XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Heat Wrap XF SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Heat Wrap XF SC

Hey Guys.

Just had some heat wrap installed on the my TCP Intakes...did while having the Oil changed. Its getting cooler up here so the engine is loving the cold air....will have to wait till Spring/Summer of next year.
Just sharing.

Attached Thumbnails Heat Wrap XF SC-img_2286.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting idea and it would be pretty cheap to do. May be time for me to get intakes so I can do it too.
I'd like to see what the intake temp differential would be. Presumably, the air would be going through there really quickly, so I wonder how much this would help. Maybe when I get mine I'll be able to do a comparison test.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Interesting idea and it would be pretty cheap to do. May be time for me to get intakes so I can do it too.
I'd like to see what the intake temp differential would be. Presumably, the air would be going through there really quickly, so I wonder how much this would help. Maybe when I get mine I'll be able to do a comparison test.
Definitely recommend the Intake(TCP is great ) ...Some of the guys on the Forum have done the research so try a search.....my performance tech and I believe in it...My SC runs so much better with less heat...So thats currently what I am looking to address..Heat soak. Let me know once you do.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Definitely recommend the Intake(TCP is great ) ...Some of the guys on the Forum have done the research so try a search.....my performance tech and I believe in it...My SC runs so much better with less heat...So thats currently what I am looking to address..Heat soak. Let me know once you do.
I'm seriously considering getting the tune and pulley from Eurocharged that you have too. Is an intake something I should do before that or will it matter?

Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm seriously considering getting the tune and pulley from Eurocharged that you have too. Is an intake something I should do before that or will it matter?
Typically you'd want to get all your mods done before you get a tune so you'd want the intake before you get a tune.

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Hey Guys.

Just had some heat wrap installed on the my TCP Intakes...did while having the Oil changed. Its getting cooler up here so the engine is loving the cold air....will have to wait till Spring/Summer of next year.
Just sharing.
I thought you ran tests via the OBD scanner on intake temp and noted that the TCP intake was cooler than stock? I don't think this intake piping is going to cause heat soak issues. Any FI car will love colder temps. The heat in the aluminum piping would only make a difference if it was sitting still. It isn't though it's rushing through it and the air isn't going to be in there long enough to increase in temps. Heat soak is usually only a problem when hot air is pulled in via a open filter in the engine bay. That isn't the case in our cars. Cool external air is pulled in. Upgrading the intecooler or adding meth injection would be better ideas for decreasing temps but it isn't needed until the engine was modded and started putting out more heat.

Run a test with your OBD scanner to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 10-21-2015 at 06:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Typically you'd want to get all your mods done before you get a tune so you'd want the intake before you get a tune.

I thought you ran tests via the OBD scanner on intake temp and noted that the TCP intake was cooler than stock? I don't think this intake piping is going to cause heat soak issues. Any FI car will love colder temps. The heat in the aluminum piping would only make a difference if it was sitting still. It isn't though it's rushing through it and the air isn't going to be in there long enough to increase in temps. Heat soak is usually only a problem when hot air is pulled in via a open filter in the engine bay. That isn't the case in our cars. Cool external air is pulled in. Upgrading the intecooler or adding meth injection would be better ideas for decreasing temps but it isn't needed until the engine was modded and started putting out more heat.

Run a test with your OBD scanner to see if it makes a difference.
Wasnt me who ran some tests..but someone did the research and posted.......and yes I think the gains , if any were minimal on their results... I have a simple scanner not sure if it can pulls some temps.but i'll check .I dont think ours pulls in enough cold air and agree I am currently looking at upgrading the intercooler or adding another Heat exchanger....not sure about you but mine is night and day when the temp changes even slightly. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Blackcoog is dead on...you want to do all your mods first if possible then have the tune...I did my TCP Intake after and loved the results...much smoother pedal response and some sound difference....

Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

If you're getting a canned Eurocharged tune, I don't think it will matter much whether you do it before or after. I did my TCP after the custom tune, and wish I had done it before, but I believe the ECU will compensate for small changes in hardware enough that it isn't necessary. Now if you were doing a "rolling road" custom tune, it's definitely best to do all mods first.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Will I notice any difference before the tune or will the ECU adapt to hide it?

Old 10-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe the ECU will hide it. The ECU will just maintain the parameters it's programmed to keep. So with more air it should add more fuel to keep the AFR at the programmed range.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Just a thought but on the S Type forum several STR guys found out the intercooler pump was not working and their car's would get into heat soak very quickly.

Since you noticed such a big difference it might be worthwhile to at least check if the intercooler pump is running?

I can check mine by holding onto the pump and have a second person turn the key on. As far as I can figure out that pumps runs as long as the key is on. So it gets a bunch of hours on it. You can hear it to but there is always other noises going on so I had to put my hand on it to make sure.

Gpalace (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Mine stopped working a while back and would put me into Restricted Performance after just a few hard runs. It would also allow the heat to reduce output before it went into restricted mode. It will throw a code as well.

Got it replaced and hp and torque went up and doesn't drop off even after multiple dyno runs.

Gpalace (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Just a thought but on the S Type forum several STR guys found out the intercooler pump was not working and their car's would get into heat soak very quickly.

Since you noticed such a big difference it might be worthwhile to at least check if the intercooler pump is running?

I can check mine by holding onto the pump and have a second person turn the key on. As far as I can figure out that pumps runs as long as the key is on. So it gets a bunch of hours on it. You can hear it to but there is always other noises going on so I had to put my hand on it to make sure.
Thanks Tbird....thats a good idea!Where are they located on our XF's?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6

On a 4.2L the I/C pump runs with the ignition, you can also check if it's working by pinching the hoses on the chargecoolers, you can feel the flow through the hoses.

I have the Bosch 010 pump on mine, the flow is quite strong you can really feel it.

You can also try the "pinch test" on the 5.0L but be careful as the I/C pump on the 5.0L only kicks in under certain conditions; engine running and coolant temp over a certain point, IAT2 over a certain point. On a properly warmed up / hot engine you should be able to feel the flow through the hoses with the engine running.

Gpalace (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
On a 4.2L the I/C pump runs with the ignition, you can also check if it's working by pinching the hoses on the chargecoolers, you can feel the flow through the hoses.

I have the Bosch 010 pump on mine, the flow is quite strong you can really feel it.

You can also try the "pinch test" on the 5.0L but be careful as the I/C pump on the 5.0L only kicks in under certain conditions; engine running and coolant temp over a certain point, IAT2 over a certain point. On a properly warmed up / hot engine you should be able to feel the flow through the hoses with the engine running.
Is the Bosch 010 pump considered a upgrade over the stock pump?

Old 10-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Is the Bosch 010 pump considered a upgrade over the stock pump?
Yes

Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM

In your opinion ...what be the best option....to uograde to the Bosch 010 or add an additional I/C to the exisiting system?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Changing the pump is relatively easy. So that would be my answer.

Changing the heat exchanger radiator to a larger or somehow more efficient one is not so straight forward. The space is very restricted compared to the older cars where there are aftermarket heat exchangers available.

Gpalace (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 PM

Changing the pump is relatively easy. So that would be my answer.

Changing the heat exchanger radiator to a larger or somehow more efficient one is not so straight forward. The space is very restricted compared to the older cars where there are aftermarket heat exchangers available.
To clarify, you're talking about this one that ends in 010, right?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:04 PM

To clarify, you're talking about this one that ends in 010, right?
The last three digits of the Bosch p/n end in 010.

0392 022 010

n8ertot (10-22-2015)