XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Front Lower Control Arm - "Other Bushing"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 04:55 PM
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm - "Other Bushing"

I'm replacing a lot of my suspension parts and was trying to find more information for the front lower control arm (C2Z10052), which has large liquid-filled hydro-bushes (C2Z5119) or whatever they're called, which tend to wear out and leak (mine did at around 50K miles). I actually purchased two new complete Lemforder lower front control arms, but I also purchased a set of PowerFlex bushings (PFF27-701) to potentially just replace the hydro-bushes (C2Z5119), instead of replacing the entire control arm, and because I don't want to deal with a leaking hydro-bush EVER again. However, if I were going to replace just the bushings, I'd like to try to replace both bushings on each control arm. Unfortunately, while the information for replacing the large hydro-bush was pretty readily available around the forum and internet, I couldn't really find any information for the small rubber bushings.

So, I pulled out one of my new Lemforder lower front control arms and started digging around for any kinds of markings, etc. What I found was "Germany 032060062012" on the small rubber bushings.

Upon searching online, it comes up as an Opel (as well as Fiat, Saab, Vauxhall, etc.) part number, which can be found as "Lemforder 3390701 - Control Arm- / Trailing Arm Bush." The online images seem to be extremely similar to the bushing inside of my Lemforder control arm, but it's always tough to tell from just photos.

And, the measurements don't quite line up. Granted, it's hard to get precise measurements with the bushing inside of the control arm, but, what I got for the approximate measurements from the bushing inside of my new Lemforder control arms is a 54mm length (same as Lemforder 3390701), 48.6mm outer diameter (vs. 47.25mm for the Lemforder 3390701), and a 12mm inner diameter (vs.14.05mm for the Lemforder 3390701). So, I'm at a bit of a loss. Obviously, it could be measurement error on my part, but it has me banging my head against a wall.

Does anyone else have this information or additional guidance? Further, are we not supposed to replace this bushing for some reason (aluminum casting vs forged?)? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2022, 10:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1438607

Originally Posted by oldish git

I have a mixed message ONLY on this part.
The front Lower Curved Control Arm.

The smaller bush, on the outer side is NON-REPLACEABLE. NON-SOURCEABLE.
When in engineering one comes upon this then you have one choice but you can make it into two choices if money is really tight but I do not recommend it.
The entire arm has to be replaced so-as you replace the smaller bush.
The smaller bush is not to be removed once fitted in-place. Because of the small surface area of the alloy encasing it, any stress or bearing press can or will cause fractures or hair-line cracks so the maker will NOT supply this part separately on safety grounds. If you look at the front rear lower arm, this has three bushes which can all be replaced, the smallest bush has a lot of surrounding alloy to take the stress. As I write this no doubt some Chinese company are already trying to replicate it and supply a bush.

I said a second choice, this is one I will NOT do but I know people are sometimes hard-up for money so here is a way out but NOT recommended by me.
I don't see it on Berkshire Jag page either so this is probably the final word. The prices of replacement arms for this car were insane for the longest time where pressing bushes made sense, but in the past five years or so the gap between doing that and just buying the whole thing has closed enough where people don't bother anymore.

Another useful thread I came across about parts and adventures with poly and presses.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-179993/

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Reaxions!
I have tried finding that bushing as well but with no luck. I asked my guys at the parts department if it's serviceable and they said no only the larger bushing. It is nice that the larger bushing now comes with the design update of the plastic piece around the rubber-hopefully it will be more durable than the original model.
Sabrinaservicewriter

Old 03-03-2022, 10:24 AM
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for all of the info, guys! I'd assumed it was "unserviceable," but was worried that I might've been missing something. Out of curiosity, what's your interpretation of why that is? Is it due to the "less" structurally robust nature of the cast aluminum control arms?

I'll probably just install the new Lemforder front control arms for now, but I'm tempted to buy some various bushings which look like they might fit, and take them to a buddy to owns an automotive machine shop and can press bushings in/out with ease. If somehow successful with the smaller bushings, I'll also install the large PowerFlex bushings I already bought. Since the front lower control arms are so easy to get in and out, I'd then swap them out to see if I liked the feel better. At this point, I don't mind experimenting on a few easy things.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The bush is not a single part

Out of curiosity I disassembled the lower arm smaller bush, after also having no luck sourcing a replacement. It turns out the arm is the bush casing. The bush is sandwiched between two swaged in caps, that add the force to a plastic collet and grease is sealed in (sililar to a ball joint). The shape of the arm is designed to hold the swaged cups(end pieces) in. See images.
Hence is why the parts are not showing as replacement items. It's a new arm if your bush is likely to fail an mot.

Machined cup with recess.

Retaining cap swaged into cup and recess.

Individual parts.

Build order.

Reaxions (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks @Orange Gloves . I've been curious about that bushing for some time now, but haven't had a front lower arm to dismantle. I wonder if you've measured the bushing and the location in the arm?

Old 09-29-2023, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prolepsis
Thanks @Orange Gloves . I've been curious about that bushing for some time now, but haven't had a front lower arm to dismantle. I wonder if you've measured the bushing and the location in the arm?
I have not measured the widest diameter of the bush under the collet I'm afraid. The height is 54mm (53.9 my actual). The bore in the cast is 40mm. The caps swage in on the same principle as engine block core plugs, and form under the milled lip of the arm itself. The stiffness of the bush is wholly dependant on the wear of the collet (which is also pressed in, as too tight by hand). If you could get replacement caps and a collet, you could service it as the bush material on mine (140k miles now) wasn't worn at all. The caps are also shaped to hold the protective boot circlip.

prolepsis (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange Gloves
I have not measured the widest diameter of the bush under the collet I'm afraid. The height is 54mm (53.9 my actual). The bore in the cast is 40mm. The caps swage in on the same principle as engine block core plugs, and form under the milled lip of the arm itself. The stiffness of the bush is wholly dependant on the wear of the collet (which is also pressed in, as too tight by hand). If you could get replacement caps and a collet, you could service it as the bush material on mine (140k miles now) wasn't worn at all. The caps are also shaped to hold the protective boot circlip.
Thank you for your reply.