XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Front Control Arm Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts
Default Front Control Arm Compatability

Hi - I'm replacing the front control arms on my 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged.

I got upper left (XR858823) and upper right (C2Z31677) as part of a kit with all 6 front control arms, which they confirmed was the right fit for my model. However, when I look up the specific part numbers in the various online Jag parts catalogues, the four front lower control arms show as a fit (and for all XF and S Type models). But these two upper arms show as fitting the 2009 XF (and S Type) but not 2010 onwards. The 2010 onwards XF has a different Jag part number. Although they visually look the same.

So my question - does anyone know if part numbers XR858823 and C2Z31677 work on my 2010 XF Supercharged or are there actually real differences in just the front upper control arms between the 2009 and 2010 XF models?

Old 04-06-2022, 12:37 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I just went through the same thing with my '11 XFR. I spent hours trying to figure out the differences, but there are none. I still can't understand why they change numbers so randomly and frequently, but if they fit the S-Type, they'll fit your car. I literally just installed them, last week. If it weren't so late, I'd elaborate on what nonsense it all is, but, long story short, you're good to go.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
I just went through the same thing with my '11 XFR. I spent hours trying to figure out the differences, but there are none. I still can't understand why they change numbers so randomly and frequently, but if they fit the S-Type, they'll fit your car. I literally just installed them, last week. If it weren't so late, I'd elaborate on what nonsense it all is, but, long story short, you're good to go.
Outstanding. And so timely!! I am having it done tomorrow. I asked the dealer and all they knew was that part numbers were different for my car onwards. But there are many aftermarket retailers selling the part saying it covers both the s type and the XF part numbers. So I wasn't sure what to believe
I appreciate your clarification!!

Old 04-07-2022, 01:06 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad to help. I researched the heck out of it, and spoke with multiple companies about the confusion; Welsh, FCP Euro, and even Moog, as they even had different parts listed (turns out that their European division called it one name, which was stamped on the part, but they were calling it something else in the U.S., and not listing it as even being cross compatible, even though they researched and found out that it was).

There's a ton of confusion out there, but, as I mentioned, I just installed the S-Type front upper control arms purchased through Welsh (Lemforder arms) onto my '11 XFR, and they fit fine.

I don't know what potential differences there could be, if any, which caused Jaguar and/or whomever else to decide that they weren't cross-compatible. Maybe the bushings and/or ball joints are stiffer/softer or something (just spit balling - I have no reason to think they are), but while replacing my entire suspension by myself, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the incredibly confusing and oft-misrepresented suspension parts and their cross-compatibility across models and even manufacturers.

I also learned that a lot of the "unserviceable" parts are actually serviceable - well, at least by a good automotive machine shop. For example, Jaguar and everyone else want you to buy a whole new front steering knuckle, rather than simply/cheaply just replacing the ball joints, but I paid my automotive machine shop guy $10 total to press Lemforder 3764501 ball joints into both knuckles, and they work perfectly.