XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gear shift module - no power- car starts but cant put it in drive.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gear shift module - no power- car starts but cant put it in drive.

I have a strange issue with my 09 XF Supercharged. I pretty sure it's something minor but difficult to isolate like a bad wire or some thing...it was Working fine, then one day go to start it and the gear selector would not lift from the console.

The shop manual says if the gear select has power, you should be able to turn the dial even if it doesn't lift from the console. My dial will not turn or lift.

I got another gear shift module and tried and still does the same thing.

The only code it's throwing is "U0103 lost communications with gear shift module"

I have an i930 DTC reader for jags, and pulled the diag for the transmission control module and the gear shift modules individually.

TCM DTC only sees the U0103 code.
GSM is not being seen by reader at all.

Also, none of the lights that would normally light up on the driveselect are lighting up, but the start button works and the park brake activates (all part of the same unit, same connector)

I've read most of the shop manual and went thru the schematics and tested continuity and voltage/ground on reach pin to the connector. However, im not sure what voltage i should see on each of the pins.

I know the CAN BUS has 2.4v to 2.6v in each pin
I few others have batt voltage on them others have smaller voltages but not sure what they should read.

Does anyone know which pin provides power to light up the buttons?

Im thinking its one of the input signals, but not sure what voltage it should read to confirm it's getting the right levels?

I attached a part of the wiring that shows all the pins to the GSM. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Gear shift module - no power- car starts but cant put it in drive.-screenshot_20170923-185024.jpg   Gear shift module - no power- car starts but cant put it in drive.-screenshot_20170923-185217.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Any blown fuses since there isn’t power?

Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Yes, checked all the fuses in the engine, cabin, and trunk first boxes... lm getting power to the pin on battery and various other power levels on differnt pins. Just not sure what voltage constitutes a"high" or a "on"

Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 PM

more troubleshooting done:

I was able to verify continuity to each pin of the connector going into the gear shift module (GSM). Here are the Readings

I was also able to pull voltage readings for each PIN both with the car OFF and Car running. (ATTCH - Car OFF_car ON.pdf)

when i press the start button, the car comes on but no lights on the GSM. (no light on the start button, P N R D S or no other lights).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Car OFF_car ON.pdf (258.8 KB, 770 views)
Connector Gear shift module.pdf (197.1 KB, 985 views)
Power.pdf (247.7 KB, 537 views)

Last edited by Kodwo Cohen; 10-03-2017 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (12-14-2022)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a pin in the connector is broken.

Kodwo Cohen (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Sharky
Sounds like a pin in the connector is broken.
yeah i thought that too... I've checked continuity from the CJB all the way to the end of the connector good... I'm going to recheck all of my measurements again today...

Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Replace the shifter assembly.

This is a known problem on the earlier cars.
Are you under warranty?
With the age of the car probably not so you could take a chance on a used assembly if you could get it for a good price on EBay?

Kodwo Cohen (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Replace the shifter assembly.

This is a known problem on the earlier cars.
Are you under warranty?
With the age of the car probably not so you could take a chance on a used assembly if you could get it for a good price on EBay?
Yes, I have already tried this route (its noted in the initial post)

I have also tested the voltage readings with the car off and car on while the shifter was unplugged as well as with the car on and the shifter plugged in to see how it behaves under load.(see attachment GSMTSM - Pinout) it seams something is shorting out Pin 12. unless the normal condition to "wake up" the system is to remove voltage in order to release a relay or something, this does not seems to be correct. (the code reader does not see the shifter in the system at all, and unless BOTH shifters are having the exact same issue, it is hard to believe that the shifter is the cause. I am getting a good signal on the HS CAN Bus, so I would expect the code reader to at least see the shifter and report that the shifter has an issue.

Attached Files
GSMTSM - Pinout.pdf (484.6 KB, 495 views)

Last edited by Kodwo Cohen; 10-04-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more details
AndreevBG (06-08-2024)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I did not note that and yes I saw you replaced it but was it a used part?
There were a large number of bad assemblies when the XF first came out.

