XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Higher RPM after Supercharger Change and Coolant Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Higher RPM after Supercharger Change and Coolant Warning

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a 2013 XF (V6 with supercharger) and it had an issue a couple months back where the car started vibrating when it was idling. I could feel it even when I was driving after that and it felt like the engine was misfiring. So I took it to a dealership in town and they said that it was an O2 sensor and they replaced it. I didn't think it was an O2 sensor as I had to get these replaced before and I never had these symptoms. So I asked them if they could take a look at it in depth but they said that it wasn't related to anything else and it was just the O2 sensor. A month back the car ran into the same issue and this time they said that the system was running rich and that they also have to replace the entire supercharger assembly, which they quote to be around $7K. I told them it should be covered under the CPO warranty and to replace it. They didn't listen to me and told me that it wouldn't be covered. So I had to call Jaguar's customer service who confirmed that it should be covered and they in turn called the dealership to let them know. The dealership said after that that they would send it to a claims officer and if he approved it, only then would they cover it. I got approved and they changed the part and replaced the O2 sensors. All of this took about a month with no correspondence from their side on if the claim got approved or not and if the car was being repaired. It took multiple calls from my side to find out all this. I finally got my car back and I noticed that the rpms were now running high. Before the supercharger change, my car would run at 1200 rpm at highway speeds but not it runs at 1800-1900 rpm. When I pointed this out, they flat out denied that it wasn't running that high after they took it for a test drive. I asked them if they would come check it with me but they refused and asked me to come back later. I feel like the car still vibrates a little too which they denied as well. I also noticed that now when I turn the car left, if my steering is all the way at the end mark, the car makes a rubbing noise which wasn't there before. But the dealership said that they didn't do anything to it. All of this got me so frustrated that I wrote to the HQ and they contacted me saying that they would take care of this. They said they would help me get an appointment at another dealership and that I wouldn't have to worry about the expenses. They said they would get back to me but they still haven't. In the meantime, my car started throwing up a coolant low warning now. I checked the coolant level and it seemed low, so I topped it off but it still seems to be showing the coolant low warning and the coolant level has been the same. Reading multiple posts here, it seems like it might be the reservoir that would need to be changed but it can be because of other things too. So I wanted to check if it's okay to drive the car for now as the coolant level seems to not be low? Also, would the car running at higher rpms than before lead to this issue by any chance? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 11-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

well the supercharger, o2 sensors, or low coolant light can not cause the RPM to change at a specific speed. thats all transmission and rear gears. are you sure youre in the same gear?

The following users liked this post:
guy (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 07:33 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,193 Likes on 833 Posts

Yes, do top up the reservoir to the full mark. Should there be no signs or smells of coolant leak, and as long as the level is maintained, you should be fine to drive it.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:15 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

How does it feel when its idling, especially from a cold start?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
well the supercharger, o2 sensors, or low coolant light can not cause the RPM to change at a specific speed. thats all transmission and rear gears. are you sure youre in the same gear?
Sorry, could you explain more what you mean by if I'm in the same gear? I don't manually change gears, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by guy
Yes, do top up the reservoir to the full mark. Should there be no signs or smells of coolant leak, and as long as the level is maintained, you should be fine to drive it.
I have the coolant now almost upto the top mark on the reservoir tank. I noticed that the level has been the same. I didn't notice any leaks when I checked unless I'm missing something and not looking at the right place. I didn't smell anything either. Thank you for letting me know!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by fivel
How does it feel when its idling, especially from a cold start?
It idles at the same rpms as before and I think I feel a light vibration but that might just be me. It's definitely not like it was when the engines were misfiring.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Best plan is to watch the fuel trims. Lots of threads about them.

