XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
FYI..... you're coming across in your posts as quite the bitch.....guy just lost his car....
Some just can't help it..

The following 2 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
Gpalace (10-20-2016), MarkN (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

FYI..... you're coming across in your posts as quite the bitch.....guy just lost his car....
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to point out that it's incredibly negligent to drive a car 2 miles after it starts making a horrible mechanical noise in the engine, the idiots lights come on like a christmas tree, it stalls, and runs terribly!

It's just hard to have sympathy over someone losing their car like that. It would kinda be like rolling a car off a 1000ft cliff on purpose and then we're supposed to sympathize with the owner's loss.

But I will try to be more sympathetic and sensitive in general, because it's something I need to do to be a better person. By the way, these cars look terrible with aftermarket pimp wheels like the ones in you signature pic -- I am just glad that's not your car, right?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Are you saying the advanced system that makes it so easy to check the oil level electronically is not able to make a dash light come on when the engine oil level is low
That is, in fact, exactly what it is I am saying.

The electronic check system for oil level in the X250's has a bit of a flaw. The digital gauge has a few different readouts:

Here we go again...-lpwj7qi.jpg

A Oil level is between 50% and 100% of recommended level. No top-up required.
B Oil level is between 12.5% and 50% percent of recommended level. Add 0.5 liter (0.53 US quart) of oil.
C Oil level is between 0% and 12.5% of recommended level. Add 1 liter (1.06 US quarts) of oil.
D Oil level is above maximum for safe operation. Reduce oil level to recommended level.
E Oil level is below minimum for safe operation. Add 1.5 liters (1.59 US quarts) of oil, then recheck level.
F Oil level is stabilizing. Wait 10 minutes and then recheck level. If this display is accompanied by the message ENGINE
OIL LEVEL MONITOR SYSTEM FAULT, a fault with the oil level monitoring system is indicated."

--------------------------------------------------

If you'll refer to the graphic labeled E, you'll see there is a readout that indicates an oil level below a threshold of safe operation. Unfortunately, there is no warning light that will illuminate when the vehicle has a low engine oil condition. In my vehicle, I have had this readout and adding one quart made no change to the reading. After adding a second quart, the readout said Level OK but the bar was only half full. After driving around for a while and letting the vehicle settle for ten minutes, I checked again and the bar was still only at half. Adding another 1/4 quart brought my level up to full.

The only warning light that would appear on the dashboard relating to an oil situation is the center screen saying "Low Oil Pressure". In Mark's situation, his oil pressure levels could have been fine but the remaining amount of oil was not enough to provide ample lubrication.

As I said in my last post, the only way Mark could have known his engine oil levels were low was by using the check system each and every time he was in the vehicle. Unfortunately, our services intervals are recommended for every 15,000 miles which may lead some consumers to believe everything will be okay during that interval.

In the end, vehicle maintenance is up to the owner. However, I do believe that programming within the vehicles are not comprehensive enough to let a consumer know when there is a critical issue. Ideally, the oil level check system should activate by itself with each power cycle. If the system then detected a need for an oil top off, a warning message should pop up in the center of the dash notifying the driver.

Again, unfortunately that's not how the system works and now we have a forum member dealing with a terrible situation.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I have opened a case with Jaguar Corporate and they were very helpful - but made it clear no promises. I am having it towed to my local Jag dealer, that normally services it, as the process requires a certified Jag dealer / service shop to diagnose.

So, I'll spend a few more hundred on towing and diagnosis hoping the process helps me in some fashion. I am sure I will also owe the current shop for their time.

As for driving it home 2 miles - maybe I exaggerated how badly it sounded and drove. Maybe I shouldn't have driven it - but my hunch is whatever it is - it WAS at that time and it's no different now. Quite honestly, when I had to replace the injector bank in June - I drove it and it was worse....from NJ to CT (over 100 miles) in limp home mode (restricted performance). This time was the same - and I believe that's what restricted performance is for?

I don't get my cars towed every time there's a noise - especially when SO close to home.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM

PS - The shop where it's at currently said there's plenty of oil and everything seems lubricated. Jag dealer checked his records and said last oil change was around 7500 miles ago. I have NEVER had issues of needed to add oil, ever (that I am aware - maybe I needed it and didn't know). It's in the shop more than I care to admit and never once was I told "we had to add oil".

Old 10-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to point out that it's incredibly negligent to drive a car 2 miles after it starts making a horrible mechanical noise in the engine, the idiots lights come on like a christmas tree, it stalls, and runs terribly!

It's just hard to have sympathy over someone losing their car like that. It would kinda be like rolling a car off a 1000ft cliff on purpose and then we're supposed to sympathize with the owner's loss.

But I will try to be more sympathetic and sensitive in general, because it's something I need to do to be a better person. By the way, these cars look terrible with aftermarket pimp wheels like the ones in you signature pic -- I am just glad that's not your car, right?
As the saying goes, "Opinions are just like Azz h*les, everybody got one". But only a few truly live up to the standard, like ya self lotus???

Anyways Mark please keep us informed as your experience will surly enlighten us all friend.

The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (10-20-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I think I saw an engine being tortured by losing oil on some pseudo science TV show and it was a noise pretty hard to ignore, so if you didn't have to shout over the top of it to be heard Mark, only you will know ;-) Hopefully the Man From Jaguar will be able to autopsy the remains in more detail. I'd always heard the V8 in these was pretty solid so I hope that continues to be the case and with a documented service history, you get taken care of.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

in horse shoes, my comment to you would be called a ringer ; ) ... not sure about the "pimp" wheels...after market yes.. .my first observation of you is still highly applicable..

