XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Good Buy XFR

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Goodbye XFR

Hello All,

I haven't been that active, as I once was...

I joined shortly after I purchased my 2012 XFR nearly 3 years ago, and here I am saying good by to my XFR, but not to the forum, and not to Jaguars...

This is what my Jaguar XFR looked like after I added my own personal touches:

It didn't look too over the top... and don't think that I didn't add the go fast bits to suit the new look... I had added:
- Mina Exhaust (mainly for looks and sound, not for added power),
- Mina Pulley,
- RICA Tune

I had some really good results, below is my dyno chart of stock vs final power with tune, pulley and exhaust. The numbers below are at the wheel, not crank horsepower. If I had to estimate crank I would assume a conservative 10% for losses:

But I was entering my final year of warranty, and I didn't want to own a car that was going to be out of warranty, and I had an itch, that the XFR just couldn't scratch anymore...

Enter Bluey :

2015 XFR-S, in Ultra Blue.

For anyone that wondered if the XFR-S is worth the extra cost and worth the hype over an XFR...

All I can say is... it certainly is...

I am a firm believer that there is definitely a market for aftermarket support, and some yield some phenomenal results, but there is something about getting a car that was designed by the manufacturer already turned up to max capacity... they way the car rides, and handles is on a completely different spectrum then what the XFR does, and that's saying a lot, as I believe the XFR is a great ride.

I recently drove an Audi RS-7, and after getting back into my XFR, I didn't feel that impressed by the RS-7. At the time the all wheel acceleration was exhilarating, but at no point did the machine scare or excite me... My XFR was no slouch (see above dyno chart), and the steering feel and response in my Jaguar still made the RS-7 feel too big and clunky, and that you were detached from the road... this wasn't your average 10-15 minute test drive, I was gone for over an hour, with the RS-7

I stopped by the Jaguar dealer recently, as the Sales Manager had something I just must come by and see... Sure enough I took an XFR-S for a test drive (this was my first time in an XFR-S), and all I can say is all it took was a 15minute test drive for me to have the car truly impress me in how it handled, it was everything my XFR was, but instead of being turned up to 8, this was cranked up to a full 10... the way TRAC mode is programmed on the XFR-S must be completely different then how it is on the XFR, as it lets the back end slide out a lot more than the XFR...

I drive in dynamics with TRAC mode on about 80% of the time, and on very few occasions, have I actually disabled ESC completely... this was after getting truly familiar with the car and how it drives and handles... so stepping out of my tuned XFR (which is comparable to the XFR-S motor output wise, not for handling or traction or poise...) it should have been a fairly easy transition driving my XFR and getting into the XFR-S... and under normal circumstances that is true, but for those times when you really want to give it a little, it has already on two occasions created a code brown scenario.

Then there are the little things that are an improvement over the 2012, the 8 speed is an improvement over the 6 speed. The Meridian sound system is leaps and bounds ahead of the B&W and again that's saying alot... I had added an aftermarket subwoofer to the B&W in my XFR, and I moved it over to my XFR-S and all I can say, is it sounds ten times better in my new XFR-S...

There are somethings that were done better in the 2012, than in the 2015, which is unfortunate, and this is minor, but any of the buttons, on the steering wheel (mode, voice control, cruise, etc...), or on the center console (lock, unlock, hazards, etc...) were a rubbarized material, that felt better to the touch in the 2012, and now in the 2015, these are a hard plastic, that although more durable, do feel cheaper to the touch...

That's enough rambling for now...

Last edited by H.Jones; 10-07-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Finally!

Another RS on the board!! Whoop!! Thank you. I have driven both R and RS and agree with your findings. Regarding the Audi -- there is a contributor over on the "F" forum who believes the RS7 Audi runs circles around the Jag. Good to hear your feedback from that perspective as I have always wondered myself.

Now are you going to put that RS on the track and show us some numbers!!?? Please do!

And of course, welcome, again.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Good Buy XFR

Good to know you finally got the blue XFR-S you always wanted! Glad you aren't leaving us. And happy to know someone with the only Jag I'd trade mine for. Looks like it has the big wing? And just in time for winter

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 10-06-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I was hoping for some xfrs owners to ask a few questions. Have you driven xkr or xkrs and/or ftype? I was looking ahead to next vehicle after my xf sc and was wondering if the 's versions of the xf and xk come anywhere near the handling of the ftype. I know they are totally different cars, but my xf has more body roll than I'd like, although power and steering feel are good. For price of ftype 's loaded or r, you can be in an xfrs or xkrs. Thoughts? Congrats too, beautiful car.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by allenman85
Another RS on the board!! Whoop!! Thank you. I have driven both R and RS and agree with your findings. Regarding the Audi -- there is a contributor over on the "F" forum who believes the RS7 Audi runs circles around the Jag. Good to hear your feedback from that perspective as I have always wondered myself.

Now are you going to put that RS on the track and show us some numbers!!?? Please do!

And of course, welcome, again.
Thanks!!! and of course opinions are just that... they tend to be very subjective, and entirely dependent on the person's perspective...

