XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Help... Aux 12V power and Cup 12V cigar plugs not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Help... Aux 12V power and Cup 12V cigar plugs not working

Hi,

I have a 2010 XF 5.0L Portfolio. My wife drives it and I'm just the maintenance guy but lately I have run into an issue that has me dumb founded.

The cup holder spring broke on the original unit so when I was looking for another one, I found the 12V plug unit for the single cup at top of console so I added it into the console as well as the new double holder. Not thinking to test it but thought all was fine when the light glowed, I assembled it all together.

Now here is the problem, I used the original wire plug located under the cup holder to plug in the cigar port and all seemed fine as mentioned before it glowed with the lights on but now wanting to add a phone charger I find it is not working. I checked F22 fuse location under hood for cigar lighter and the fuse is good, the power is 12V though the fuse at all times but there is no power to the cigar lighter at the green wire in the console. I have tried with the switch on, engine running or all off and nothing. Is there something I missed in SDD that I have to activate for this to work?

The icing on the cake is the 12V in the console with the Ipod, aux and usb port doesn't seem to work either. I have power out of the USB but no 12V from the aux power. I checked the F28 aux power fuse under passenger side panel and the fuse is fine but again no 12V. Tried with all off, power on and vehicle running.

I'm at the "Sledge hammer might fix" ideology right now... please help as I'm a little frustrated at this one.

Thanks

Kevin

***** Update********

I solved the Cigar lighter problem, I didn't realize there was a need for a relay in position number 9 under the hood. This is now good but still having issues with the console 12V.
KK

************UPDATE***************

After a bit of banging at the passenger side fuse panel, I noticed a flash so I took the molding off, removed the panel and found that the connection was loose. Fixed and now working good. Maybe sometimes the best help is a little venting.

P.S. Thanks for all the posts that lead me to the final fixes, if it wasn't for this forum, I would still be scratching my head.

Last edited by kkurulak; 10-28-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Found answer to the 2 problems
Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the prob with the cigar lighter not working - the rear and console 12 plugs work. Changed the F22 fuse under the hood but still NG. So will check for the relay tomorrow. Was the relay faulty or just missing? My cigar lighter was working until a few months ago so I assume relay should be there if that's the issue.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Hi nsl1,

I added the front cigar lighter so my car did not have the relay fuse installed, just an empty socket.
Question: does your lighter glow when the lights are on? The first time I was working on mine, I noticed the glow light was not on and found the connection to be loose and not completely clipped in, on my second time taking apart the console, I only then realized there was two circuits going to it and after looking through the wiring diagrams did I find the relay position but no rely, I had a 4 pin relay around so when I plugged it in, the cigar lighter worked again.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Checked the fusebox and no relay in the R9 spot. Lighter light does come on when lights are turned on. Socket is dead. May need to replace or look for a loose connector. Will have to try and take apart the console to get at it one of these days.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Did you check by taking a relay from RLY2 (Horn) and placing it in RLY9 (Cigar Lighter)? (It is a much easier and quicker way to tell versus pulling apart the console.

Have you had the car serviced or checked somewhere that allowed them to remove of RLY9?

If it was working before and now you do not have a relay in the RLY9 position, it sounds like it was removed to possible fix another location. I have had instances where I took my car to a shop and they swapped fuses and relays because they didn't have the right ones on hand but still billed for a replacement. (These were little side shops and not dealerships, at least with my experiences anyway)

Cigar Lighter relay and horn relay