XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Heated steering wheel adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated steering wheel adjustment

On the 2013 XF AWD, any idea if the temp of the heated steering can be turned down. It's way too hot even for a Midwest winter.
I think on my 07 XK there are 3 settings (from memory as it's in storage). On the XF it's either on or off!
Any ideas, thanks

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It's either on or off on my 2012 XFR. But I don't find it too hot even though I am located in Southern California. Andrew

Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2013 it is only on or off... some days it is perfect other days it does seem too hot... kind of like the seat heaters.... I call it personality, after owning British vehicles for right at 14 years, you get get used to little oddities.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

2011 XF SC and 2012 XKR-S on or off. I just consider it to warm up the wheel and then turn it off.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 PM

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought. Wonder if the dealership has away to adjust it?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

You may want to ask the dealership. I assumed it would have a thermostat like the seats to control/regulate the temperature. I've left mine on my 2010 XF for a while and it gets comfortably warm but never too hot. Worth asking them to check.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joey4420
On my 2013 it is only on or off... some days it is perfect other days it does seem too hot... kind of like the seat heaters.... I call it personality, after owning British vehicles for right at 14 years, you get get used to little oddities.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate the fact that people accept the "oddities" excuse. A vehicle needs to deal with street and highway stress and also should be fairly reliable when you need it to be. The workmanship should be there through all phases of vehicle construction. It seems that Jaguar needs to do some *** kicking in their assembly plants. I love these cars, but they are not up to snuff when it comes to reliability. Obviously, Jaguar does not have the same philosophy as other major car companies in regards to keeping their customer base. I am new to the brand, and so far I would be hard pressed to confidently purchase another. The much maligned X-Type has been the most reliable vehicle I have had in years, but the newer XF is hard to keep on the road for longer than a few months at a time. We recently added a '05 VDP to chauffeur our son around in and it has been down more than it has been running. Granted, it is already almost nine years old, but some of the issues we have had on it should not be happening on a car with less than 60k on the odometer The dealerships charge ludicrous labor fees. Extended warranties are a must with these cars (as they are with all luxury cars) since the repair bill can easily outweigh the value of the car. OK just had to get that off my chest since i had to ride the rail and bus system today instead of taking my Jag

Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

It's only on or off, but if anything it's not particularly hot even for SF Bay Area California where it never ever snows. But... if you really want to make it less hot, I guess you can pop the steering column wiring harness and figure out which wire is the wheel heater. It's the one that get's voltage when you hit the steering wheel heater button on the HVAC screen. Then you add an inline resistor to it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I kind of look at the heated steering wheel like I look at heated seats. I keep them on until my butt or hands get warm and then turn them off. Otherwise they roast me!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I must say I have expierenced temperature variations. Sometimes it is too hot and I turn it off rather quickly and sometimes it is not and I forget that it is on and leave it.

Last edited by Schwabe; 02-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

There must be some kind of temp control because in mild weather it just gets comfy warm while in -10C or colder it gets really hot until cabin temp comes up. Although not really too hot at any time I prefer it to stay around 20C so I turn the heater off when the wheel is nice and warm.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 PM

Hey,
I drove the XF. for a a few hours in total this afternoon/evening, running the kids around etc. I don't usually get to drive it for more than a few miles.......I did buy it for the wife after all.
I think I might Have discovered the steering wheel temp is linked to the seat temp. i.e. If you have the seat temp set at max, the wheel is hot, hot hot! As you warm up and turn the seat down, so goes the wheel temp.
Or is this none synchronized body area, hot flush,male menopause.......or NSBAHFM syndrome.
You wait they'll be a TV drug advert soon for this condition.
And the rider will say:
Can cause "cold flushes"
Suicidal thoughts
Memory loss
Forgetfulness
Strange dreams
Sleeplessness
Death
Depression
Elation
Irregular heart beat
Fainting
Unexpected bleeding and bruising
Sounds like a Saturday night out when I was 30 years younger.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Per
There must be some kind of temp control because in mild weather it just gets comfy warm while in -10C or colder it gets really hot until cabin temp comes up. Although not really too hot at any time I prefer it to stay around 20C so I turn the heater off when the wheel is nice and warm.
U sound like a dumb blonde.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Default You know...

Im soo😔😔 sorry I said that...

Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Per

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Im soo😔😔 sorry I said that...
It takes one to know one.
Apart from that, the point that seem to have escaped you was that the steering wheel heat is not a straight on / off function with a fixed power output. Whether it is linked to cabin temp, seat heater setting or a thermostat in the wheel rim remains to be concluded.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One would think Jag would have designed the heated steering wheel so the temp adjusted right along with the adjustable heated seat temp. The owner's handbook doesn't address whether this is the case.

Joey, I note from the pic of your car that it appears to be satellite grey with the sport pack. Did you buy it from JLR Cincy a few months ago?

Last edited by JagJonz; 02-08-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Per

Although -4C in the early morning it was. zero by the time I went out. Turned the wheel heating on but not thr seat. It felt like it heated the wheel just as quickly as if I hsd started with seat heating on full tilt. I lean toward a thermostat embedded in the wheel rim.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Yep,
I thought about that this morning......
The fact that the wheel can be switched on without the driver seat heat, kind of blows my theory of the two been tied together. Perhaps it is, as you say, a thermo' in the wheel, and that might explain the variations we seem to have with people's experiences.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JagJonz
One would think Jag would have designed the heated steering wheel so the temp adjusted right along with the adjustable heated seat temp. The owner's handbook doesn't address whether this is the case.

Joey, I note from the pic of your car that it appears to be satellite grey with the sport pack. Did you buy it from JLR Cincy a few months ago?
Yep Bought it for JLR Cincy.... great people and I love my car. My Second Jag and I have had a few Land Rovers.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep Bought it for JLR Cincy.... great people and I love my car. My Second Jag and I have had a few Land Rovers.
I thought so. I made them an offer on your car back in October but I wanted different wheels and we couldn't get together on a price for changing out the wheels. I ended up buying a portfolio ed. XF, mainly because I'm a sucker for the London tan interior. Still, for me, seeing the pic of your car was sorta like seeing a pic of the girl who got away, although I'm happy with the one I got. When it comes to car shopping, I guess it's hard not to want my cake and eat it too! Regardless, you got a beautiful car and a great deal, I'm sure, congrats!