I personally love the way the XFR-S handles and corners, and how it makes you as a driver feel...

I don't think I'll be taking her to a track anytime soon, weather is already getting cold(er)... If I can fit in a trip in October, then maybe, but most likely will have to wait till next year...

Last edited by H.Jones; 10-07-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Good to know you finally got the blue XFR-S you always wanted! Glad you aren't leaving us. And happy to know someone with the only Jag I'd trade mine for. Looks like it has the big wing? And just in time for winter
Thanks Brian!!!

It does have the big wing... here is another angle, these pics are all from the dealer's website, prior to me picking it up, it's already been tinted, I just have been too busy/ lazy to take pictures for myself, but I will, soon enough:

Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I was hoping for some xfrs owners to ask a few questions. Have you driven xkr or xkrs and/or ftype? I was looking ahead to next vehicle after my xf sc and was wondering if the 's versions of the xf and xk come anywhere near the handling of the ftype. I know they are totally different cars, but my xf has more body roll than I'd like, although power and steering feel are good. For price of ftype 's loaded or r, you can be in an xfrs or xkrs. Thoughts? Congrats too, beautiful car.
Where I am price of an F-Type-S or R, and XKR or R-S are in a completely different ball park than the XFR or R-S

I have not driven the XKR or the F-Type, being that I am 6'5" I am pretty tall, and the XKR-S is very comfortable for me to sit in and great for visibility... but not having taken it out for a drive, I was under the impression having read some reviews that the XFR already handled better then the XKR, so for me the XKR never appealed to me...

I have a fairly young family (two kids, 8 & 7) and although that 95% of the time it's just me in my car, there are occasions where I would need room for them... We have two other vehicles, my wife's main family cruiser, Audi Q5, and my winter beater, Subaru Forester... it becomes a tough sell for any two seater (wife wouldn't be happy), so I resisted all temptation from taking an F-Type out for a test drive. I have sat in both the coupe and the convertible, and I will say I know I would most likely get a coupe, if I ever got one, but the visibility and comfort were definitely hampered in the coupe, given my size... (as stated above I am 6'5" and about 225lbs)...

I do not believe I could ever really compare an F-Type to a sedan... So if I compare an F-Type to XKR then I would say the F-Type takes it every time, on looks and appeal, but not having driven either, I will reserve my judgment on which is a better ride...

As for body roll in your current XF SC, well my XFR feels like it was a Cadillac Deville compared to how the XFR-S handles... Some reviews classify the XFR-S as being too stiff, and I agree that it is a noticeably stiffer ride than my XFR, but what you gain is handling is well worth it...

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:35 PM

So yes, I ran all at the Jaguar Academy for two days in Miami. All the cars are fun. For me though I am very tall and like a lot of room and I like sedans in general. The F just feels too tight for daily driving. Is it awesome? Yes! However, I like having the room and feel of a sedan.
The XKR is still cool but it ranks low on my list since Jag did not keep it up to date and kept only a 6 speed in it. It really lagged against the other R cars in corner acceleration due to gearing.
The XFR was very impressive as well at the track. I can feel a lot of difference in the RS vs R and wish Jag Academy had put RS's on the track.
As far as body roll, I will say that the XFR & RS do have more body roll than I like and especially more than the F but one of the courses we ran at Academy was the oval tight loop in XF. Really impressive. I didn't feel the body roll as much on that track but I suspect it was because the instructor was in the passenger seat giving better weight balance.
BTW, the XJR was biggest surprise there -- it actually weighs less than the XF and has crazy good handling. It just is too big for my liking and I don't like the interior styling.
Hope that helped.

jaguny (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. It will be interesting to see how the new XF architecture handles, even in the base cars.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Well played on the upgrade! Keep us posted on the mods on this one

Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Very Nice!

Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Well played on the upgrade! Keep us posted on the mods on this one
I don't know if I will do anything to this one... probably not for a while... it took me a good year before I finally wanted to upgrade my XFR, but for now I am happy with it just the way it is...

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Very Nice!
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. It will be interesting to see how the new XF architecture handles, even in the base cars.
I am really curious if they will be releasing an XFR or XFR-S for the new generation XF... but for now I still think the face-lifted XF (2012 on...) has/ will age very gracefully...

All the reviews seem to be very positive for the new generation XF as far as handling goes, but that doesn't surprise me, I don't think I have driven a modern performance sedan that provides the driver with the kind of feedback that you get in a Jaguar

Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I am really curious if they will be releasing an XFR or XFR-S for the new generation XF...

The real question is whether they will offer a V8 engine in the new XF.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones
I don't think I have driven a modern performance sedan that provides the driver with the kind of feedback that you get in a Jaguar

Hmm, you should go drive the Lotus Evora S. Feel the tire patches in your fingertips and tilt your head a little to turn ;-) I use your same quote about the Evora. I had one totaled and could not find anything that came close to the feel so bought another one. Really worth talking the dealer into a test drive.

