XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Full XFR/XFR-S exhaust(that's right... Finally headers too!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing about headers and cats, so started doing a little more homework. While I would LOVE to have headers (and sport cats or even go catless) and I'm tempted to just go all-in while everything's apart on my '11 XFR, a high ROI for headers doesn't really seem to be there for my setup.

I've already got an X-pipe behind the front resonator (I kept the front resonator in place to prevent drone, as it's a pass-through design), then Y-pipes to cutouts, and finally the Mina Gallery mufflers, and I love, love, love the driving feel and combinations of sounds I get when the cutouts are open AND even when closed, and I get the sweetest crackles, pops, and burbles I've ever heard anywhere with them open (and it's still there, although slightly more subdued when closed). At this point, I'm really afraid to mess around with my exhaust at all, as I couldn't imagine it sounding much better, and I could easily end up making it worse. If anything, I might be tempted to remove the front resonator, move the X-pipe forward to that area, and then straight-pipe until the cutouts for $100 in labor, but why? So, for me, the added PERFORMANCE of headers would have to be extremely substantial for that kind of money, and it just doesn't seem to be (I understand that it's all very subjective). I'm even on the fence about some sort of Cats improvement but again, I would like to feel that I'm getting something significantly noticeable for over $1,300+ (when available, the Magnaflow Federal cats are even about $685/each before tax, shipping, etc.).

As usual, I could just be missing something, but it would have to be pretty HUGE.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Everything I've ever posted about power are rwhp numbers. If you look back at my old posts, you will see dyno graphs and power charts. I figured if it wasn't dyno proven, with before and after to see the percentage increases, it wasn't real.
Whatever happened to 2010 Kyanite XFR??? Maybe I've been on this forum too long, and I definitely stayed away too long (inadvertently), but he was a mainstay and hugely helpful. It looks like this was one of his most recent posts (I think his last one was way back on Jan. 22, 2022)? If I knew how to tag people so it went to their inbox, I'd do it (somebody willing to teach me???) Anyway, I'm just going back through countless threads for information, and noticed that he hadn't posted in a long time. I feel like an old man whose friends are moving on (dying). I'd love to follow some of these guys (davetibbs, Bigg Will, etc.) on other forums, if they've moved onto other cars, or even social media, as they seemed like pretty great people and always had a lot of intelligent information to contribute. Not to get too sentimental, but does anyone ever hear how they're doing, post-forum?

The following users liked this post:
boostedxf (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:06 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
Whatever happened to 2010 Kyanite XFR???
I can't answer your question but agree he's a good dude and was always helpful! I've been here since '13 and still visit even though I sold my XFR (for a C7 Z06)!

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Hey guys! I'm still around and still have the car. I've lived in DFW now for the past year. I don't drive it as much as I used to and try to stay away from the forum more now because I don't want to keep learning new things to do with it! I've added all the knowledge I have in my previous posts since all I do is change oil and brake pads now. It's fast enough and it's nice enough so just enjoying it until I decide what to do next. Has a little over 80K miles so there is life still in it. BiggWill has an Benz S550 now and we still keep in touch.

Glad to know I made some impact here. I was just doing fun things with the car and sharing to help others. You guys were great to have along for the journey. There were about 10 of us that really kept it going. Feel free to PM me anytime. I get the notifications. And the thread notifications come through and occasionally I feel I have something to add so I will post.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
DeviLSh (05-06-2022), Reaxions (05-11-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I imagine a lot of people will be interested in the headers, though obviously removal of cats means us Californians will have to (as with any header replacement) go back to stock every 2 years to pass smog.

I'll be very interested to see the Jag section go up on the website..
I’ve been able to find a portion of California that is Smog exempt for unknown reasons. Get an address to register and have mailing be your physical address and your all set. (Healdsburg, Ca and I believe north up to Ukiah, Ca is smog exempt) but I know 100% Healdsburg smog not required. Ever.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XFR-S Beast
Thanks... But I'm already cat-less and still have the soak. I'll update again once I make some changes. I've got the fever to get this remedied.... Being in Phoenix and already almost 100 degrees out, the sooner the better!
If you don’t mind I ask how much did your header back exhaust cost and what cats are you running?

Old 05-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedxf
I’ve been able to find a portion of California that is Smog exempt for unknown reasons. Get an address to register and have mailing be your physical address and your all set. (Healdsburg, Ca and I believe north up to Ukiah, Ca is smog exempt) but I know 100% Healdsburg smog not required. Ever.
I’ve been had all my cars registered for in Imperial County in Southern California for 12 years at my address there. No biannual smog but unfortunately you still have to get a smog on a change of ownership. There are also parts of Riverside and I believe San Bernardino in the desert that are also exempt.