XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

The Gentleman's Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default The Gentleman's Forum

Thought I would just post an interesting observation. As a previous owner of a Jaguar XF and a Brit I have always been impressed by the quality of the posting in this forum (apart from the spat here and there). I spend a little time on the Bimmerfest forum as I now own a BMW 528 (sorry guys but the XF V6 was not around when I need to change).

I can tell I am in the wrong place when a posting on the Bimmerfest forum asked how to lock up his gun in his BMW, something I have never ever seen here. I am a Brit and totally against the possession and use of guns in the domestic environment, and I am totally horrified. I guess this is America.

My point for this rant is that I am thankful for the quality and behaviour in this forum and I will continue to read and be educated here. I am looking at a Jag for my next car now that Jaguar have broadened their range a little. I will be back. Thank you for a little sanity.

The following 2 users liked this post by whitbyxf:
edobernig (05-27-2013), Gippsland (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The ski pass through on the newest XF will be handy for long gun transport! Previously, one had to purchase and install the optional umbrella holder.

(I'm Canadian, we only transport our long guns in plain sight and usually hanging in the back window of our pickups, we're not really allowed to conceal them) .

Seriously, I take your point and agree. Driving a Jaguar is unlike driving other Marques. There is a calming effect of the way these cars drive, even when pressing on ( I too am British, originally).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Aux armes, mes Citoyens!

Thanks for the kind comments, this is a very civilised Forum.
Not much work for us to do really.
Interesting to compare the attitude to firearms between the UK and France.
The EU has taken away some of our Liberté but gun ownership is lightly policed and gun crime (apart from the drug cartel shoot outs) is rare.
The odd crime passionel and accidental chasseur shooting but nothing to get excited about.
I think the Americans take things to excess - it is difficult to see the need for an M61 Vulcan - but I do worry a bit about Governments that are obsessive about taking weapons out of private ownership.
Anyway, each to his own and look forward to see you in a calmed and de-Beemered state soon.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Whitebyxf,

Good to have you back!
You will find a lot more respect floating around here than on Bimmerfest. On the other hand, the younger demographics on there probably keeps the forum extremely active.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Let us agree to drop the gun issue.....I was posting my comments with tongue in cheek, perhaps ill advised.

As for searching out a new Jaguar this is the time to be on the alert. Jaguar intends to release a small raft of new models and revised existing models over the next few years.

The awd XF and XJ were first followed closely by the F Type convertible. The F Type RS is likely next followed by the F Type Coupe. There is a crossover coming, possibly Evoque based or perhaps even Range Rover based! Finally, we are promised a new smaller sedan and revised XF and XK.

JLR has the capital to pull all this off and seems to have both the expertise and production capacity to deliver. Their new engine manufacturing plant will open soon, for example.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I really resent the notion that people who understand, appreciate, and exercise their right to bear arms are not "sophisticated" or should not be perceived as "gentlemen". It is rather arrogant to suggest same and intelligent/sophisticated people can respectfully (keyword) disagree and debate the subject. And no, I have never owned a gun or even shot one, but I fully understand the philosophical principles underlying the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Humph! I should hardly perambulate about the public thoroughfare without my pair of flintlocks. Footpads and highwaymen are everywhere you know, many of whom seem to drive BMWs.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

" I will be back. Thank you for a little sanity."
Not so sure it is an age thing as suggested. I think the common goal here is to keep our cars running as smooth and cheaply as possible. It is easy to be polite when asking for help. And people can feel satisfied when helping an other person,or likes to share a good find. Look forward to you "being back"
Neil.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I really resent the notion that people who understand, appreciate, and exercise their right to bear arms are not "sophisticated" or should not be perceived as "gentlemen". It is rather arrogant to suggest same and intelligent/sophisticated people can respectfully (keyword) disagree and debate the subject. And no, I have never owned a gun or even shot one, but I fully understand the philosophical principles underlying the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution.
EXACTLY!

I was taught at a very young age by my WWII veteran father about the care and handling of guns, both Long and
Hand...I have and shot almost every calibre of Hand gun..I like the machinery and craftsmanship of the gun's make and model along with the sport of shooting..I also am a Lifetime member of the NRA and have a concealed carry permit...
Having said all that, it is obvious how I feel about our 2nd Amendment..BUT, I feel we need tighter more stringent controls to protect us lawful owners and to keep guns out of the hands of crazy and deranged criminals with records of mental illness and felonies..just common sense..I was real disappointed that the recent Gun control bill was voted down..I felt it had valid merit.

Oh By the Way, I am a "Gentleman" too

Last edited by DPK; 05-24-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Mea Culpa
We mustn't hijack Whitby's thread and get onto the firearms bandwagon.
I've already told myself off.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

WhitbyXF - Great to have you back here with us and thanks for the kind comments on the forum, its members / attitudes and how its run.

We have put a lot of time & effort into how the forum runs on a daily basis fora long time, that coupled with great members wh oall seem to want the same thing, means its usually a nice place to visit / hang out.

There's always the odd little upset here n there, but thats life and it doesn't usually last too long.

Hope you're enjoying your BM at least if not the forum.

It'd be great to see you back in a Jag and back here active, however, Jag owner or not you're always welcome here for the craic.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

All,

This was not intended to be a swipe at guns or a comment on gun control (I know how contentious that can be and I do have strong opinions which would be out of place here) but more of a comment on how less contentious the Jag forum can be and civilized people are to each other. The 5 series forum I look at spends most of its time telling people that those with 528i are not worthy of the marque (despite the fact that the biggest selling 5 series in the world is a 4 cylinder diesel, albeit not sold in the USA) and trying to prove that the 550i with Dinan S3 is as good as an M5. All rather tiring. This forum, most of its time, comments on problems and how to fix them, comments on the car in general and a general sharing of experiences with the marque. In other words you learn what owning a Jag entails.

I have noticed that when driving the Jag, people were more respectful to me on the road than when driving the BMW. I tend get people racing me and cutting me up, even though my driving style has not changed. So I continue to make the point that Jag people in general and people's regard for Jag people are more civilised and, dare I say it, gentlemanly (with apologies to the ladies for the use of male term).

With Jag's new range of options in the XF range I expect to back sooner rather than later. I have just test driven the V6 SC and was very impressed. The 4 cylinder is not impressive and I was quite disappointed with the engine. The 5 series I have has a 4 cylinder engine which is a gem and fitted to the Jag would improve that model tremendously. So Jag have some work to do on the 4 cylinder, but the V6 is very good with plenty of low down torque. Jag have also tightened quality somewhat and, especially with respect to the inside, have made the whole car feel better put together.

And thank you all for welcoming me back. I much appreciate the comments.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I think it stays civil because we don't usually discuss guns, religion, or politics the way some other forums do.

BTW, the 2nd Amendment is very dear to most Americans and a right our founders felt was very important to the maintenance of a free state.

It has worked very well for us for 200+ years so............I think I'll leave it at that.

"I guess this is America."

Yes it is.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 05-24-2013 at 02:55 PM.
wardo5757 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Amen

Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All good WhitbyXF.............see you back in a Jag soon

whitbyxf (05-25-2013)