Oops, you said sedan, I guess it is not a sedan. But it does have seating for 2 adults and two "tiny people".

Old 10-18-2015, 04:43 PM

I have some left over stuff from the 2012 XFR, so I figured I would post a link to the advertisement I have:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-cover-151714/

I could possibly re-use the engine cover... but would be weird to put the "R" brand on an "R-S" product, and the exhaust has been sitting in my garage on a shelf for nearly 2 years...

Old 10-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

To the OP, a belated welcome! Great to see another Canadian RS owner.

Originally Posted by allenman85
Regarding the Audi -- there is a contributor over on the "F" forum who believes the RS7 Audi runs circles around the Jag. Good to hear your feedback from that perspective as I have always wondered myself.
Unfortunately, it does, and rather thoroughly so, at least from a numbers perspective. But subjectively, I agree and will take the Jag every day over the numb Audi. I ran an RS6 from '04 to '09 before switching over to an XFR and the only time I miss that car is in winter.

H.Jones (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sybarite
To the OP, a belated welcome! Great to see another Canadian RS owner.

Unfortunately, it does, and rather thoroughly so, at least from a numbers perspective. But subjectively, I agree and will take the Jag every day over the numb Audi. I ran an RS6 from '04 to '09 before switching over to an XFR and the only time I miss that car is in winter.
First of all thanks Sybarite!!!

I agree on paper the RS7 does appear to be far superior to the XFR-S, but when you drive them they are completely shine in their own way, I have attached a link to an article that compares, E63S vs RS-7 vs XFR-S:
2014 Audi RS7 vs. 2014 Jaguar XFR-S vs. 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S - European Car Magazine

The article does a great job, and I love the summary, everything from, and on: "Lined up against these grip monsters was the Jaguar and, to be honest, at this point we'd almost discounted it from the reckoning..."

Also another article that compares these two cars and many others. I believe someone already posted this one, in separate thread, which I already commented on:
V8 Supercars Sedan Showdown - Comparison Tests

I mean if you see the table they create at the bottom of the article:

And you look at the first 5 categories, and the Jaguar comes in 2nd to what appears to be a heavily favored M5. 19.5, and 20, respectively. I do not know how the XFR-S gets a 2.5 for ride, when the Audi gets a 4.5?

And when you look at the second half of the table, the remaining 5 categories are primarily subjective... but again the two that get me are "interior ergonomics..." and "Gearbox"... I will start with the gearbox, as it is a shorter point. The RS-7 and the XFR-S both have the same 8 speed ZF Auto. The only difference is the programming of the TCU, and I do not know know how they do not get the same score? more worrying is how the Mercedes' 7 speed auto, gets the top score, when it has been the only criticism of most auto journalists that driven an AMG product that uses that 7 speed auto. I am speechless.

on to the interior, having sat in both the Audi does have a certain wow factor, but after that initial first impression wears off, you are a little frustrated with how overly complicated they make things. I am not an older guy, I am 35, so it's not that I am technologically challenged. The wife's car is an Audi 2014 Q5 (highest trim for that model), and anytime she has driven my car she continually comments on how intuitive and easy to get used to my car is. She rarely drives my car, say once or twice a year, yet I drive her car on occasion about once a month. and I will say that the ergonomics are far superior in the Jaguar.

Now when you compare the ergonomics and styling of the XFR-S and RS-7, yes there are some nice features, night vision, heads up display, a lot of tech features that all they do is inflate the price, and really don't add to the drive experience. And will never compensate for the dead/ numb steering feel...

The second image at the bottom of that same article, provide a lot of insight on how in fact in a straight line there is a huge advantage to the AWD vs RWD:

0-60 in 3.7 seconds as tested is nothing to sneeze at when it outshines the only other RWD in this competition, and eventual winner of this comparison, the M5...

Bottom line, I do not ever expect that there will be a unanimous decision as to what is the best period. We all have our likes and dislikes, and we have our opinions.

I can say this honestly, as I have driven both the RS-7 and the XFR-S. I have not driven the Porsche or the BMW, as neither would have appealed to me. I have not driven an S or 4matic versions of the AMG, again the Mercedes was just not for me, neither in CLS or E63 guise. I would have been happy to choose from the RS-7 and the XFR-S, and what was/ is best for me, is the XFR-S.

End Rant

allenman85 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by H.Jones
I can say this honestly, as I have driven both the RS-7 and the XFR-S. I have not driven the Porsche or the BMW, as neither would have appealed to me. I have not driven an S or 4matic versions of the AMG, again the Mercedes was just not for me, neither in CLS or E63 guise. I would have been happy to choose from the RS-7 and the XFR-S, and what was/ is best for me, is the XFR-S.
Excellent commentary. I *really* tried to like the BMW M5 and E63 when I was shopping but there was something missing. When I drove the RS I was hooked. There were no RS7's in town during my shopping spree but after recently sitting in one I was bored in minutes. It just doesn't speak to me.

So much of this is subjective -- buy the car you love to drive -- not the one that wins C&D or R&T. And of course, have fun!!