XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Got a 2012 XFR with Tire & Wheel Coverage - Is it worth it>?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Got a 2012 XFR with Tire & Wheel Coverage - Is it worth it>?

I just got a 2012 XFR. The finance manager sold me on a tire and wheel warranty. It includes windows chips and door dings. I got it for $895 and it has a 5 year term. I have 60 days to figure out if I should keep it. The deciding factor for me was that I replaced 2 tires on the XF after hitting pot holes. One incident chipped the rim as well. The repairs for both tires (two separate incidents cost around $600 or so after all was done and over with). The City (Los Angeles) rejected my claims even though we are talking about BIG pot holes. It wasn't worth my time to go to small claims.

Anyway, I was going to look to the collective wisdom of the forum as to thoughts on the purchase. The XFR has 20" rims and Dunlop tires. I haven't shopped around prices - but what do you guys think about the concept of getting the warranty?

Money well spent or a waste?

P.S. In reading the contract, I note that side wall damage is excluded.

Thanks, Andrew

Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pretty much dismiss anything they try to upsell me on knowing that it's usually un-necessary and overpriced. For example, when purchasing my wife's XF a few weeks ago one thing that stands out was the window tinting for $1000 .. my wife and I both laughed knowing that "our guy" that tints all of our cars will do the job with the best 3M tint film for ~$350 ...
Even though I have never had an issue with tires or chips, quick math says you would need 2 or 3 replacements of either tires or rims for that $895 to pay for itself. Even your own experience damaging TWO tires/wheels only cost you $600..

I say, watch out for the potholes, and save your $$.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A new rim from Jaguar to replace a bent rim on the XFR that cannot be fixed costs in excess of $600. The high performance tires can cost nearly $400 each with tax and shipping. An additional cost is that you usually have to replace both sides unless they were relatively new. Happened to me on my 09 S/C. So one rim and one tire will be more than $895. Not sure what they mean about sidewall damage - that's where many pothole blowouts can occur.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

$895 isn't bad. Jerry S. is correct. Tires $400, If 2012 is Nevis rim, even a remanufactured one is probably $350 to $400. This is an oft debated topic on the Bimmerfest forum. There the run-flats are a bigger problem and the insurance from BMW and others is ridculous. I had asked my dealer about it and Jag doesn't provide it, nor did the dealer mess with it. Not sure if your tires have a 12 month warranty from Manufacutrer? I didn't check to see if mine does. If you live in pot hole hell than it may be worth it. Smooth southern roadslike Florida, I'd probably skip it. Dings happen. Window chips are typically covered by your car insurance if you have "full glass" coverage. Had my BMW's window replaced by my insurance company at no cost.

Will the company actually pay at full value. How big a hassle will you get for a claim. Is dealer handling the claims or are you on your own?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My motto - never insure something which you can afford to replace anyway. If you can afford a 2012 XFR, I expect you can afford up to $2k for a wheel incident. I was offered and bought the same insurance when I got my XFR (apparently ignoring my own advice, but there is a story there...) but when I tried to make a claim for sidewall damage, it turned out that it wasn't covered and that the dealer had never activated the insurance anyway! I got my premium back, but I realised that the insurance was worthless regardless.

On the plus side, these wheels are strong. I havent had an incident in 16 months and 12,000 miles. And you will wear the tyres out pretty quick if you are using it properly anyway! ;0)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

dont bother with the insurance, thats my opinion.

you might get lucky and nothing will happen or you might have an issue every week. The important part is to not let the dealer force you into thinking you need it.

ive had 19's on my car for the past few years, low profile tires and i live in the pot hole capitol of the world....knock on wood no issues ever

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I bought it but I talked them down to $550 on the plan. A week later I blew out a tire on the freeway when there was an accident that forced everyone onto the shoulder. The shoulder must have had some metal/glass because the tire was cut on the inner sidewall and had to be replaced. It cost the dealer $500. I have a door ding I'd like to have pulled as well so the plan will be worth it for me. My situation is not normal. I'd say skip it in your case.

I heard that the XF Volan rims dent easily so I went in on the plan expecting to have to repair a rim eventually.