XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Help me journey into the jaguar world!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me journey into the jaguar world!

Hello everyone.

I'm currently on the journey of researching, scouting and finding a new car come this may or June. I've looked across many forums, commercials, magazines, or just about anything to expand my options. I finally narrows it down to a few options; a few cars that I really would like to get into knowing more.

Anyway, lame backstory aside, I have a few questions for XF owners, and it'll be great if you can help me answer!

1. Reliability : I know jaguar has a somewhat tarnished name in the past for very tedious and expensive maintenance. Just wondering if the newer models have improved

2. Turbo 2.0 vs 3.0 : I want to keep the price less than 35k, so the turbo would probably be the more probable route. However, is it worth it? Is the turbo engine enough to make me smile if I push on that gas pedal?

3. Aftermarket : There doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket parts, like CAI or tuners, larger throttle body ...

I really love the jaguar design. I also love big cats; I wear pumas whenever I can! Currently I have a Chrysler 300 2013, with a V6 engine and not much performance aftermarket parts except for 20" perform wheels. It's a good car, but it just feels like a Michael Jordon past his prime; power is there but... you get the idea....

Wish to hear your comments and suggestions!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Hi - welcome to the forum. Couple of pointers will help us - what country are you in and what currency for 35k? I'm assuming USA
And what's your tolerance for age/mileage? I assume you are looking at used models of some age range?

My bias - if you are even thinking about aftermarket options and tunes then go for the V6. More power and refined. Still not a lot of mod options but I think you will find the 4-cyl weak. Test drive them to see. I would even consider an older model to get the V8 which is wonderful.

Reliability is in my view good. A few known niggles but true of any car. Dealer repairs are expensive - Indy can be more reasonable. Parts definitely pricey - comparable to BMW, Merc etc. in my mind every bit as reliable as them

35k dollars should be able to get you a great car. Look for a CPO warranty for peace of mind - extends to about 6 years or 100k from new. Only a couple of thousand dollars or so. Will smooth out the risk of a more serious repair

Good luck. Let us know how you get on

Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help

Okay thanks for the reply. Yeah I live in the USA, so the jaguars are a pretty unique sight on the road. I'll definitely consider the v6, sounds like such a beware, literally.