XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gear Shift wont stay in drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Gear Shift wont stay in drive

My XF Sportbrake 2014, requires me to use the paddles to put it into top gear/drive.
By which I mean I will be driving at highway speed using automatic and it will not shift to 8th (top gear). I have to use the paddle, which I hold until it changes up to 8 and shows "D" on the screen.

If I use cruise control once in D it will stay in D, until speed etc dictates it changes down. If I then press Resume it will go back to drive in 8th gear.

There are no noises, shakes or shudders and changes seem as smooth as ever.
The car has travelled 55,000kms and is coming up for an annual service. I am trying to get a definitive answer on whether the gear box needs a top up/flush etc.
Or might it be a simple!!! electrical issue?

Appreciate your advice.

Graham

Old 07-16-2021, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

My money is on electrical. Does the 2014 have a menu option to turn off the gear paddles in D? If so, try that and see if it's getting accidental messages from the paddles and going into manual mode (although it's meant to change out of that after 20s or so). Does it have the same issue in sport mode? And if you enable dynamic or snow mode?

Old 07-17-2021, 01:32 AM

Thank you, I think electrical too. Not sure about that menu option, will investigate. Just tried the sport mode and it didn't make a difference.
Ran out of time so will try Dynamic and Snow mode tomorrow. Appreciate your ideas, will let you know the outcome.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:52 AM

Well I have tried all the different driving modes and it has not made a difference. Cannot find a menu to turn off the paddles.
But when I started the car today the warning came up about the battery, saying the engine would shut down soon. I have had this before and all it needed was a good run.
However I know how picky our Jags are about having a well charged battery, low charge can affect all sorts of things....is it possible this may be the problem? Im not sure how but....?

Old 07-19-2021, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Start with the battery for sure. That can cause all sorts of weird issues
It said the engine would shut down? Or the radio? I've never seen the engine one!

Anyway - fully charge it, but sounds like your battery may be failing. Would eliminate that first as a cheap and easy fix

Old 08-11-2021, 07:09 PM

Well I have not solved this one. The battery is fine. The issue is still there.
I bit the bullet and took the car to the local Highway Robbery Department, sorry Jag Dealer. It needed an annual service and Warrant of Fitness (MOT in the UK ?)
They ran their wizard diagnostic tester tools over the car and could find not one error code. They have never heard of the issue either and had no answers for me.
The car continues to drive well, changes silkily, but will not go into 8th gear ( Drive) while in Automatic without me using the upshift paddle.
If I set the cruise control and put it into 8th and hold the [addle until it shows Drive, it stays there until driving conditions require it to change down which it does perfectly....but I have to put it back into 8th and Drive after pressing the cruise resume.
Its annoying ( I bought and automatic car for a reason) and it has increased fuel usage. I had been getting 5.9litres to 100kms , its now up to 6.6 litres.
It normally revs at 1500 rpm at 105kms/hr but while in 7th gear it stays at around 2100 which is of course the difference in fuel economy.

My guess it is still something electrical but the Jaguar dealer is not interested and doesn't know where to start anyway.

Out of interest the annual service and WOF cost $494.50 (NZD), how does that compare elsewhere?