XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

My name is Ashle , I have recently bought a used 2009 Jaguar XF, I completely love my luxury vehicle . Unfortunately , last month I was driving an my overheating light came on luckily I was close to home an it cut right off. Assuming I just needed antifreeze I put some in, a few days later the light came back on coming from work so I kept driving for about a block then a red light came on saying that engine was overheated, I assumed since I was close to home o could make it so as I was pulling up to the light to turn something burst from under hood immediately I pulled over an it was my radiator hose smh , I paid 450 for a radiator to be replaced the next day I drove to work assuming all was fine when the overheating light came back on . The mechanic told me to get the housing thermostat fixed immediately in the long run I got the radiator , housing thermostat & upper radiator hose fixed . Again driving to work today the light comes on but when I look under the hood the hoses are squeezed together as if no area is ventilating between them , at this point I don’t know what else could be I’m hoping it’s not a gasket going out because I have already put 1000 dollars into my car an only had it 90days

Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Ashle,
Check the following before even considering starting the car again.

1. Check under the car to see if there is any evidence of water/coolant on the ground or leaking from around the front splash guard and engine belly pan - remember that the coolant is typically yellow or orange in colour. Check the engine bay as well.
2. Check the coolant expansion bottle in the engine bay to see if there is any coolant in it - you should be able to see it through the wall of the bottle.
3. Compressed flexible hoses would indicate that all the coolant, and any residual air, has been pumped out of the engine. When the engine is thoroughly cold loosen the top of the expansion tank - that will at least eliminate the vacuum and let the hoses expand back to their proper shape - all the hose connections will need to be checked to make sure they are not damaged or have not been unseated. Make sure all these connections are good.
4. If you found evidence of coolant/water under the car or can see such evidence in the engine bay your problem may simply be a busted hose.
5. If you DID NOT find evidence of coolant/water under the car or in the engine bay take the dip stick out, clean it and put it back. Take the dipstick out again and check to see whether the oil level is far too high or if theres any evidence of coolant on the stick. Note - the coolant systems takes around 7-8 litres - and if the coolants not on the ground or in the engine bay some of it may be in the oil sump. If the oil level is too high or if theres any evidence of water get the car to a mechanic asap and definitely DO NOT START the engine.

Hopefully you will find its just a busted hose or perhaps even a damaged radiator element but given the vacuum in the hoses that seems doubtful to me.

Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Cubist