XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Help!! Major engine hesitation problems when accelerating!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022 | 04:43 AM
|
Default Help!! Major engine hesitation problems when accelerating!!

Hey guys I have a 2010 XF Supercharged and today on my way to work I noticed major engine hesitation when accelerating around 30-40mph didn’t notice anything on the highway. And now just to get to work I had to use the paddle shifters to keep the rpm’s high enough so it didn’t stall out. I’m hoping it’s something easy like cleaning the MAF? I hoping I don’t have to replace a fuel injector or something. After I get off work I still have an 1 hr drive home, not sure if it’s safe enough to do so? I do have K&N air filters I put on last year so maybe the oil coated the MAF sensor? Sorry I’m just freaking out and trying to figure out how to get home. I haven’t really noticed any hesitation like this before and if it helps it is also very cold today here 9 degrees fahrenheit not sure if the weather plays into this affect.

Old 01-27-2022 | 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Did your engine management light come on? Really you're going to need to pull codes from it to know what's going on, but in the meantime before you drive you could check for any air leaks between the MAFs and the throttle body - so the solid breather pipe that connects on the driver's side of the intake, or the supercharger vacuum connection on the passenger side. In my experience air leaks here usually cause "kangarooing" rather than hesitation, but it's something you can easily check to spot any obvious issues.

Beyond that, cleaning the MAFs can't do any harm - Autozone/O'Reillys should sell dedicated Air Flow Sensor cleaner, and they will often let you borrow a code reader if you don't have one.

Old 01-27-2022 | 01:14 PM
|

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Did your engine management light come on? Really you're going to need to pull codes from it to know what's going on, but in the meantime before you drive you could check for any air leaks between the MAFs and the throttle body - so the solid breather pipe that connects on the driver's side of the intake, or the supercharger vacuum connection on the passenger side. In my experience air leaks here usually cause "kangarooing" rather than hesitation, but it's something you can easily check to spot any obvious issues.

Beyond that, cleaning the MAFs can't do any harm - Autozone/O'Reillys should sell dedicated Air Flow Sensor cleaner, and they will often let you borrow a code reader if you don't have one.

No, no lights came on. Weird thing is on my lunch break I went to advanced auto and it’s now warmer 29 degrees and it’s didn’t hesitate anymore but anyways I cleaned the MAF on both sides didn’t see any leaks and it’s seems fine for now. It was just weird it only did it once I got off the highway to the rest of work I had to keep the rpm’s high. Maybe some bad gas? I just filled it up completely using Kirkland Costco gas and never had a problem before with theirs. Idk maybe something else guess I’ll just have to keep my eye on it.

Old 01-27-2022 | 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think bad gas is really a thing any more?

Even if engine light didn't come on it probably logged some codes. Get a code reader and pull off the codes then post up here. That should help the group come up with ideas

Old 01-27-2022 | 10:08 PM

Either fuel pump on the way out or plugged cats, might not see codes for either since it will be intermittent at the outset of the problem.

Old 01-29-2022 | 08:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Either fuel pump on the way out or plugged cats, might not see codes for either since it will be intermittent at the outset of the problem.
is that a common issue with these cars? I have 133k miles on mine