XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Future XF redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Future XF redesign?

With this morning's announcement re: upcoming aluminum-chassis XS sedan slated for a 2015 release (targeting the large 3-series/A4 sized entry-level luxury sedan market), curious what everyone's thoughts are on when a redesigned XF will come. With the current generation having been introduced in 2008 and a 2012 refresh, I'm wondering what would be logical to expect timing-wise for (what I assume will be) an aluminum-chassis XF.

I'm antsy to get a 2013 XF Supercharged or XFR, but would be pretty bummed out if Jaguar came out with a dramatic redesign soon thereafter (especially if it is remotely as far a step forward as the F-Type from a sexiness perspective). This is pure speculation and conjecture as well, but I believe I have read that Jaguar may drop the V8s (seems far-fetched at first, but with more and more hybrid performance-oriented models coming from other luxury marques, maybe not so far-fetched after all. Or maybe the reduced weight of the aluminum chassis would allow them to match performance with a forced induction V6). Just spitballing here.

Would be curious to hear any input from others.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I have heard different stories from different sources. It's due either in 2015 or 2016. 4 year refresh is a standard in the industry.

If it ends up being 2016, you will see it in the dealer lots early 2015. If it's due in 2015, you will see it early 2014.

Either way, within the next year and half, we should have the redesigned XF prowling the streets.

Regarding the engines, the V8 will be around for at least another 4-5 years.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting, would be great if they keep the V8s.

Given that it's late 2013 and there haven't been any spy shots or rumors of an imminent redesign makes me think that a MY2015 redesign arriving in dealer lots in early 2014 as unlikely at best. I guess a MY16/calendar year 2015 arrival would make more sense given the 2012 refresh.

Wonder if the impending redesign when it becomes reported on more heavily will have a marked effect on the resale values of the current-gen cars.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Once Jaguar releases more details on the XS that is due in 2015, that will gives us better idea of when the new XF is due as it supposed to be all aluminum too.

They underpinnings will be the same on both, i am sure.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

It's certainly possible Jaguar may fast track (to the extent possible) the next XF, but with the XS (does anyone else think that XS is a stupid moniker? I mean, at least in English, XS means "Extra Small"...) slated for calendar 2015, I highly doubt Jag would introduce both new models the same year. Perhaps at the end of 2015, but my money would be on sometime in early 2016, so they can call it a 2017 model here in the US. That would give the current XF an 8 year model run, which would be about right.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Original XF came out in early 2008. The facelift came out in 2012. The replacement isn't likely until 2016.

In the meantime the XS and the crossover will be released.

It is Los known that the new XF and the new XS are related structurally. In fact, the aluminum architecture is expandable and contractable and suitable for building in fwd, rwd and awd.

In a way, the XF replacement will be a totally new car. The existing steel car is a reworking of the Ford/Lincoln platform dating back to the S Type/Lincoln LS. It needs to be abandoned and will be in the switch to aluminum.

Looks like jaguar sold all their XF tooling rights to Ferrari to build their new Ghibli. ....

Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Lamborghini named their latest supercar Egoista, which means selfish. Remember the Coutach? Which means - wow.

Therefore, I don't mind the name XS at all. On the contrary, I like it as it fits with the rest of the product line and can't be confused too easily.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Jaguar has said previously that the new XF will precede the XS for a number of reasons. I guess we'll see whether that ends up being true. That said, I expect the new XF in calendar year 2015 as a 2016 model. That would be a 7-year product cycle which is the going rate for the class. We now know that the XS will arrive 2016 (2015 overseas). I'd put the crossover in 2017, but perhaps 2016. Jaguar is still a small company and takes a while to get product to market.

While we're at it, I'll go ahead and say the new XK will finally come along after a 10-year cycle in 2017. Word is that they haven't began the development process on it yet. F-Type coupe in 2014 so it will be a busy 5 years by Jaguar standards.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 09-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Crossover show car just shown at Frankfurt. It's coming very soon. Supposedly based on the range rover sport but I doubt that very much.

The reason I think the XS will come before the XF is Jaguar desperately needs a small and fuel efficient car. Since the XS and the XF replacement will be the same car, like Maserati Ghibli and Quattroporte, it makes sense to do the smaller car first.

But only Jaguar knows for sure.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Yes, only Jaguar knows for sure. The fact that the crossover concept looked mostly production-ready on the exterior suggests it may come soon. However, Callum himself said the project hasn't been approved and that the official business case hasn't even been made internally. He could just be trying to throw us off the scent. Jaguar has said directly that it' comes after the XS so I'll interpret that as no sooner than 2016.

It certainly makes some sense to do the XS before the XF but you could also say that it would have made sense to do the XS before the F-Type. They've desperately needed the XS for years no, so I guess what's one more year. Maserati put the QP before the Ghibli so if you want to draw that parallel....

