XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Finally my XFR is being bought back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 AM
ory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally my XFR is being bought back!

Helo everyone,
Jaguar NA and the dealer agreed to take my car back (reminder: it was a demo 2012 XFR that was repainted and not disclosed to me). Still haven't given up on the brand though, and after test driving pretty much everything in the price range (S class, E63, 550i, Audi S4/S5, A6/S6/A7), I still can't get the Jaguar out of my system. I therefore narrowed it down to 2 distinctly different cars:

2012 XFR certified pre owned with 5K miles - white/black + back pack and red calipers (really sharp looking car) for 67K

or

2012 XJL supercharged (470hp), black/ivory with really cool disc style 20' wheels. No sport package or sport seats i think.

The XJ is surprisingly quick and when driven in S mode and track mode it sounds great and plenty fast. The interior is one of the nicest I have seen in any car. This car is a new 2012 leftover with 80miles, but the warranty was started a year ago, so only 3 years remain. They want 72K for it and it was 95K new.

Any advice or tips on which one to go with? Which is a better deal or hold value longer?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

If my mind weren't clouded by love for the brand, I'd say the aluminum XJ looks better on paper. And ya, the interior.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Good to hear, you receiving the service you should be!

I have never driven the XJ, but from what i heard, the XF in general is much more agile. Since you have driven them both, can you confirm the above?

Otherwise, go for the XJSC.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ory
Helo everyone,
Jaguar NA and the dealer agreed to take my car back (reminder: it was a demo 2012 XFR that was repainted and not disclosed to me).

Good!

Did you ever get to the bottom of the situation? Who/where/when the car was repainted? Who knew what, and when did they know it?

Is the dealer repurchasing the car, or is Jaguar NA repurchasing the car?

Just curious

Cheers
DD

Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM
ory

Originally Posted by Doug
Good!

Did you ever get to the bottom of the situation? Who/where/when the car was repainted? Who knew what, and when did they know it?

Is the dealer repurchasing the car, or is Jaguar NA repurchasing the car?

Just curious

Cheers
DD
I will never know for sure. I speculate that it was repainted by jaguar and sold to the dealer at an auction. the dealer new, of course, but failed to disclose it to me and therefore Jaguar forced them to buy it back. I truly was hoping for some kind of incentive towards a new car, but no such luck. At least they are taking the car back which is the right thing to do.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
ory

Originally Posted by Executive
Good to hear, you receiving the service you should be!

I have never driven the XJ, but from what i heard, the XF in general is much more agile. Since you have driven them both, can you confirm the above?

Otherwise, go for the XJSC.
Of course it is more agile. The XJ is a big, long car. The suspension is different I presume and it is geared towards more relaxed driving. I love the dimensions of the XFR - not too big, not too small.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ory
Of course it is more agile. The XJ is a big, long car. The suspension is different I presume and it is geared towards more relaxed driving. I love the dimensions of the XFR - not too big, not too small.
As they both weight the same, I would suspect the suspension is the only real difference, as you stated.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Dunno which to pick, the XJ is certainly more current and the latest design. Agreed the interior is a slight notch up.

That said, it was the combination and sporting and luxury of the XFR that won me over...I don't think the XJ has that on offer.

So...nice interior of the XJ vs the sporting nature of the XF?

Great to hear they took care of the issue!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just saw in the latest Top Gear Mag that the new XJR has over 540hp on tap and plenty of pep. Very nice looking car...

Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buy back

You failed to mention what the dealer bought it back for vs what you paid? The Xjl has terrible resale value! If I were you . If they aren't giving you any incentives on your new purchase and you came out ok on the buy back? Then I'd move on a buy a brand that holds its value much better. Jags have terrible resale value. Especially the Xjl,s. jaguar is practically giving them away because they aren't selling.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

It balances out at the end, regardless.

If he wants to buy 7 series or S class that is compareble to XJL, let alone XJSC, he would have to pay $100,000+

Pay $70,000 now for the XJSC and save the $30k

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
ory

Originally Posted by Venture
You failed to mention what the dealer bought it back for vs what you paid? The Xjl has terrible resale value! If I were you . If they aren't giving you any incentives on your new purchase and you came out ok on the buy back? Then I'd move on a buy a brand that holds its value much better. Jags have terrible resale value. Especially the Xjl,s. jaguar is practically giving them away because they aren't selling.
They are buying it exactly what I paid for - they are taking it back. You might be right, maybe I just should move on to another brand....

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buy back

Well I'd take the money and run!!! Honestly the XJL you mentioned really sounds like a bad deal since you are only getting 3 year warranty and it only has 80 miles on it. Nice discount but not with a 3 year warranty. Maybe you can get them to jaguar certify select or whatever it's called with a 6 year warranty. But if this dealership was dishonest in the beginning. Just be glad you got out from under your car and try another brand.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM
ory

Originally Posted by Venture
Well I'd take the money and run!!! Honestly the XJL you mentioned really sounds like a bad deal since you are only getting 3 year warranty and it only has 80 miles on it. Nice discount but not with a 3 year warranty. Maybe you can get them to jaguar certify select or whatever it's called with a 6 year warranty. But if this dealership was dishonest in the beginning. Just be glad you got out from under your car and try another brand.
I am ready to walk away from the brand. But the thing is, the XFR is a damn special car, and I am still contemplating getting the one I mentioned above, the white with the black pack that's certified as I honestly can't find anything else in the price range that gives me as much joy to drive. If I ended up picking this car up I would hire an independent mechanic to check it out for me. But for 67K (the price for the 2012 certified/5kmiles), what else can I get that's as fun and luxurious? Please give me ideas...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

If you are going to spend around that amount on another car. I'd get the XFR hands down. Search through autotrader to compare pricing.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

All aluminum XJ drives extremely well. Same power to weight as the XFR, practically speaking and torque to weight is what actually matters anyway especially for supercharged engines.

If the additional size of the XJ isn't an issue it is more car than the steel XF.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I would get the XFR. I have e 2012 in Polaris White with grey interior. I LOVE it. People comment about it all the time and I live in LA - where you are what you drive and there's plenty of money being spent on cars. There's over a million dollars worth of cars in front of my health club every morning but the valets always talk about the XFR. I like that the fact that I don't see a lot of XFRs. Unlike Mercedes and especially BMW. The white is also a good color. No attention drawn to it so I have been lucky when it comes to opening her up on the freeway.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

If you want resale, buy a Toyota, Honda, etc...
If you want something that is NOT all over the place, and makes your heart beat faster when you drive it and walk up to it. Buy a Jaguar. I know many that have other luxury cars and ALL have issues. My GF boss's 2011 BMW 6 series is in the shop more than any Jaguar I work on and she picks him up in her stone reliable Stype from the dealer all the time

Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

This sounds like an isolated, unfortunate incident. And Jaguar has resolved with a full buy-back. I wouldn't let that cloud your view of the vehicle itself - you could have the same from any dealer in any brand. If you loved the car before, you should still love it now. I bought mine CPO last year and it has been wonderful. If you like the sporty feel, my bias would be to go with the XFR. But that's personal choice.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

xfr

Quick Reply: Finally my XFR is being bought back!