XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Fuel Tank Pressure Noise When Opening the Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Pressure Noise When Opening the Cap?

After getting my engine replaced, the mechanic also replaced some fuel feed pipe and fuel hose.

This noise has never happened to me prior to getting my engine replaced / fuel feed pipe / fuel hose. I only noticed this hissing high pitch sound coming at the fuel tank fill-up point when opening the cap. I have noticed it every time I fill up gas and leave the cap open. After filling gas the noise is gone.

Also I have noticed that I feel more power on acceleration after filling the tank up...is this normal? I had half tank coming into the gas station and was driving hard doing some test runs; after filling up the power was noticeably stronger. Same gas has been used from the same pump.

It has been coming for maybe 4-5 fill ups so far. I thought there was just air in my lines getting released due to the new components but the noise is still coming.

Last edited by hen555; 08-08-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know specific to this car, but I know that in general, when you have a suction noise from the gas fill, it's because the vent line is plugged. This means that as you're emptying your tank, it's not replacing the fuel with air, which might explain why you're seeing less power at lower tank volume; there's suction working against your fuel pump. I'd have him look to see if the vent or fuel fill lines are crimped, twisted or plugged.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Checked mine. My engine was replaced. Not sure why yours had fuel lines replaced. Opening the fuel cap should result in no air movement in or out. Jaguars system is designed to be at atmospheric pressure all the time. Some systems aren't but Jaguars is.

Back to the dealer for you.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 PM

I showed my dealership service manager and mechanic there and they don't have a clue what it is. They told me to send them the video and they said they sent it to Engineering.

Noise still comes and I don't know what it is.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Back again to provide an update. I have been really busy and have been driving my car still with the fuel tank issue.

Things I learnt:
The car struggles to provide power during acceleration. The engine struggle gets worse and worse (with vibration) until I :
- Downshift and push the engine hard to high RPMs (after doing this it helps the engine respond better in terms of acceleration)
- Put the car in N and rev the engine (This for some reason helps a lot as when I put it into drive after this I feel a huge BOOST in power in terms of acceleration.

After a while it starts to struggle again.

Another thing I learnt was that when I fill the fuel tank to the TOP the engine just feels heavy and struggles hard to provide power.

Today I was driving it decently hard and when I went to fill up the gas I noticed a broken off piece of metal in the tank fill up point. This is just crazy I am coming to think that there is a pressure issue (due to clogged) and too much suction must have pulled that piece out of its place (which is on the top side of the fill up entry pipe).

Take a look at the pics.

Metal piece in the fuel tank entry pipe

Piece seems to have fallen/dislocated from the top.

Also see my original video...it could be that same piece shown in the video.

Should I pull the piece out with some tools?

What caused this piece to fall down. Could there be possible screws / joint pieces in the fuel tank?

I am going to be booking an appointment to get this checked out / fixed.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:04 PM

Take it back to the mechanic you mentioned in your first post that worked on the fuel lines because either they caused it or they didn't fix it in the first place. They need to take this fuel filler line apart and either clear out the vent tube or repair whatever that is you're seeing. This is creating back pressure on the fuel lines and is why you're struggling to get any performance out of it. Long term, I could see issues coming from your fuel running too lean or wearing out your fuel pump because it's having to fight so hard. Better to fix it now than wait for it to break everything else.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Take it back to the mechanic you mentioned in your first post that worked on the fuel lines
I am debating whether to do this or go to another new dealership. I have been getting horrible service from my current dealership and was thinking to take it to new guys and get the job fixed.

I have gone back to the original mechanic and showed him the fuel noise video he did not believe me (I could not reproduce it there) and told me to record it again (saying it could be noise from the surrounding area). I recorded it again and showed the service manager there and like mentioned they sent it to engineering but they do not know whats going on.

I feel something fishy went on when they fixed my engine because when I asked the mechanic about the fuel lines he replaced at first he said he didnt change any fuel pipes then I told him again that the fuel feed pipe / fuel hose was replaced. Then he said "oh yeah we replaced that but because it was required" I think he then said that it was part of the requirements from jaguar to replace those parts too. He was not too clear about it and changed the topic.

I also went on a test drive with this mechanic regarding the engine struggling and he says that it is running fine. He pushes the gas in and the engine downshifts...but I know that the power being delivered is not the full power since I drive the car every day. He claimed this is normal the engine should downshift and it is running fine.

I told them about the back pressure and they do not believe it. I told them about a air venting line being clogged and they said it does not exist.

I want to be done with those guys I have already gotten scratches on my car from them.

I either way have to go back there as I have a pending job they ordered a part for me. It is just that I do not trust their skills and expertise.
Do you think it will be fine taking it to my new guys or should I give them another chance?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by hen555
I am debating whether to do this or go to another new dealership. I have been getting horrible service from my current dealership and was thinking to take it to new guys and get the job fixed.

I have gone back to the original mechanic and showed him the fuel noise video he did not believe me (I could not reproduce it there) and told me to record it again (saying it could be noise from the surrounding area). I recorded it again and showed the service manager there and like mentioned they sent it to engineering but they do not know whats going on.

I feel something fishy went on when they fixed my engine because when I asked the mechanic about the fuel lines he replaced at first he said he didnt change any fuel pipes then I told him again that the fuel feed pipe / fuel hose was replaced. Then he said "oh yeah we replaced that but because it was required" I think he then said that it was part of the requirements from jaguar to replace those parts too. He was not too clear about it and changed the topic.

I also went on a test drive with this mechanic regarding the engine struggling and he says that it is running fine. He pushes the gas in and the engine downshifts...but I know that the power being delivered is not the full power since I drive the car every day. He claimed this is normal the engine should downshift and it is running fine.

I told them about the back pressure and they do not believe it. I told them about a air venting line being clogged and they said it does not exist.

I want to be done with those guys I have already gotten scratches on my car from them.

I either way have to go back there as I have a pending job they ordered a part for me. It is just that I do not trust their skills and expertise.
Do you think it will be fine taking it to my new guys or should I give them another chance?
Yeah, sounds like better to not deal with them. If they're a Jag dealership though, I'd call the Jag support line and lodge a formal complaint - maybe you could get it repaired by the new place for free and they could bill the cro-mags that worked on it before.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE]
maybe you could get it repaired by the new place for free
Yes, I do not plan on paying a $ to get this fixed seeing that it has only started coming after the engine replacement job was done. I also have jaguar extended warranty so hopefully it will be covered under it. If not I will have to call up JLR North America.