XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head unit

Has anyone upgrade to a new radio in thier XF.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What sort of an upgrade are you aiming for? 1 cd to 6 cd? In any case swapping it out is simple, but you will need a shop to program it for you in order for it to work and your car to know what's going on. Used units are easy to find online, but be aware there are "quite" a few out there and they only work on specific MY cars. If you're looking to upgrade the audio system, for instance base audio to premium you'll be looking at new speakers, amp, wiring etc. and quite a bit of labour. If that's your aim you'll be able to find topics on the subject within this forum through the search.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Default Head unit

Originally Posted by Ki4low23
Has anyone upgrade to a new radio in thier XF.
was looking to replace the stock head unit with a aftermarket radio if this is possible.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Can’t help you with that, it’s very much integrated into all your controls over climate etc., so you’d have to find an aftermarket one that integrates to the MOST system. Don’t think there’s a big enough market for that.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Default Head unit

Dam wish I knew someone who try doing it.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare
Can’t help you with that, it’s very much integrated into all your controls over climate etc., so you’d have to find an aftermarket one that integrates to the MOST system. Don’t think there’s a big enough market for that.
How did you upgrade to integrated Bluetooth?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by jfire
How did you upgrade to integrated Bluetooth?
With a bit of a workaround. I hardwired a bluetooth receiver undernearth the centre console, connected directly to the aux and 12v socket wiring. It powers up whem the car does, connects automatically to my device and works when I select aux as input.

Might sound sloppy, but in fact, compared to a factory system like we have in the LR D4 the only nag I have is not being able to change tracks from the steering wheel. There are two ways to fix that:
1. Go lazy, and buy a bluetooth audio-control-button-thingy, and mount it somewhere. Preferably up front, not in the trunk. Pretty useless there.
2. Go full on nerdgasm, and use the internals of the aforementioned audio-control-thingy to connect up to the signals sent from the steering wheel buttons. It could be done, not saying it’s easy.

Could you get also the song info on the display some way? Short answer is no. Long answer would be perhaps, if you’re a tech god with superior coding abilities and too much time. I don’t know how.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare
With a bit of a workaround. I hardwired a bluetooth receiver undernearth the centre console, connected directly to the aux and 12v socket wiring. It powers up whem the car does, connects automatically to my device and works when I select aux as input.

Might sound sloppy, but in fact, compared to a factory system like we have in the LR D4 the only nag I have is not being able to change tracks from the steering wheel. There are two ways to fix that:
1. Go lazy, and buy a bluetooth audio-control-button-thingy, and mount it somewhere. Preferably up front, not in the trunk. Pretty useless there.
2. Go full on nerdgasm, and use the internals of the aforementioned audio-control-thingy to connect up to the signals sent from the steering wheel buttons. It could be done, not saying it’s easy.

Could you get also the song info on the display some way? Short answer is no. Long answer would be perhaps, if you’re a tech god with superior coding abilities and too much time. I don’t know how.
I've gone down the route of a Bluetooth receiver which I've plugged in to the cubby box aux audio input and 12v, which has a remote control wired in, which I've run slightly lazily round the side of the cubby box and out the top but tucked round the silver fascia panel so I can stick the controls in front on the arm rest for convenience with minimal wires showing. Not being massively comfortably with electrics, or taking the interior apart, I'm happy with this £8 solution! One annoyance however is I can't get Google Assistant to take voice commands through the Bluetooth, which is a completely separate issue.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For Bluetooth get the Bovee, plugs into the port in the center console and their available on Amazon, it automatically connects to your iPhone or android and you can change tracks with your controls.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by wardo5757; 05-30-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:21 AM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Yeah, Bovee works fine.