XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Finally picked it up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Finally picked it up!

I had posted that I bought an car in North Carolina (I live in Toronto) but due to vacations and waiting for the title to arrive I had to wait a few weeks to pick it up. The plan was to fly down with my 14 year old son and drive it the 12 hours back. Great way to get a new car like this!

You have to export and then import at a certain border point in Ontario/NY and it has to be during business hours so a bit of planning was in order.

Very busy at work so the plan was to do Thursday and Friday. Get down there on Thursday morning (depart Toronto at 6am gets you through Dulles and on to Greensboro by 9am). Meet the owner who was picking us up at the airport, finalize the paper, do half the drive Thursday then attack the border first thing Friday and be back at work for the afternoon. Easy right?
Even more exciting to do it in the face of a north track Hurricane and scattered TS's all over the east.

Up at 3:30 (Teenagers love this), airport by 4:30, Starbucks and boarded on time. Depart the gate and taxi out......stop.....wait......engines power down. Argggh. Oh well we have 50 minutes to get our next flight in Dulles. Captain comes on and says all traffic in and out of Dulles is stopped. 2 hours later they let us go. Connection missed. Oh well.....have lots of time to get there. Only issue is that Greensboro is not a very popular destination. 5pm is the next flight!!

Off to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum for the day. Amazing place. We'll just have to drive later into the evening. I wasn't really as into it as I could have been because I was eating up inside. If I couldn't get it home on Friday the car would be stuck in the US and we would be stuck with it hours from home.

Back to the airport in plenty of time for our 5pm flight. Big line of storms tracking to the south east but not on our flight path. Boards on time....yes! Taxi out.....stop....look out the window to the left and right...aircraft on either side...hmmmm....engines down....argggghhh. If we don't get there tonight I can't get back over the border till monday....and I am flying on business to vegas first thing monday morning!! I need a drink. Been waiting so long to pick up the car and now this. 2 hours later they re-route around the storm and depart. Thank god. Land at 8:30.....then another aircraft scoops the only united gate in front of us and we wait 20 mins for them to deplane!

Owner picks us up, we drive the 20 mins to his home. We go over the car and it is exactly as I had expected and we leave as fast as we can politely do so.

We drive till 1:30 am and stop just north of Charleston West Virginia for a bit of sleep. Up at 5:30 because I don't know what to expect with traffic around pittsburg during rush hour but sail right through and hit the border by 1pm. No troubles with process....US side verifies all is in order, Canadian side takes more money and off we go.

The car is amazing. The thrust is incredible and the sound is beautiful. I can just look at this car for fun. I love the color.

Only issues: Car has 23k miles on it with original rubber and the tires are extremely noisy. Still a bit of life in them but I don't know how long I can stand it. Probably wait till I put snows on.

There is a bit of what I would call etching on clear coat and windshield. Don't know if acid rain is a problem in NC but I will have to see what I can do with it. Nobody would ever see it but I'm picky so....

Crappy pic at a rest stop. More to come.

Last edited by cwood; 08-28-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story - driving to another country for your car! Enjoy the XF. FYI - that's my favorite exterior color on the XF.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 6,336 Likes on 5,521 Posts

An exiting trip for sure.

Good luck with the new car.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations - you're going to love your car.

The etchings on the front windshield could be the optional Heated Windshield. At night you can see the some waviness which is the wires that heatup...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The best laid plans...but hey, you a starbucks, an adult beverage and an XF!

Enjoy...

Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

What a way to deliver a car lol
I am happy for you , you have got a good ride and dandy color as well

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that you will enjoy it. I enjoy mine and have the red light camera tickets to prove it, yes I was stopped once, but that is another story.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chairman25
I know that you will enjoy it. I enjoy mine and have the red light camera tickets to prove it, yes I was stopped once, but that is another story.
Luckily we don't have those cameras yet up here in upstate NY... or at least I haven't gotten one yet (haven't gone to the mail for two days... lol). I am sure this car ('09 S/C) is going to get me in trouble though... Made it back from Portland ME in 3 1/2 hours last week which is usually a 4 1/2 hour drive... my average speed was 78 which includes in town. I do like the wife feature in this car... she's reading her book tapping her feet to the music completely unaware of how fast I'm driving... Scratching her head she say's... we must have left earlier than I thought... we're home already??

Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Forum is slow this weekend ..... so..... more pics! I love this car and this color!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Beautiful car and great story! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, when it comes time for summer tires (I'm assuming you use real snow tires in winter, not all seasons), check out Michelin's newest performance tire, the Pilot Super Sport. It's been getting rave reviews. Grippy in both wet and dry, yet quiet and long-wearing.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you doing for snows? You have the Selena wheels like I do as well... 20" wheels.

I don't know what to do for November when I am going to have to use something else besides the summer tires, or get different rims as well?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:51 PM

I will do different rims and snows likely. Will figure that out in the next few weeks.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
I will do different rims and snows likely. Will figure that out in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the reply. Please keep us posted... I need to do the same thing, and would like to see what you find in 19" that fit our cars.. and tire selection.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you price out new Jags in Toronto before you picked this one up?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Did you price out new Jags in Toronto before you picked this one up?

I did but not seriously as I like to buy higher end cars slightly used. Even with the 0% financing I felt this was better value. Additionally the 2010 SC variant is special I think in that it approaches XFR performance, has many of the nice options the lower models don't and it wasn't available in Canada.

This car will be about $53-55k all done including taxes etc. A new one optioned up seems to be around $70k before taxes.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car; a nice, used 5.0S/C would be my choice - performance approaching XFR with price approaching 5.0 XF. Congrads on the fine vehicle and I hope you will enjoy it for quiet some time!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwood
I did but not seriously as I like to buy higher end cars slightly used. Even with the 0% financing I felt this was better value. Additionally the 2010 SC variant is special I think in that it approaches XFR performance, has many of the nice options the lower models don't and it wasn't available in Canada.

This car will be about $53-55k all done including taxes etc. A new one optioned up seems to be around $70k before taxes.
Ah, OK. I wa asking as I'm looking at leasing a new XFR but I want to get an idea of the residuals before I go into a dealer. It's priced very competitively with the E550, CLS550, 550i, and M56S but a low residual could make all the difference.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great looking car!!! Why did you go to the USA for it though? I"ve only seen the XF's selling for the same price as here in Canada. Doesn't really seem worth it unless you stole it from the guy on price somehow?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM

5.0 SC not available in Canada in 2010. Specific color combo I wanted and I got it for $46k US with a 1.04 canadian dollar.