XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Help me choose - 2010 vs 2011 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose - 2010 vs 2011 XFR

I am trying to decide between a 2010 XFR with 15,000 miles and a 2011 XFR with 23,000 miles. Same colors, same wheels and options (none), both allegedly never seen snow (southwest cars). Carfaxs clean on both, both one owner. I'm assuming (pending inspection) that both are roughly equal in condition (both are described as blemish free).

So, would you pay more for the 2011 despite the higher miles given the 5 year warranty and free maintenance? If so, how much more?. Asking on 2010 is 57K and 61K on the 2011 - actual price remains to be seen although the 2011 guy seems more flexible. If they get to same price, is the 2011 a no-brainer? The problem is, the 20K mark is a psychological barrier for me but maybe I'm being stupid.

Fire away

Thanks

Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the mileage difference so much. How long do you intend to keep it? If the extra warranty on the 2011 is important then it could be worth the extra. But the 2010 has eaten a little more depreciation - probably not enough more to be significant. I paid $61k for my 2011 with 4k miles about 5 weeks ago, so you might expect to get a little off the 2011. But all the 2010 ones here were up at the same price as my 2011 sold for, so I doubt you will get much off that $57k. I would check both out and see what quality issues they both might have (and they will have them, i am sure) and go from there. Either is a good deal.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply - and I know to be wary - I just dropped a deal once I found out it was a buyback.

BTW, I am looking at another 2010 in Houston but its chipped and otherwise modded which has me a bit nervous. Any reaction to buying a modded car?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Say no to modded cars! At least one that is modded by someone else. If I were you, and if both cars have the extended warranty, I would go for 2010. That was the "original" XFR which retained the awesome chrome grill and has 3 cup holders. Unless, you want a black XFR, the black grill doesn't make sense to me because it cheapens the look of the car.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deaddog
BTW, I am looking at another 2010 in Houston but its chipped and otherwise modded which has me a bit nervous. Any reaction to buying a modded car?
I never buy new and always buy at least two years old because it seems the first two years are when a vehicle depreciates most... My financial advisor once said; the worst investment you can ever make is to buy a brand new car. With that said your question about buying a modded car... Any used car purchase for me is treated like I would be interviewing for a new employee. I don't pay much attention to the car until I get a feel for the seller... this means his living situation (if the guy/gal has a cluttered yard, house in need of obvious repairs etc), how he/she is dressed, how they look at you (in the eyes, fidgety, cocky, arrogant etc...). Once I can establish that the individual cares for him/herself and his/her family then it's time to look at the vehicle.
I bought a modded Cadillac CTS-V from a guy who sorry to say was going through a divorce...(car may have been a root cause but someones loss is truly anothers gain). I could tell by how careful he was bringing the car out of his garage and how much of an inconvenience it was for him to have the car in the garage in the first place (this showed me he cared for the car a great deal... his 4 year old daughter gave that away when she proclaimed he relief about how much easier it would be to get into the house from the garage and more room to play... lol). Point is, we can learn a lot from observing body language and other subtleties of a potential seller... a car can look beautiful on the outside without mods and still be beat to sh*t...

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by deaddog
I discussed this car with the dealer, it is the same place I bought mine. I was told that the car had been inspected by a tech from Jaguar and he said all the mods were OK except that the pulley had been lowered and he recommended that they reset it because it was causing an imbalance. This was the only mod that would affect the warranty but since Jag know the history, I would be wary. It is apparently a monster of a car though and is now a bit if a bargain.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I would go for 2010. That was the "original" XFR which retained the awesome chrome grill and has 3 cup holders. Unless, you want a black XFR, the black grill doesn't make sense to me because it cheapens the look of the car.
OH NO!!!! 3 cup holders? I never realized... I passed on a 10 for my 11... what have I done???!!!

Seriously, I just realized, the 11 will have the maintenance package and the 10 won't. This makes the price difference negligible.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

I never really figured out how two people could need three cupholders.....

Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, a lot of wise guys driving XF's....each of the 3 cupholders are a different size and depth. As such, you have a much better chance of having your drink fit. You could mock it, but I'm telling you it is really convenient. I got Y connector to give me a second power port so I'm not at a loss and I can drink my super-size soda....

Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

The exception to the 2 yr old car bargain is the situation where you keep the new car for 10 years or more. Then the initial depreciation is irrelevant. All cars catch up eventually. The best time to buy a BMW or Audi price wise is at 4-5 years, depending on the warranty left. The prices dip when the warranty expires......

If you think repairing a 5 year old or older car is expensive then you have been fooled by the motor industry. There is no difference in useability between a new car and a five year old car and the repair costs are far lower than the depreciation and carrying costs of a new car.

More and more people are figuring this out and the demand for cars is dropping accordingly.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
The exception to the 2 yr old car bargain is the situation where you keep the new car for 10 years or more. Then the initial depreciation is irrelevant. All cars catch up eventually. The best time to buy a BMW or Audi price wise is at 4-5 years, depending on the warranty left. The prices dip when the warranty expires......

If you think repairing a 5 year old or older car is expensive then you have been fooled by the motor industry. There is no difference in useability between a new car and a five year old car and the repair costs are far lower than the depreciation and carrying costs of a new car.

More and more people are figuring this out and the demand for cars is dropping accordingly.
I don't agree that repairing an old car is cheaper than repairing a new car. Hourly rates are the same and then there's the problem of getting the old car parts. Used to be that manufacturers were required to make parts for cars up to 10 years old but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM

I have driven the 2010 modded XFR at Jaguar Central, I am seriously considering purchasing it if they get the warranty unflagged from Jaguar. (Yes the Warranty is flagged ).