Any idea what the part number is on the ones you currently have?
Maybe a long shot but if it was used and an early part you might have 2 bad ones?

Just a guess.

I think your troubleshooting is very good and it still points to the shifter assembly.

Kodwo Cohen (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Default this is an excerpt from the JAguar XF workshop manual

DIAGNOSTICS
JaguarDrive Control relies on the correct functionality of the sub-systems. If one of the sub-systems develops a fault, the
JaguarDrive Control system will not function, even though the fault is not in the JaguarDrive Control system.
The JaguarDrive Selector module and rotary control should only be investigated if there are no apparent faults in any of the
sub-systems. If a fault in a sub-system is subsequently corrected, the JaguarDrive Control system will function normally
after an ignition on and off cycle.

JaguarDrive Control Sub-System Faults
If a fault occurs in a sub-system, the driver is alerted by the illumination of a warning indicator and/or an appropriate
message for that sub-system in the instrument cluster message center. No JaguarDrive Control message will be shown
when a failed sub-system displays its own message.
When a sub-system fault is present and the driver attempts to select a different JaguarDrive Control mode or at the next
ignition on cycle, a message 'WINTER MODE FAULT' or 'DYNAMIC MODE FAULT' will appear in the message center. This
generally implies that the JaguarDrive Control system has a fault, but only because a sub-system fault is preventing its
operation. This message will be displayed once per ignition cycle, but is repeated if a further selection is made by the
driver using the JaguarDrive Control buttons or at the next ignition on cycle.
• NOTE: The message 'WINTER MODE FAULT' or 'DYNAMIC MODE FAULT' can also in very rare circumstances be generated
by a fault in the JaguarDrive Control module.

It is not possible for the JaguarDrive Control module to cause any fault behavior (warning indicator illumination or
message generation) in any of the sub-systems. Illumination of a sub-system warning indicator and/or a sub-system
related message will never be associated with a JaguarDrive Control module or JaguarDrive Control system fault.
The sub-system control modules can detect a fault with the CAN (controller area network) bus signal from the transmission
selector module. If a fault in the JaguarDrive Control system is detected, the sub-system control modules will operate in
the 'special modes off' setting. The sub-system control modules will record a fault code for a failure of the JaguarDrive
Control CAN signal. These faults can be retrieved using the Jaguar approved diagnostic tool and will provide useful
information to indicate investigation of the JaguarDrive Selector module or the CAN bus network.
JaguarDrive Control System or Control Module Fault
If a fault occurs in the JaguarDrive Control system, all button icon LED (light emitting diode)'s will be turned off
(background illumination will remain on) and pressing of the JaguarDrive Control buttons is ignored. The instrument cluster
message center will display a message 'WINTER MODE FAULT' or 'DYNAMIC MODE FAULT' when the fault occurs, if the fault
is present and the driver attempts to select a special mode (if the control module is able to do this) or at the next ignition
on cycle.

The JaguarDrive Control buttons and control module (JaguarDrive Selector module) are an integral unit. If a fault occurs in
either component, the whole unit will require replacement, however, this is extremely unlikely.

CAN Bus Faults
If a CAN bus fault exists and prevents JaguarDrive Control system operation, all of the JaguarDrive Control button icon
LED's will be illuminated and rotation pressing of the JaguarDrive Control buttons is ignored.
If the instrument cluster does not receive a JaguarDrive Control system CAN bus message from the JaguarDrive Control
module, the message 'SPECIAL MODE UNAVAILABLE' will be displayed when the fault occurs and will be repeated at every
ignition on cycle.

AndreevBG (06-08-2024)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Sorry I did not note that and yes I saw you replaced it but was it a used part?
There were a large number of bad assemblies when the XF first came out.

Any idea what the part number is on the ones you currently have?
Maybe a long shot but if it was used and an early part you might have 2 bad ones?

Just a guess.

