XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

help with exhaust choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default help with exhaust choice

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2010 jaguar xfr and I did not know that it came with a Corsa exhaust. So I removed all the resonators and had the dealer put a MagnaFlow on both sides. However, it is not that much louder than stock. And I don't understand why I used to have them on my V8 charger and it sounded amazing. Can anyone give me an idea of what I can exchange those mufflers for that would make the car louder and deep in throat e I don't understand how I 500 horsepower car cannot sound incredible with an x-pipe and to MagnaFlow those. I don't know. Maybe it's a different set up with the engine. Compared to an American V8. I'm not sure someone educate me on this because I'm baffled.

The following users liked this post:
Austin Lewis (07-23-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

It should be plenty loud with that set-up, unless somehow you got the wrong type of Magnaflow mufflers.
I put custom made fairly small straight through mufflers and an H-pipe (but kept the central resonator) on my 2010 XFR and it was plenty loud.
Nice burble at idle and cruise and a deep US muscle car type roar at WOT, sounded fantastic.
BUT, at around 1/3 to 1/2 throttle such as going up a long steepish hill the drone was 'orrible!
One day I sat in the back seat while SWMBO drove (very sedately) and the sound quality was horrific, pretty much unbearable, so a couple of days later I put the stock rear mufflers back on. Much quieter of course but no more drone.
Double check that you had straight through mufflers fitted and not "tri-flow", and that they are fairly small, say 14" x 6".

Old 02-14-2020, 01:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default magnaflow drama

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It should be plenty loud with that set-up, unless somehow you got the wrong type of Magnaflow mufflers.
I put custom made fairly small straight through mufflers and an H-pipe (but kept the central resonator) on my 2010 XFR and it was plenty loud.
Nice burble at idle and cruise and a deep US muscle car type roar at WOT, sounded fantastic.
BUT, at around 1/3 to 1/2 throttle such as going up a long steepish hill the drone was 'orrible!
One day I sat in the back seat while SWMBO drove (very sedately) and the sound quality was horrific, pretty much unbearable, so a couple of days later I put the stock rear mufflers back on. Much quieter of course but no more drone.
Double check that you had straight through mufflers fitted and not "tri-flow", and that they are fairly small, say 14" x 6".
But when I went to this place that I have been to before the guy told me that these were the Mufflers that they would put on they are quite large single in single out in the back. I don't know if it's tri-flow, but I will go back tomorrow and talk to him. I'm sure he won't give me a refund. I will probably have to buy different Mufflers off of him to get single flow through. I could try to send you a picture, but I don't know how to do it through the thread but I'm pretty sure you know what Muffler I'm talking about. It's pretty large and square. He had a tilt them sideways to fit.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2010 xfr and had the center section removed with a x pipe installed and a mina gallery axle back. I am a v8 gm guy before this and understand ur wondering where the noise is. I did for the sake of exploration start my car with the axle backs off as I changed them, it sounded like a race car brutely loud. I think oz is on to something. I think with a super sedan you want something with a rumble not crazy loud, just my 2 cents

Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Enzo Valetti
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2010 jaguar xfr and I did not know that it came with a Corsa exhaust. So I removed all the resonators and had the dealer put a MagnaFlow on both sides. However, it is not that much louder than stock. And I don't understand why I used to have them on my V8 charger and it sounded amazing. Can anyone give me an idea of what I can exchange those mufflers for that would make the car louder and deep in throat e I don't understand how I 500 horsepower car cannot sound incredible with an x-pipe and to MagnaFlow those. I don't know. Maybe it's a different set up with the engine. Compared to an American V8. I'm not sure someone educate me on this because I'm baffled.
have your shop remove the back box mufflers altogether (takes 15 minutes once up on a lift) and you'll experience the full sound this engine makes - you'll be jaw dropped. a FAR cry from stock. it's then up to you if you want the slightly louder tone the aftermarket exhausts can provide or if you want to hear it all with some electric cutouts or a straight through pipe design of some sort.
it takes less than 10 minutes to be pulled over with the backboxes removed..

Old 02-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I went through a bit of a quest to find the right sound myself.

-First, I removed the two center resonators and put in an xpipe. No discernible change in volume or sound.
-Then I lost my mind and chopped off the stock mufflers and straight-piped it. TERRIBLE IDEA. Wayyy too loud and wayyyyy too much drone.
-Next, I put in Borla Pro XS 14" mufflers. Very nice sound but a bit too much drone for my tastes.
-Finally, I put a Totalflow 14" dual resonated muffler right behind the xpipe and before the Borlas. PERFECT. The sound and volume of the Borlas with zero drone.

I'll be putting in 400 cell cats soon and so I'm a bit worried that they might somehow ruin the now-perfect sound. We'll see.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:23 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

DId you plumb the x-pipe into the dual inlets? 14 " and 2.75 pipes the right size?

Old 02-19-2020, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
DId you plumb the x-pipe into the dual inlets? 14 " and 2.75 pipes the right size?
Yes its in the same location as the first stock resonator, just after the pipes come together post-cats. I think the pipes are actually 2.25," maybe 2.5."

Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

great thanks, may be an inexpensive way to switch out the exhaust