XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

going to install new rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default going to install new rotors

so i ordered these power slot performance rotors, they look pretty good to and ebc brakes the red ****. putting it on sometime this week, while im at it going to put in new denso spark plugs and change the oil all DIY at the local car shop that im allowed to use.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck...I'm sure some members would like to see the pad and rotor replacement process in pictures if you have the time during your install.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Plugs need replacing at 100,000 miles. Any earlier and you are just wasting your money.

Slotted rotors are just a marketing gimmick. They wear out pads faster, can be noisier and make absolutely no difference to street braking performance.

Go ahead though if you think it will make a difference.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jagular
Plugs need replacing at 100,000 miles. Any earlier and you are just wasting your money.

Slotted rotors are just a marketing gimmick. They wear out pads faster, can be noisier and make absolutely no difference to street braking performance.

Go ahead though if you think it will make a difference.
text deleted

Last edited by plums; 07-08-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: inappropriate post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Lol

You really think a spark plug that don't need replacing are going give you performance gains on a car that weights over 4000 pounds?!?!

BTW, your OEM rotors have 4 times the quality of powerslot rotors.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Well, that went downhill rather quickly.

Both the plug and brake subject get beaten to death on this and every other car and bike forum- not to mention oil and filters. It's pointless as NO ONE ever changes anybody else's mind.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned
Default no personal attacks

Originally Posted by Executive
Lol

You really think a spark plug that don't need replacing are going give you performance gains on a car that weights over 4000 pounds?!?!

BTW, your OEM rotors have 4 times the quality of powerslot rotors.
text deleted

Last edited by plums; 07-08-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Does troll have two ll's or just one?

The point of posting is not to convert the original poster, beyond redemption I'd say, but to help others who might be similarly taken in avoid the same dumb mistakes.

There are those who tinker because they like tinkering, but the dangerous ones are those who tinker thinking they know better than the factory engineers and ruin a perfectly good car with inappropriate aftermarket "improvements".

The XF could no doubt be improved, for a price, and the factory does sell a very high performance version for a lot more money than my base model. The top line XF is a superb performance car, probably the best bang for your buck in its category. But the box stock base XF is an absolute steal at the price they sell for in North America. Nothing can touch it. I know, I'm a cheap b@$t@rd.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Leave your plugs alone.

As far as brakes, I'm gonna side with the majority here and say leave them alone unless they need to be replaced for some reason. Even then, factory jaguar parts generally far supersede aftermarket parts.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jagfinityguy
hey how about you post on this forum when you actually have enough money to buy a jag and get rid of that beat up lincoln you. you know what we call people like you we call em stragglers. you straggle cus you cant afford a jag but you post on here like you know it all. ive been on this forum for a few years and been seeing you on here posting dumb stuff.

Check dis out patna. I needya your doc send me that IEP report/ Psych evaluation, i wanna kno what's wrong with ya.....na meen.
Ya kno, you keep up, ya gonn be kicked outta the hudle....not a good look patna......nam sayn

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Why are going with cheapo Power Slot rotors with great ebc red stuff pads? Get the ebc Ultimax rotors and do it right.

Also I think you should tone down your posts a bit, we are all fans of the XF.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular

The point of posting is not to convert the original poster, beyond redemption I'd say, but to help others who might be similarly taken in avoid the same dumb mistakes.

There are those who tinker because they like tinkering, but the dangerous ones are those who tinker thinking they know better than the factory engineers and ruin a perfectly good car with inappropriate aftermarket "improvements".
Very valid points and perhaps some of the most important reasons that these discussion boards exist. It's easy enough to be sucked in by flashy marketing that promise the moon and most of us have taken the bait at one time or another. Still- those miracles in a box with flashy graphics shuuuuure do look mighty tempting.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive

Check dis out patna. I needya your doc send me that IEP report/ Psych evaluation, i wanna kno what's wrong with ya.....na meen.
Ya kno, you keep up, ya gonn be kicked outta the hudle....not a good look patna......nam sayn

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

These debate threads need more side by side photos, with before and after! That would make for a better debate and provide some visual excitement to go along with the written exchanges which are not that exciting when they deteriorate. I have seen some very high end cars modded that look fabulous and others not so much. I don't see why both view points cannot co-exist in a forum with a civilized discussion.

Last edited by jaguny; 07-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

im painting my calipers yellow tomorrow, going to look good with the black car and machined rims. bought g2 paint kit set

Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive also heard bad things about slotted rotors (especially cheaper ones) about cracking, wearing down the pads quicker, and not being able to resurface (if you care about that).

Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys, maybe jagfinityguy has a point, because as he says "ive been on this forum for a few years and been seeing you on here posting dumb stuff" (Join date June 2012???) LMFAO /end sarcasm

Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm all for tinkering...but slotted and drilled rotors are like giant cheese graters for your pads....just think of all those edges.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I don't know much if anything about brake rotors, slotted or otherwise, but I do like the looks. Found a possibly informative article on the net that seems rational. It is old, but again the points seem to come from a balance view. Others with more experience could offer thoughts on the info here in the spirit of forum interchange.

Brake Rotors: slotted versus drilled - Steven R. Rochlin - Car Court

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know a lot on the Jag rotors, but some of you need to be a little more open minded. There ARE applications for both slotted AND x-drilled rotors. It all depends on your plans for the car and where you live.

I have yet to run x-drilled because they "can" crack quicker and only reduce heat dissipation for the most part. I have used slotted rotors quite a few times and they are an improvement over OEM's. My main reason for upgrading was two fold.....A) I had set my car up for auto-x and B) living in New England with STi sized rotors, it made the car stop MUCH quicker due to the actual size of the rotor being wet.

Put it this way...with a non-slotted rotor there's more surface area for water to sit on, which in turn makes stopping take a longer amount of time. With slotted rotors there is less surface area and the water can "slip" into those slots which means quicker stopping. The best I can describe was that some times in freezing conditions my STi wouldn't stop when hitting the brakes on initial start and first or 2nd stop, with slotted they stopped at LEAST 30ft sooner in the same situation.

For everyday normal use I would think it's a wash. You need better rotors only if you plan on doing more "spirited" driving, such as auto-x or an HPDE event. I used the DBA slotted rotors and loved them!!!

Last edited by MaSTi; 07-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: going to install new rotors