XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Gearbox fault message code p2704-07 "Transmission Friction Element "

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox fault message code p2704-07 "Transmission Friction Element "

This has happened a few times now on my 2010 XF 3.0D. 85k miles. I pull over and restart the car and it is fine.

The OBD Error Code p2704-07 relates to "Transmission Friction Element". I got a new battery and that cured the famous sequence of error messages but this one has fired up again and is starting to concern me. The car runs beautifully.

Is this a sensor/computer fault or something else? I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

That is likely the lock up clutch. Since the car seems to run normally perhaps it is a wiring issue? The most likely time a lock up clutch fault would be noticable would be during paddle shifts. If the lockup clutch isn't working properly the the manual shifts would feel soft and a bit slow. Fuel economy might suffer.

There are other friction devices inside the gearbox, each gear set uses a set of band clutches but these do not have "friction elements" per se.

ZF transmissions use a mechatronics software module which can be read by a dealer for real faults and stray faults can be cleared just as for the engine ECU. I'd recommend a trip for a warranty service.

The following users liked this post:
Didge (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Many thanks for that. So this isn't a common "fault" then? Would an oil change in the gearbox help as many seem to think this resolves a lot of "issues"? I would have thought a true mechanical fault would rear its ugly head more often but the gearbox seems fine.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know but I doubt it. The standard oil fill is long life synthetic lubricant officially requiring no regular changes. No drain plug is fitted.

I'd get a ZF service shop to read the ECU. Jaguar dealers have this capability.

Didge (06-08-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Jag has released a bulletin

This code is for the failure of clutch E element to engage within the proper time. That's not verbatim. I'm at home and looking to see what others have experienced with this so far. Jaguar just released a bulletin (which I don't have with me or I'd be a bit better versed in the specifics) that directs replacing the transmission if a certain group of codes is recorded and this is one of them.

My first customer with this code drove it about 3 weeks before experiencing the problem a second time. It's still not something we can duplicate in house and, despite having the stored codes, her extended warranty will not cover it until the trans falls out it seems. The second customer who experienced this had no extended warranty and I told him I couldn't in good conscience recommend a $12,000 repair for something that had happened once. He took it, it happened three times the following weekend, then got to where he could barely get down the street.

So I have two very different experiences so far. I'd love to get an idea what others are seeing with this fault code so I can better advise my clients. How long between instances when the car throws the "gear box fault" message and goes into restricted performance mode? My first customer has experienced it three times at highway speeds and only after driving about 60 miles. Anyone else have info on when it is more likely to be duplicated?

Didge (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default And not a fluid problem

The fluid leaking out will lead to consistently harsh shifts. The gear box fault warning will stay on. Low fluid level alone will not cause this as far as I have experienced so far. Neither of these customers has leaks (cooler lines for both were previously repaired and no new leaks are present.)

Old 07-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Default Damage limitation and peace of mind.

Lisalauck, The answer you gave regarding this issue is so bang on the money that I realised I was gambling large.

I have decided that it made sense economically to trade it in for a 3 year newer XF 2.2d Premium Luxury on the basis that if the gearbox does **** itself I would not end up thousands down without an asset. Picked it up today. Not as smooth or pokey as the 3.0d but delighted none-the-less.

Bit disappointed the steering wheel doesn't move out of the way when you get out of the car though!