XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fire under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire under the hood

Ok all - bare with me. I bought my first jag 2 months ago - lifelong dream. 2010 XF Portfolio, silver, black interior. Fast, responsive, a beautiful dream. Used at 38K, but, car checked put clean. Immediately took it to my local dealer and got the 45K done early. Checked out perfectly. 2 weeks later, driving home the lights on my dash go crazy - battery warning, transmission failure, motor failure. Took it in - they changed the battery and upgraded the infotainment system. A helpful tip from this forum- thanks for that! Next day, I smell burning plastic, take it back in immediately. Up on rack, take a look, no issues. No lights going off anywhere. A week later drove home from a short outing pulled in my driveway, smoke starts pouring from under the hood and my car is on fire! Flames from the eft side of the engine. No warning lights still. Now - I'm 30 days no car and waiting. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Anybody ever heard of anything like this? I swear I have all the service records - I can't figure this one out.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Wow - nothing on this one guys? I'm stumped too, but, was hoping someone might have some advice. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. Will be driving my 1979 restored CJ7 Jeep in the meantime. I love my jeep, just didn't expect for it to be my daily driver when I bought my Jag. I miss my car.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You were in your Regional section, not the XF technical one so I've moved the thread.
Sorry to hear of the nasty experience.

The following users liked this post:
Flaming Cat (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about this... sounds like something either went wrong after taking it to the shop (mechanic not following through) or someone before you had far more reason to trade/sell the car than they disclosed... This is a story I recently saw that will make me stay in my car for some time as I usually by pre-owned also.

Buyer Beware: THOUSANDS Of Hurricane Sandy THRASHED Cars To Hit The Auction Block - AutoSpies Auto News

Flaming Cat (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Electrical fire obviously. The hot plastic smell is the giveaway. Somebody didn't troubleshoot the need for the new battery before swapping out the old one. Premature battery failure should always be investigated.

Somebody, somewhere screwed with the wiring. No way it could get that far with a factory installed defect. Water or storm damage could do this.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I haven't heard of this being an issue with these cars. Unfortunately for you, this is just one of those obscure incidents that can happen to any car. Hope the fire was not too damaging! Which Hennessy dealer is it in for repair?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 AM

hello all - thanks so much for the feedback. And thanks Steve for moving it to the right section. It's the Hennessey dealer in Buckhead. They have been great to work with. But pretty quiet since this started.

Investigators will be taking a look at it in a couple of weeks. We'll see what they come up with. Again - thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM
mvp
Default Was it a total loss?

Flaming Cat: so sorry to hear about the fire. Ugh....

Was it a total loss???

Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM

mvp - don't know yet. I am certainly hopeful it will be. In addition to the trust factor i will have - the inside reaks with burnt plastic smokey smell. Not pleasant. i just i don't get screwed in this deal. About 3 more weeks until i know for sure. Painful . . .

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Twi of the recalls involved a fire risk. Check this thread from a UK board which lists the recalls:

Non-auto auto lights

Did you lose power steering at any time during the event? Was this recall done on your car and was it supposed to be? Only some XF were affected but some 2009 build dates are included which might include a US 2010 model, check the serial numbers listed against yours.

Your dealer is required to perform the recalls outstanding if the car comes in for service. If a dealer sold you that car with an outstanding recall that dealer is liable for the loss.

Last edited by jagular; 01-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Flaming Cat (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would expect at the least a rental while Jaguar explains an engine fire in a car under warranty. You should have a Jaguar loaner. Call Jaguar North America and get them to do the right thing.

Pics of the Jeep?

Mines a 1965 pic's below.

Attached Thumbnails Fire under the hood-p8294942.jpg   Fire under the hood-img00572.jpg  
Flaming Cat (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Sweet jeep! I see lots of potential! Mine has been a 7 year labor of love. New engine - 304V8, new paint, new shocks, bearings, tires, exhaust, . . . It never ends. I started telling my mechanic how much I had to spend rather than what to fix. It's fun though. I will get some pics up. Thanks for the comments folks. The investigators are going to be looking into the recall - along with other things. I called Jag NA multiple times and they did nothing for me. Kept telling me to deal with MY insurance company. I just miss my car. And I'm anxious. Hopefully by months end I will have some resolution. You guys are awesome! Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It helps.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, its a 1965 with a 327, SM420, Spicer 18. I am rebuilding a Dana 30 widetrack CJ-7 front axle right now. Then I'm going to take my stock Dana 44 and convert it to a 30 spline full floater with hubs and 11" brakes. Then I can run brake lines, to my 1990 Wrangler hydro brake booster. Then I can mount the radiator and run hoses. Then I can install my painless wiring kit. Then I can install my fuel cell and run fuel lines. Then I can start it and drive it. I have owned this Jeep since 1996! I rebuilt all the original drive train and then got frusterated with the 55-60 mph top speed and rather then install an overdrive I did a frame off.

Did you have rental car on your insurance? Saying its a insurance claim is an easy out on your car. I guess I see their point not much they can fix right? Still if its a recall and you had rented a car Jag should pay for that rental.