XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Front License Plate Horror

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Front License Plate Horror

I am not really posting with a question per se, mainly just to say that sometime this week I am going to do the unthinkable. I am going to mount a front license plate to my 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio. It is VERY hard to find pictures online of anyone putting American front license plates on their 2012 or later XF's. (I can find plenty with European plates).

Everyone thinks I shouldn't do it. But the reason I am is because I have gotten 3 parking tickets in the past for not having a front plate, and heard stories of people being pulled over for it around where I live. I am just wanting to never have think about ridin' dirty so I am getting my XF completely legal. I even tinted the front windows with a legal amount of tint (I got limo 5% tint on all the back windows).

Wish me luck, going to have a local dealership drill into the front bumper to mount it...I will avert my eyes!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

WAIT! You might want to look at this
No Holes License Plate Bracket

at least the holes are unseen...

Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

You should also look at the tow hook option from companies like rho-plate. I'm actually going to fill the holes on mine when I repaint and use one of these. Good thing is you can take it off if you prefer.

http://www.rhoplate.com/product-jaguar.html

Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

I never really liked the look of the tow hook options plus they seemed outrageously priced. Of course in twelve years so far in Texas I have been pulled over twice for "no front plate" but never ticketed (knock wood). A possible $200 fine averaged over twelve years isn't too bad...the last DPS guy actually waved me off with "very nice car sir..."

Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

We had a thread about this a while ago. The car does not need/want a front license plate. To me it's ridiculous that a visiting car from out of state can troll around without a plate but for some reason my car?? needs a front plate. I'm just a scofflaw who refuses to mount it on my XF

Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
WAIT! You might want to look at this
No Holes License Plate Bracket

at least the holes are unseen...
That is awesome..this bracket should be sold with any car..so States that don't require a front tag can do without the bumper holes..When I bought mine from Texas...the Dealer had to put on a new bumper before I would close the deal, as we don't require front tags in Oklahoma.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

My question on the hide away bracket is how durable it will be with driveways, dips, etc.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
My question on the hide away bracket is how durable it will be with driveways, dips, etc.
It's not a hideaway bracket (I know what you mean by those and the mechanism seems prone to failure due to road dirt and mess) - someone merely thought of putting the screws under the lip so if you remove it, you aren't staring at holes in the front face. At least that's my understanding from the site. I've ordered one and I'll throw it in my boot to show some goodwill if I get pulled over ;-)

Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

So technically it's not a no holes plate holder - it's a no holes in the front of the bumper plate holder but I would take that for sure...

Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

My bad. I thought you were discussing the one that tucked under the chin spoiler and can be extended or retracted.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

try to keep up here, will ya...

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

DPK, remember, payback is a bitch. I'll catch you slippin' one day

The following users liked this post:
DPK (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi there, just a quick note re plate fixings
It's not necessary to drill holes, use screws etc etc
see below my front plate on a curved front bumper of my XJ X358

Name:  front%20low_zpsopghqprn.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  122.7 KB

For many years now on all my cars, I've used an alternative method, I hate the look of screws, even with coloured caps etc. They nearly always come through on part of the registration number and just look unsightly.

I use 3M double sided tape as do many others. Simply apply enough and then remove backing paper and stick in place, it'll be all good and stay there in place firmly until you decide to remove it.
I've removed damaged plates in the past and replaced and it's an easy process generally. Use a hairdryer or similar to soften the adhesive and or fishing line, then clean the area for a good as new look......no damage to the paint / bodywork, period.

It's a good clean look too
After all 3M products are often used to hold on badges and side mouldings etc, so a plate is no problem

Hope it helps
Jim

Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Received 4,287 Likes on 3,705 Posts

for those states requiring front plates - does it have to be on the front bumper? Can't you zip tie or velcro it to the passenger side sun visor - so when you flip the visor down, the plate is visible?

Thankfully - South Carolina does not require front plates

Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by showstopper9ren
.... I am going to mount a front license plate to my 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio. It is VERY hard to find pictures online of anyone putting American front license plates on their 2012 or later XF's. (I can find plenty with European plates). ....
I'm not getting into the argument over fitting/not fitting front plates. Here in Europe we have no choice.

If you feel you have to fit one and want to go OE, Jaguar supply the appropriate size moulded plinth for all plate sizes. The US one is P/N C2Z3480.

Front License Plate Horror-number-plate.jpg

In the UK these are usually finished in body colour to make them less obtrusive.

Graham

Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sklimii
for those states requiring front plates - does it have to be on the front bumper? Can't you zip tie or velcro it to the passenger side sun visor - so when you flip the visor down, the plate is visible?

Thankfully - South Carolina does not require front plates
Pretty sure in Texas that it's bumper or nothing. In fact you might attract more attention by having your "front" plate lying on the dash as some people do. Originally from the UK where the front plate isn't optional I'm not so much complaining about fitting a front plate, more that the US spec is a god awful slab of metal that just looks like an afterthought on most Euro spec cars. Now if they let you legally put a Euro style plate on that would be okay with me. But I tried that on my Audi and it warranted even more attention from the old bill thinking it was a "fake" registration. The look of disappointment when they saw it matched the one on the rear was sometimes priceless. One DPS trooper did try to write me a citation for a "counterfeit plate" but when I showed the DA that it was in fact my actual registration number, he dismissed the ticket immediately....

Maybe I'll look at the Europlate again if I get too much attention...

Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
So technically it's not a no holes plate holder - it's a no holes in the front of the bumper plate holder but I would take that for sure...

Looks pretty good. Not that bad to remain in accordance with the law.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Asking for opinions...I know that's dangerous here, but am willing to deal with the consequences.

I will be repainting my front bumper soon and I'm debating on either the Skene solution or a Rho-Plate tow hook mount. I'm thinking about aesthetics as well as function with the mount.

If I went with the Skene and mounted it low where I think it would look best, it would block a very large portion of the lower intake, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing since it will change the airflow significantly.

Rho-Plate would definitely give me the ability to leave all three intakes clear of obstruction and look somewhat unique. Although "unique" can sometimes be interpreted as being ricer or tacky. I did see an SL500 with a tow hook mount and it caught my eye as different, but I still don't know how I'd feel about it long term.

Stock isn't optimal for airflow either. And if I remount, there will be holes forever.

And while Jim64's suggestion of 3M tape works well with the thin Euro plates, I don't believe there is any way it will work long term for a US plate with all of the overhang of the plate from the edges of the bumper.

I really wish the states would just give the option to order a Euro plate from them for an additional charge. Soooo many people would pay it and they could easily recoup the tooling costs over a short period of time.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:49 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

IMO all your options suck...especially the one mounted over the right intake area..the one you have now is the least ugly..again IMO

Old 05-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
IMO all your options suck...especially the one mounted over the right intake area..the one you have now is the least ugly..again IMO
That's why I asked for them

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Horror