XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fixing bubbling lifting dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fixing bubbling lifting dash

My dash is lifting about halfway back at the instrument bulge. I was wondering if anyone has tried sticking a hypodermic through the seam and injecting a dash glue in, then putting a sandbag on it to hold it down as it dried?

The thousands of dollars to fix it is pretty hard to justify. (would rather have exhaust, SC pulley, and a tune with money left over)

Old 09-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Short answer is no. It will look like ****.

Read and search the forum. The way to do it is to remove the dash and pull the leather all the way off. Then re-glue it and reinstall. If you don't think you can do that then pull the dash, remove the cover and have an upholstery shop re-glue it. Then you reinstall the dash. We have been told to add extra staples around the edges to prevent any more lifting.

We even have a thread with pictures showing how to remove the dash. It is a big job but certainly a DIY! Doing this way reduces the repair cost greatly.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks clubairth1.
i still need to get the airbag recall done. I think they have to pull the dash for that. Maybe I'll just take it then and have the dash done.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think they remove the dash for the air bag replacement. I'm always concerned about protecting my dash so I asked the dealership about that. I was afraid it could cause the separation problem. They told me that they don't remove all that. I don't know how they get to the airbag. Maybe from the front. Maybe from beneath but not the top.
​​​​​

Old 09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 689 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcummins
I don't think they remove the dash for the air bag replacement. I'm always concerned about protecting my dash so I asked the dealership about that. I was afraid it could cause the separation problem. They told me that they don't remove all that. I don't know how they get to the airbag. Maybe from the front. Maybe from beneath but not the top.
​​​​​
I was told they remove and go in thru the glovebox, basically from underneath.