I think your troubleshooting is very good and it still points to the shifter assembly.

Yes it was a used assembly, and i have my car completed taken apart right now so i have access to the part number on both units. I understand the possibility of 2 bad parts,but the long shot is pretty long i think for to of them to have the exact same behavior?

I copied above an excerpt from the workshop manual for diagnosing the drive select unit. they way that they make it sound as if it would be highly unlikely for this unit to be the cause of the issue..not to mention im getting output voltages from the device even though it doesn't light up...

I would feel better on trying a 3rd assembly if I have a better understanding of exactly how each sub-component or module communicates with each other.

Something else i discover in today's round of troubleshooting...

i pulled load readings from each pin (left the harness connected to the Gear select module after starting the car and pulled the readings again, and PIN 12 does appear to be getting shorted out and nothing changes on the "ok to start" output. (see attached diagram) same issue with both drive select modules (orig and replacement).

what im not sure about is what is the normal condition for this? and what triggers the ok to start output signal?

Attached Files
GSMTSM - Pinout.pdf (481.6 KB, 302 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 PM

the original unit part number is : p8x23-7e453-fb/3os04503000
the replacement part number is: pcx23-7e453-be/3os10020852

Last edited by Kodwo Cohen; 10-06-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

I can't get those part numbers to come up?
They appear to be in a different format than I am use to seeing?

Have you tried any Jaguar dealer with your VIN to see what the current part number is and what the superseded part numbers are?

Might give another clue.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Default Those are whay came up when i scanned the bar codes. Here are pictured part numbers

Replacement
Original

Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM

I'm kinda sceptical of this being a common issue when i search the net and no previous reports of similar issues happening... and I've looked!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Tons of threads on this as well as an early recall.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ck-park-32233/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ckorder-46180/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2009-xf-61381/

Get looking at recall notice KO48 and K063. KO48 was withdrawn and replaced with KO63. These shifter problems were on early cars and not reported much if at all after 2009/2010.

The correct part number from your modules are;
CX23-7E453-BE and 8X23-7E453-FB

Both of those part numbers due come up and are valid JLR part numbers.

And another thread with instructions on unlocking the shifter so you can move the car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-park-142488/

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Kodwo Cohen (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM

YEah, i saw some of those, none of them seemed to fit the scenario to me. also I put my VIN in the recall database and only one popped up (which is unrelated but i will be having looked at as soon as im done with this). However, I have been doing more troubleshooting...

when i was going back through my continuity testing, i noticed a random tone where it shouldn't have been and realized the connector C33-C was faulty and shorting out.

i replaced the connector, but when i plug into the GSM i still get the same readings. (which leads me back to the GSM) unless something beyond the GSM is causing a short and blowing the GSM circuit. which i would hope wouldnt happen.

to confirm my theories for myself, by taking the GSM apart myself and found corrosion and damage on the circuit board.

i have obtained another (used) Replacement GSM but my current concern is if something else is shorting it out after the GSM that may have caused the same issue in the first replacement GSM..

another theory is that the second may have been shorted out the same way the first one could have been by the damaged C33-C connector. now that its been rebuilt, im wondering if that could have cleared the issue...

so before i just go plug this one in, im going to do a bit more research first to make sure im not just blowing my money up soon as i plug it in...lol

Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 PM

And another thread with instructions on unlocking the shifter so you can move the car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-park-142488/

yes, that info is actually in the owners manual. ive had to release the park before...

Right now I have completely gutted my Jag, theres nothing but wires inside..lol. figured i would finish customizing it while i have it all taken apart for this issue...

Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF GSM Progframming

Dear Members,

Anyone here can hep me to program a New Gear Shift Modulefor Jaguar XF. I have SDD v157 VCI Original.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi , can you please help.

Hi ,
I have had the exact same problem with my 09 XF 3.0D.
but the problem is intermittent.
have you found what was the problem.
Please let me know.
Best wishes,
Dom

Quick Reply: Gear shift module - no power- car starts but cant put it in drive.