Possibly something is a bit out and if so likely to show up there.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aimulaidni
Sorry, could you explain more what you mean by if I'm in the same gear? I don't manually change gears, so I'm not sure what you mean.
the engine turns at a certain RPM. The crank spins at that RPM. the crank goes to the torque converter which should be locked up at cruising speed so its turning at the same rpm. Converter drives all the gears in the transmission at a specific speed depending on the gear youre in. A lower gear will rev higher for the same speed. the output of the trans turns the driveshaft and then the differential. and then the wheels. If your converter isnt slipping (or if it was slipping before and now its not) and you didnt change any gears in the trans or rear and the tires are the same diameter, the car will always drive the same speed for a particular RPM in a specific gear. Theres no way to make the car run faster or slower if all the gears are the same and the tire diameter is the same and youre in the same gear and the converter is good.

Make sure you didnt go down a gear which would rev higher at a specific speed. If youre in the same gear as before, your torque converter might be slipping

Last edited by Aarcuda; 11-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Best plan is to watch the fuel trims. Lots of threads about them.

Possibly something is a bit out and if so likely to show up there.
I will check into the threads related to this and see if I can find something on it. Thank you!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 PM

the engine turns at a certain RPM. The crank spins at that RPM. the crank goes to the torque converter which should be locked up at cruising speed so its turning at the same rpm. Converter drives all the gears in the transmission at a specific speed depending on the gear youre in. A lower gear will rev higher for the same speed. the output of the trans turns the driveshaft and then the differential. and then the wheels. If your converter isnt slipping (or if it was slipping before and now its not) and you didnt change any gears in the trans or rear and the tires are the same diameter, the car will always drive the same speed for a particular RPM in a specific gear. Theres no way to make the car run faster or slower if all the gears are the same and the tire diameter is the same and youre in the same gear and the converter is good.

Make sure you didnt go down a gear which would rev higher at a specific speed. If youre in the same gear as before, your torque converter might be slipping
Thank you for explaining that! Sorry for being dumb here, how would I know which gear I'm in? Since this is automatic, wouldn't the car automatically change this? Can i override this to check if it's in the right gear?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 PM

Also, should I check the coolant level in the reservoir tank or someplace else? It is at the same level in the reservoir tank, so I just wanted to double check if I'm not doing anything wrong by driving it.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Since this is automatic, wouldn't the car automatically change this?
Yes.

Your answer clearly means you did not override it, so you can ignore the issue.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

If the S button is pressed it stays in 5th gear and wont go to 6 I believe. To check it put the shifter into the J gate into the 2 position and drive then manually shift to 5 and look at the tach. Then holding a steady speed shift to D and see if you can feel it shift abd see if the RPMs come down

Old 11-20-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yes.

Your answer clearly means you did not override it, so you can ignore the issue.
Oh, do you mean I should ignore the issue of the rpms running high altogether or just the idea about it being in the wrong gear?

Thank you!

Old 11-20-2020, 01:43 PM

If the S button is pressed it stays in 5th gear and wont go to 6 I believe. To check it put the shifter into the J gate into the 2 position and drive then manually shift to 5 and look at the tach. Then holding a steady speed shift to D and see if you can feel it shift abd see if the RPMs come down
Would this work even with a paddle shifter? I have rotary knob for the shift and the gear shifters are located behind the steering wheel. Also, I don't know how to drive a manual, so would it still be okay to try this and check to see if the rpms come down?

Thank you!

Old 11-20-2020, 01:44 PM

I have also noticed that the coolant level is dropping in the reservoir. So it looks like there is a leak somewhere. It doesn't drop much though. Is it safe to drive if I keep topping it off?

Old 11-20-2020, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

If the S button is pressed it stays in 5th gear and wont go to 6 I believe.
That's not correct. It will be less likely to go to 6 / do it later, that's all.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, do you mean I should ignore the issue of the rpms running high altogether or just the idea about it being in the wrong gear?

Thank you!
The latter.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Would this work even with a paddle shifter? I have rotary knob for the shift and the gear shifters are located behind the steering wheel. Also, I don't know how to drive a manual, so would it still be okay to try this and check to see if the rpms come down?

Thank you!
oops sorry. forgot what forum I was in.

Quick Reply: Higher RPM after Supercharger Change and Coolant Warning