The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (10-20-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickw813
If you'll refer to the graphic labeled E, you'll see there is a readout that indicates an oil level below a threshold of safe operation. Unfortunately, there is no warning light that will illuminate when the vehicle has a low engine oil condition.

The only warning light that would appear on the dashboard relating to an oil situation is the center screen saying "Low Oil Pressure". In Mark's situation, his oil pressure levels could have been fine but the remaining amount of oil was not enough to provide ample lubrication.
That's not the case according to the workshop manual. It lists the following message center messages relating to oil pressure/level: "Engine Oil Pressure Low" message with a red triangle, "Engine Oil Low" message with an amber triangle, "Engine Oil High" with an amber triangle, Engine Oil Critically Low" with a red triangle and a chime, Engine Oil Level Monitor System Fault" with an amber triangle and a chime.

If any of these events occurred they should be stored in NVM with the possibility of retrieval by the dealer techs.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
I have opened a case with Jaguar Corporate and they were very helpful - but made it clear no promises. I am having it towed to my local Jag dealer, that normally services it, as the process requires a certified Jag dealer / service shop to diagnose.

So, I'll spend a few more hundred on towing and diagnosis hoping the process helps me in some fashion. I am sure I will also owe the current shop for their time.

As for driving it home 2 miles - maybe I exaggerated how badly it sounded and drove. Maybe I shouldn't have driven it - but my hunch is whatever it is - it WAS at that time and it's no different now. Quite honestly, when I had to replace the injector bank in June - I drove it and it was worse....from NJ to CT (over 100 miles) in limp home mode (restricted performance). This time was the same - and I believe that's what restricted performance is for?

I don't get my cars towed every time there's a noise - especially when SO close to home.

Hi Mark,

Really sorry to hear what happened. I hope Jaguar stands behind their customers and cars. If there's oil the engine should not have failed even if it was low a bit. I guess it's possible the oil pump failed. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 PM

I have and the check engine and restricted performance lights on but NEVER any oil lamp.

I've always had it serviced at jaguar, and regularly and I think that helps me. The car is mint inside and out and it shows good care has been taken. I mentioned I spent $1,800 in June on a new bank of injectors and she added that to the record.

I will be sure to let everyone know how I make out. I will SO miss her but feel a little better.

I am going to go spend a few dollars on something to get me through the upcoming New England winter and find another quick toy in the Spring. If somehow MY XFR (my plate) can be revived I'll be doing the pee pee dance.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope it works out well for you Mark.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Mark,
Did you say there is/was oil in the pan?

Old 10-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

UNFORTUNATELY, i dont think any car company is going to be too concerned about a car that has been out on the road for 7 years......there are just way to many variables....now at 3 yr or less you bet...a cpo maybe

Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Interestingly in the UK there is quite strong consumer protection based around "expectation" - ie if you buy an off brand cheapo LCD TV for $100 and it dies after the warranty you probably are SOL. If you laid down $500 and bought the Sony, and it does the same thing, there is an expectation of better life because you "paid" for it.

As these were $80K sticker price new, I'd hope that Jaguar would look at them differently than a 7 year old Skoda. They may go "halves" on a new engine for example.

Will be interesting to see what The Man From Jag says after taking a look.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by panels
Mark,
Did you say there is/was oil in the pan?
Yes, the shop said there was oil in the pan (and shavings!), and everything looked lubed which puzzled him because the symptoms and visuals were that of a dry engine.

Anxious to see what the Jag dealer says - it's being towed there today.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:07 AM

UNFORTUNATELY, i dont think any car company is going to be too concerned about a car that has been out on the road for 7 years......there are just way to many variables....now at 3 yr or less you bet...a cpo maybe
At 3 years or less it would be covered under warranty.

The car was purchased CPO in 2014 and warranty expired early 2016. The car was always serviced at Jaguar and all required maintenance always done.

Apparantly Jaguar DOES get concerned over some of this which is why they have a formal, documented, process for these instances. I am aware they owe me nothing legally and they made it very clear that there's no promises. I am OK with that and am thankful they are willing to review the circumstances, inspect the vehicle, and decide if there's anything they can or should do to help me.

Yesterday I bought a funky, cool Jeep Renegade Limited which I'll use to get me through the New England Winter, and pray that in the Spring MY XFR will be back in my garage. If not, I will shop for another toy; likely a new Vette.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN

Yesterday I bought a funky, cool Jeep Renegade Limited which I'll use to get me through the New England Winter
Check to see if it'll do a stoppie! Here's a link to an article explaining my last statement:

Videos Show The Jeep Renegade Has A Scary Problem Under Hard Braking (UPDATED)

Back on topic though, yes, please let us know the findings! Best of luck with the XFR.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Really sorry to hear of your issues. And impressed to hear that jag is at least investigating. I guess valuable for them to know issues too

Did I read right that you recently fitted a mina pulley - and a tune? If so, any possibility that it pushed the engine beyond its limitations?
It will be interesting to hear what Jag says about mods

Look forward to hearing your updates and I hope there is a good solution for you in the end

Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Really sorry to hear of your issues. And impressed to hear that jag is at least investigating. I guess valuable for them to know issues too

Did I read right that you recently fitted a mina pulley - and a tune? If so, any possibility that it pushed the engine beyond its limitations?
It will be interesting to hear what Jag says about mods

Look forward to hearing your updates and I hope there is a good solution for you in the end
I did NOT have a tune, but I did have Mina exhaust and Pulley installed in July.

Quick Reply: Here we go again...