XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

getting a 2010 XF SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a 2010 XF SC

I've been looking at some XFR-S and XFR's for about 18 months. Ended up getting an XF SC in the color scheme I prefer, with an ECU tune.

Have a couple of questions

I've seen an XFR of the same year that's being parted out. - What parts might I look at getting.

I figure the slotted rotors and calipers might be worth being something to get? That seems like a drop-in replacement

Other things? Suspension pieces?

Is it possible to drop in a ZF8 transmission/wiring harness/TCU from a 2012 to a 2010 with the ZF6? Maybe some part of the dash is needed to support the 8 speed?

My son was offering some suggestions.

We about fell over when we saw the OEM XFR-S rear spoiler being 7-8k pounds. Found another one in carbon fiber for 999 pounds. other than a speed spoiler, any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2024, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Slotted rotors and such are not stock. If you like them get them. I am not sure but do check if the XFR had bigger brakes? I "think" the SC came with them too but not sure?

Forget the 8 speed. Anything is possible but with the price of these cars if the 8 speed is a requirement you will be better off getting one that came with the 8 speed.

I would get reading as you have a 2010 and there are a lot of maintenance items you will need to fix. Plastic cooling tube/parts failure is number one. Followed by the water pump.
Do you have any service history on the car? There are a number of much better Aluminum cooling parts out now. Your choice but here is what I have upgraded.

Aluminum cooling tube between water pump and oil cooler brick
The 2 big front cooling pipes again replaced with Aluminum versions.
The thermostat housing in Aluminum
We just got the rear water manifold released in Aluminum too.
Current best water pump part number ends in 3909 if your using factory Jaguar parts. There are after market units too.

You did not mention mileage but timing tensioners and/or chains might be in your future UNLESS you find they have already been replaced? Since it's a 2010 you might have lucked out since it's an old car.

Fluids too. Transmission, rear diff, brake fluid, coolant, PS fluid. These are all at the end of their life plus most likely NOT done.
Also forget Jaguars oil change intervals and change it around 5K-8K miles. It's just cheap insurance. You do know the oil change is all done from the top of the engine? Do you have an oil extractor to do this? The last oil change I had done at the dealer was $225!

Who made the tune? I only use VAP. If you don't have the lower pulley get it. Way more power than just the tune. You can keep going too if you want? Smaller upper pulley, ported blower and now we have a larger blower option too! Exhaust and intake stuff are more about noise/sound than power but their are small gains to be had there too.

Can you DIY all this? If not it will be a money pit.
What scanner do you have and has the car been scanned? We have huge threads on what scanner to get.
Get the service manuals. We have a parts manual (JEPC and JPART). These are free on the forum and found with some searching.
The shop manuals are a mess and get a cheap disc off EBay but be warned Jaguar manuals and documents are difficult and cryptic to use. This forum will be your major source of information.

Remember one of the great things about buying an old 2010 car is the problems have long since been found out and solved. All the answers are here on the forum with some searching.

You mentioned you found the color combo you liked so post up some pictures of your new beauty!
It's always helpful to give where your at too?

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
2010XFPushBrakeHarderToStart (05-05-2024), SunTzuTech (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM

The guy who sold it clearly was into having a good car. It has ~94k miles. In November, the timing chain work, was done along with anything the shop thought might need replaced to prevent a problem was done. The tune was applied after all the engine work was done. The carfax is pretty good from the original owner, and the seller has had the car a little over a year, with only about 1500 miles on it since he owned it.

He sold it bc he won a Camaro SS on an instagram giveaway.

The original option sheet shows that the car had slotted rotors, but the pictures show normal ones. The seller says that the previous owner replaced the rotors with stock ones.

here's the carsandbids page https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rkD...f-supercharged

Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SunTzuTech
The guy who sold it clearly was into having a good car. It has ~94k miles. In November, the timing chain work, was done along with anything the shop thought might need replaced to prevent a problem was done. The tune was applied after all the engine work was done. The carfax is pretty good from the original owner, and the seller has had the car a little over a year, with only about 1500 miles on it since he owned it.

He sold it bc he won a Camaro SS on an instagram giveaway.

The original option sheet shows that the car had slotted rotors, but the pictures show normal ones. The seller says that the previous owner replaced the rotors with stock ones.

here's the carsandbids page https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rkD...f-supercharged
I'm currently in Northern Virginia, but will be moving to the Tampa area in the next couple of months.

Here's a picture of it.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Great color and great car!
With the news that the timing stuff has been done I would breath MUCH easier!

See if you can get the receipts so you can be ahead of repairs.
But do consider replacing the plastic cooling parts with metal at some time. Even the factory replacement plastic parts have been known to fail repeatedly. Metal replacement and no more worries.

I always like dealing with car guys too. Plus talk about lucky!! A new Camaro SS for free. Yes sign me up please! Plus he sold it for a reason that had nothing to do with having problems with the Jag. Another very positive sign.

The following users liked this post:
SunTzuTech (04-27-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:28 PM

So the seller says that the previous owner replaced a water pump at 55k and just before he sold it around 88-89k. Here's the work sheet from the November timing chain work. (I'm going to call the shop to see if they can push that work to carfax)

For one of the replacement aluninum parts, were you talking about this:

https://minagallery.com/jaguar-xfr-x...take-tube-kit/

if you've got a list of part numbers you could PM for the aluminum replacements, I'd appreciate it. Kinda drinking from the firehose right now. :-)

Thanks

Old 04-30-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

That's a lot of work and be glad you did not pay that invoice!
Looks good but I don't understand why the water pump and water pump to oil cooler brick pipe tube was not replaced at the same time?
Al.water transfer tube.
Al. Water Tube

There is now a nice Al. thermostat housing out too?
Al. Thermostat Housing

He did replace the rear water manifold but no mention of the front two pipes which are the main source of leaks?
Al. Front Cooling Tubes

Just to note there is now a metal rear water manifold for the 5.0L engines. Fits both NA and SC engines.
Metal Rear Water Manifold

No what you posted is a metal air intake. Nice to look at but no gain at all. The factory twin air box with ram air is pretty well designed and little to no gains are to be found. Now if you like noise then install the cone filter setup.

What I was talking about is there are nice kits out now that bundles most of the above parts together.
Coolant Parts Upgrade Kit

The above kit lacks some things and has some plastic where you can get Al. if that's important to you?
So we have options for most of the factory plastic stuff now.

The following users liked this post:
SunTzuTech (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:56 AM

Thank you for that. I really do appreciate it.

I had mentioned the same thing to the seller about the Aluminum Air Intake from Mina, and he already knew about it, and sent me a youtube video where someone did the work and had it dyno'd and it was a HP loss.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SunTzuTech
Thank you for that. I really do appreciate it.

I had mentioned the same thing to the seller about the Aluminum Air Intake from Mina, and he already knew about it, and sent me a youtube video where someone did the work and had it dyno'd and it was a HP loss.
Off topic but back in the 80's I worked next block over on E Gutierrez from that Jag outfit. And I recently got a 2010 XF. Small world.