Hallmark has said they don't want XS sales to cannibilize the XF, therefore XF first. With the XS being more of a volume model for Jag, they may actually need the extra time to tool up for increased production. It'll be an interesting few years.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
It's certainly possible Jaguar may fast track (to the extent possible) the next XF, but with the XS (does anyone else think that XS is a stupid moniker? I mean, at least in English, XS means "Extra Small"...) slated for calendar 2015, I highly doubt Jag would introduce both new models the same year. Perhaps at the end of 2015, but my money would be on sometime in early 2016, so they can call it a 2017 model here in the US. That would give the current XF an 8 year model run, which would be about right.
I hate the name! It sounds too much like excess. As in price?!?!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Hallmark was just kicked upstairs last week, so what he had to say a couple years ago may hold more stock today than before re: his opinion that the new XF should precede the XS. However, the latest semi official word that leaked out was that the XS was going to be first. As far as the CUV is concerned, I sure hope they do a LOT more to differentiate it from an Evoque - was basically a dead ringer at the show, and unfortunately reminded me of the badge engineering that Ford is horrendous at (GM and Chrysler and wven Hyundai seem much more capable).

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Hallmark was just kicked upstairs last week, so what he had to say a couple years ago may hold more stock today than before re: his opinion that the new XF should precede the XS. However, the latest semi official word that leaked out was that the XS was going to be first. As far as the CUV is concerned, I sure hope they do a LOT more to differentiate it from an Evoque - was basically a dead ringer at the show, and unfortunately reminded me of the badge engineering that Ford is horrendous at (GM and Chrysler and even Hyundai seem much more capable).

Old 09-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

It's no secret that Callum despises the idea of a crossover Jaguar.

A better solution would be JLR dealerships. Then the Rangie crowd could drop by their Jaguar dealer to by their crossover but with a proper Rangie badge.

Not going to happen soon but it should.

My money is on the XS coming out first. It won't affect XF sales as that market is slowing down a bit anyway.

Once the XS soaks up those customers who find the XF too big and don't buy one then the XF version of the XS is a no brainer.

The marketing just doesn't work the other way around.

We NEED an XS so this is also result oriented thinking on my part. Our 1991 fwd Alfa Romeo needs to be replaced by a V6 SC AWD Jaguar XS right now!

We'd still have the X Type as the replacement for our Alfa but the build quality was just awful, worse than the Alfa! Had the XS been available in 2008 I'd have bought it then.

Anybody at Jaguar listening?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Callum was quoted in Frankfurt as saying he wants to build the crossover -

“If we do build it, and I hope we do,” Callum said. “It’ll be up to this guy [gesturing to line director Stride] to make sure it drives like a Jaguar.
Stride’s confident reply: “I promise.”

Just talk? Maybe, but volume vehicles make it easier to build niche/fun/passion vehicles.

Read more: Jaguar C-X17 Design Team: Difficult, but Necessary to Expand Brand - Motor Trend WOT

Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
It's no secret that Callum despises the idea of a crossover Jaguar.

A better solution would be JLR dealerships. Then the Rangie crowd could drop by their Jaguar dealer to by their crossover but with a proper Rangie badge.

Not going to happen soon but it should.

My money is on the XS coming out first. It won't affect XF sales as that market is slowing down a bit anyway.

Once the XS soaks up those customers who find the XF too big and don't buy one then the XF version of the XS is a no brainer.

The marketing just doesn't work the other way around.

We NEED an XS so this is also result oriented thinking on my part. Our 1991 fwd Alfa Romeo needs to be replaced by a V6 SC AWD Jaguar XS right now!

We'd still have the X Type as the replacement for our Alfa but the build quality was just awful, worse than the Alfa! Had the XS been available in 2008 I'd have bought it then.

Anybody at Jaguar listening?
Pretty tall order to get LR and J under one roof in quite a number of markets, though some progress was made while under Ford ownership. I do agree in principal, though, as they are naturally complementary - we have a couple combined JLR dealers here in Chicagoland, but others are very separate - even across the street from each other and would entail some "interesting" dialogue.

The marketing, however, could easily work in either direction, or even if they decided to do a joint launch, which I think would be highly unlikely. However, quite honestly, I think what Canadians want from Jaguar is completely irrelevant to the issue as the volume in that market is basically a rounding error.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 09-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
I hate the name! It sounds too much like excess. As in price?!?!
I can only agree, I can't even pronounce it any other way in English.

Although in French, we have 'eeks esse'!

This is an interesting thread, and I would think that the powers that be, won't only be focusing on the offerings from BM, MB, Audi, but will include some of the other big players in this market segment.

(ps philhef, did you receive my PM?)

Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22,013 Likes on 8,809 Posts

Sounds more like a revived S-Type wirh an "X" in front in an attempt to fool the populace...

Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
Callum was quoted in Frankfurt as saying he wants to build the crossover -

“If we do build it, and I hope we do,” Callum said. “It’ll be up to this guy [gesturing to line director Stride] to make sure it drives like a Jaguar.
Stride’s confident reply: “I promise.”

Just talk? Maybe, but volume vehicles make it easier to build niche/fun/passion vehicles.

Read more: Jaguar C-X17 Design Team: Difficult, but Necessary to Expand Brand - Motor Trend WOT
He also was quoted as saying: Why not? Everyone else is doing it?

Hmmmm

Does Jaguar need an Allroad? Or a Q5? One hopes not.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe it's due out in 2016 with one more minor nip/tuck next year.

Quick Reply: Future XF redesign?