XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Headlight washers - no, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Headlight washers - no, thank you

Does anyone have any ideas on disabling the automatic headlight washers? I live in Naples, FL and never have the need to wash my headlights.

It never fails where I just spend hours washing the car and then a day later clean the windshield and have those stupid things pop out and spray washer fluid all over the hood of the car, leaving residue all over the front end.

Certainly not the end of the world, but I'd rather do without, thank you very much!

Is there a fuse for them that I could simply pull, or better yet.. an option that I can disable?

Input very much appreciated!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My solution involves a hammer. Serious problem for me in AZ as well and no solution.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I know there is a thread on this, can't remember the title to pull it up. Have you tried searching?

They only kick on when the headlamps are on. I turn them off, clean windshield and back on.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The only time I think these might be useful would be in snow/salt winters and then need the little wipers. I have disabled them on any of the other cars that I have had in the past. On one car, I just pulled the water feed to them and pluged them up. Don't know how to do it on this car though.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I live where headlight washers are essential. The newest high pressure spray washers no longer need wipers. They do mess up the look of the car but then so do the windshield washers so it isn't clear to me why a spotty hood is different from messed up side windows ( a big defect in our location as you can't wash the side windows) and a spotty roof and rear deck.

Leaving your headlights OFF means the headlight washers don't operate.

The other thing you might do is to leave the washer fluid tank mostly empty as the headlight washers don't work if too little fluid is present.

Finally, reconsider whether you need headlight washers. In reality you do need to clean your headlights if your windshield needs cleaning.

In Europe you must have them if xenon headlights are fitted, and only xenon equipped cars were delivered with headlight washers in the US. Our Canadian cars got them standard even with halogen lights. If you have xenons you must use headlight washers or the beam scatter caused by dirt on the lense distracts other drivers. That's why washers are mandatory in Europe when xenon headlights are fitted (headlight aiming levelers are also required).

Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I can only speak for the XK series but JTIS says
The headlamp powerwash system incorporates a telescopic nozzle unit mounted in the lower section of each headlamp. Each nozzle is connected via snap fittings to a powerwash pump mounted above the windshield wash pump on the rear face of the washer fluid reservoir.
so you should be able to pull the pump connector and still have windscreen wash.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for that! I'll take a look when I get a spare second and see if I can spot the headlight pumps and disconnect easily.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
I live where headlight washers are essential. The newest high pressure spray washers no longer need wipers. They do mess up the look of the car but then so do the windshield washers so it isn't clear to me why a spotty hood is different from messed up side windows ( a big defect in our location as you can't wash the side windows) and a spotty roof and rear deck.

Leaving your headlights OFF means the headlight washers don't operate.

The other thing you might do is to leave the washer fluid tank mostly empty as the headlight washers don't work if too little fluid is present.

Finally, reconsider whether you need headlight washers. In reality you do need to clean your headlights if your windshield needs cleaning.

In Europe you must have them if xenon headlights are fitted, and only xenon equipped cars were delivered with headlight washers in the US. Our Canadian cars got them standard even with halogen lights. If you have xenons you must use headlight washers or the beam scatter caused by dirt on the lense distracts other drivers. That's why washers are mandatory in Europe when xenon headlights are fitted (headlight aiming levelers are also required).
I completely understand your need for them where you live. I live in Georgia and they are absolutely not needed. My major concern is that the fluid takes the polish off the paint, even though my car is polished twice a year. In fact I've had my car for about 2 months and it has never even been in the rain yet. I drive my car into my garage, brush it down with a Cal-Car Cover Duster and put a dust cover on it every time unless it is dirty. If it does get dirty, it doesn't stay that way for very long. I have a detailer that come to my home once a month to keep it cleaned up.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 12-21-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I must be missing something. If your car has never seen rain, and is always kept immaculately detailed, why on earth would you use the windshield wipers or washers? And if there was some reason to do so, why not turn off the headlights (if not dark outside) until you were done?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

IIRC, the washers should only kick in when you hold the washer button down for more than a second. If you press it just enough to only activate the windshield wash, this should be the only activation. I believe this info is also provided in the handbook.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

The headlight washers work when the headlights are on and the screen wash button is pressed, even momentarily. However, they only operate every fifth cycle (or maybe 9th cycle).

Old 12-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Try distilled water in the resevoir, to reduce damage from washer fluid. Can't live without them in Northeast. Dirty, muddy snow and rainwater can cut headlight effectiveness to near zero at night.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

It's the methanol anti freeze that takes the wax off. I solve that by never waxing my car. Contrary to urban myth, car paint does not need any protection. If you wax a car you have to keep on waxing it unless you completely remove the wax.

I find the talk about "preserving the natural oils" in the paint particularly amusing. That would presumably be the plastics modern car paint is made from? Paint eventually oxidizes but that can readily be removed and a fresh layer of paint revealed, that is indeed what car polish does. Wax just fills the microscratches for a short period. Ironically, the most common cause of microscratching is polishing incorrectly. The second most common cause is use of automated car washes. Thirdly, incorrect hand washing by using pressure washers causes much of the paint damage you see. Nothing like sandblasting your paintwork with a pressure washer!

I wash my car as infrequently as possible, especially during the winter. The grime actually protects the paint from damage, believe it or not.

Last edited by jagular; 12-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Swimref you are right, but I have only had this car for a few months. It will inevitably see some rain. Probably in the next few days as it is supposed to be raining Christmas where I am going for the Holidays.

To each his own. But to me, there is nothing more beautiful than a freshly polished car. I use Nu-Finish, a polymer polish. I have used it for over 25 years with the best results. Easy on, easy off. I have converted many a professional detailer. Notice how many brand name car wax makers have recently come out with their own polymer polishes.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 12-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, some polymer finishes are advertised as life of the car products, which is sort of true. I owned a SAAB that had been treated with a lifetime polymer paint finish on delivery and I never waxed that car either. The polymer did seem to protect the paint from oxidizing.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default X350 Disable Headlight Washers - Solved

I was able to easily disable the headlight washers on my '11 XJ. I have done with each of my Jags since I live in San Diego where headlight washers are unnecessary and prove to be a nuisance. For the X350 XJ, merely remove the 30A fuse from position F4 in Engine Junction Box. Note that this has no impact on operation of the windshield washers.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

I almost never use the washers. If the windshield is dirty, I keep a supply of microfibers and "Perfect Glass" from Home Depot/Bed Bath and Beyond in the trunk and just clean it by hand. Takes less than a minute to get a perfectly clean windshield throughout without the wiper look.

Even without the headlight washers dirtying the front of the car, the windshield wiper washers get the roof and side windows dirty.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 07-24-2016 at 04:29 PM.