XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Front brake pad thickness: Will 20mm fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front brake pad thickness: Will 20mm fit?

I know there's some compliance in the pad thickness because before the brake "break-in" period, the pistons will be simply hanging without compressing too much. Does this allow thicker brake pad than OEM to be fitted?

It's the front brake pads, and I bought the size of an E60 M5's because the shape and the dimensions were identical except for the thickness.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Well the service manual for my 2010 XFR says "nominal" or minimum new front pad thickness is 13mm, it gives no Max thickness, If the BMW E60 M5 pads as you say will fit the caliper, and the caliper mounts correctly with the pads installed with no binding or dragging on the rotor, you may be on to something! Please share your findings.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Well I actually Did a search and found this video
Those front brakes do look exactly like XFR calipers, and the pads do measure very close, close enough I'm going to be seeing if the BMW pads will fit my XFR on my next pad change.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (10-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Watching this one closely!
The Bendix Euro+ front pads for the E60 M5 from my local car parts store are very cheap, and I wouldn't mind chucking them on the F-Type if they fit.
The Euro+ are meant to be low noise and low dust, as opposed to the stock pads which are very noisy and very dusty.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Watching this one closely!
The Bendix Euro+ front pads for the E60 M5 from my local car parts store are very cheap, and I wouldn't mind chucking them on the F-Type if they fit.
The Euro+ are meant to be low noise and low dust, as opposed to the stock pads which are very noisy and very dusty.
Will give you an update after I fit them. Stay posted.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 AM

OEM brake pad

ENDLESS MX72

Done the change. I've ordered ceramic carbon brake pads made by ENDLESS, product MX72.
?ENDLESS??????| ???????????BMW

The product code is EIP152, it is exactly the same as E60 M5 front brake pad. Thicker pad was not a problem at all. I've yet to try out some hard braking, so I'll keep it updated after some ride.

Last edited by ChrisJay; 09-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

An extra 7mm or so of brake thickness would be awesome. Would have to keep minimum thickness of the rotors in mind with that much more pad though.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks ChrisJay, I have just been down to my local auto parts store and ordered in a set of the Bendix Euro+ pads in the same size. I should get them in 2 or 3 day's time, then the big test to see if they fit/work on my F-Type! If not then I have wasted only $75 AU.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
An extra 7mm or so of brake thickness would be awesome. Would have to keep minimum thickness of the rotors in mind with that much more pad though.
Actually the stock pads thickness ranges from 17.8-19.8 according to brembo. So I made a reasonable guess on the fitment of the pad.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Collected the Bendix Euro+ pads yesterday, and compared them with some spare PosiQuiet pads I had, and not good - different backing plates shapes and mounting prongs on one side only.
Ripped the pads out of one side of the F-Type just now and compared, hoping maybe the F-Type 380 mm pads were different to the XFR ones, but they are identical.
Which means the Bendix Euro+ for the E60 M5 do NOT fit the Jag 380 mm front brakes.
Will take them back to the auto parts store and see if I can get a refund, once I have finished fitting the spare PosiQuiets which were hardly worn at all (if only I can get that damn anti-rattle clip back on, whoever designed that thing should be lined up against a wall and shot!)

Update - after 2 hours stuffing about with that damn anti-rattle clip and getting nowhere fast I called it quits, off to see my brakes bloke soon so he can get put them back on, he seems to have a knack that I haven't worked out. Yep, both sides now, after renewing the pads on one side I couldn't really not do the other side as well.

Update #2 - the brakes bloke clipped each anti-rattle clip back on in around 5 seconds flat, even though he seemed to use the exact same method I tried, spewing!

Last edited by OzXFR; 10-07-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Collected the Bendix Euro+ pads yesterday, and compared them with some spare PosiQuiet pads I had, and not good - different backing plates shapes and mounting prongs on one side only.
Ripped the pads out of one side of the F-Type just now and compared, hoping maybe the F-Type 380 mm pads were different to the XFR ones, but they are identical.
Which means the Bendix Euro+ for the E60 M5 do NOT fit the Jag 380 mm front brakes.
Will take them back to the auto parts store and see if I can get a refund, once I have finished fitting the spare PosiQuiets which were hardly worn at all (if only I can get that damn anti-rattle clip back on, whoever designed that thing should be lined up against a wall and shot!)

Update - after 2 hours stuffing about with that damn anti-rattle clip and getting nowhere fast I called it quits, off to see my brakes bloke soon so he can get put them back on, he seems to have a knack that I haven't worked out. Yep, both sides now, after renewing the pads on one side I couldn't really not do the other side as well.

Update #2 - the brakes bloke clipped each anti-rattle clip back on in around 5 seconds flat, even though he seemed to use the exact same method I tried, spewing!
Mine fit perfectly! Did yours not fit because of the prongs?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ChrisJay
Mine fit perfectly! Did yours not fit because of the prongs?
Chris,
You got Endless MX72, I got Bendix Euro+, they must be different shapes.
The Bendix are very different to the stock pads, the backing plate end point shapes are quite different, they are the same on both pads whereas on the stock pads the end points are a different shape on the inner vs outer pads, and the stock pads have prongs on both the inner and outer pads whereas the Bendix had them only on the inner pads. No way in a million years could they have fitted and worked properly.