealers don't have them.
The sc does not have any original 4 year warranty left as it was put in service mid 2008
Is it common practice to have to pay extra for the 24 month warranty when the website says its Cpo
MPG difference between the S/C and Lux/premium lux is not more than 2 or 3 MPG. That said, I would look for a better deal. Where are you located? I don't need an address or anything, just a locale...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM

Here's a few ideas. I couldn't see your location on my phone, but once I visited the non-mobile version of the site, I see you are in Virginia.

Rosenthal Jaguar of Tysons Corner has a 2009 XF S/C with 38,000 miles for $36,857. Fully loaded w/20 inch volans. CPO would probably up the price a bit, but they were flexible with price when I was looking there, so I think you could get them down to $34 or $35 + certification, maybe aim for $36,857 WITH certification.

If you're up for a trip to the Pittsburgh area, I bought my XF Premium at Bobby Rahal Jaguar and they have a nice supercharged in stock. It's a 2009 XF S/C with 30,000 miles. They're asking $38,900 WITH CPO, and I talked them down $2k on my car when I bought there, so I think you could swing $36,900 with them.

Are you maybe looking at Brown's Jaguar in Richmond? They have several '09 Premium Lux and S/C in the price range you're looking at, but the website shows CPO in the price. Look here, maybe:

Used Inventory for Brown's Jaguar in Richmond VA 23235 that includes used cars trucks and suv

Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Arlingtonman thanks for the suggestions and you are right I was looking at browns Jaguar. Problem is the sales person tells me that the website prices are for CPO eligible cars and 2000 $ is the price of the 24 month warranty. Not sure if I can drive to Pittsburgh but do their prices on the web include CPo will try to call them . Let me see if I can negotiate a little here.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Arlingtonman thanks for the suggestions and you are right I was looking at browns Jaguar. Problem is the sales person tells me that the website prices are for CPO eligible cars and 2000 $ is the price of the 24 month warranty. Not sure if I can drive to Pittsburgh but do their prices on the web include CPo will try to call them . Let me see if I can negotiate a little here.
PM Sent, Ashwin.

Quick Reply: FINALLY - Bought the NEW XF!