XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Holy Cow, I need ideas (CJB Safety Mode?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Holy Cow, I need ideas (CJB Safety Mode?)

Hi Guys,
My previous post regarding Bi-Xeon control module has progressed to the point where I felt a new title warranted. Summarized my Bi-Xeon right side not functioning. Replaced bulb and ballast (control module), plugged into left side all good including DLR. Right side still nothing. So, updates; took the car to two well respected European independent repair shops. First one with Snap-On diagnostic tool, the other with the Autel a more sophisticated system. Snap-On nothing of value the Autel shows power into CJB but not out. OK, seems like CJB but it looks in good shape to me, so I take it to my Authorized Jaguar Dealer here in TN. Looks to be respected and significant dealer. They say when they plugged in the left light to right the DLRdid not come on (high and low beams did) and this put CJB in safety mode. I will need to purchase a complete new light assembly and then they can tell me if I will need a new CJB. HOLY COW, this could cost over $10,000! Can anybody elaborate on safety mode in CJB? Never heard this before. I plan to retry the swapping sides again, but I need help.
Thanks all,
Bond
2012 XF Portfolio

Old 03-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Never heard of it and I think the dealer is clueless and reaching for solutions? Can you ask him why they can't use SDD to reset this?
We don't know unless you can get what SDD is telling the dealer?
Anyway to get the codes the car has?

We have seen this many times. We need to understand that aftermarket scanners simply do NOT have the full capabilities of the Factory Jaguar SDD software. So you most likely have an error in the car but can't see it because of the scanner.

We really need the codes to be of much help. Since the dealer has not relayed these to you please see if you can get them.
If you need a light I would recommend a used one but can't the DRL's be repaired?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:46 PM

Thanks Guys,
I just returned from the dealer and I think they are standup guys. From their computer read out; DTDs by ECU fault code B13D1-11 "Right Daytime Running Lamp and Position Power Feed-Circuit short to ground". In reviewing in my mind, the series of events I think this is the root cause. My first indication of trouble was the DLR inoperable, but high/low beams OK for several days then they went dark as well. After bulb and ballast replaced and when I connected the left side to right side, they all worked as expected, but only for a few seconds. I suspect that had I left it connected for long it might have triggered this side as well. Gut punch is new light assembly from Jaguar is $3700.00 USD. Used on Ebay, $1000.00+/- with no guarantees and look in worse condition to what I have. Not an attractive option. There is a song by the Wall Flowers, "We Can Make It Home..With One Head Light." I think I like that song.
New UPDATE I am kind of throwing Hell Mary's. I believe I may have found the cheapest new headlight assembly available in the US. At about $1000.00, and I may be the only idiot who is happy to purchase a headlight for $!000! In my diagnostic deliberations I think the DLR was somehow damaged internally creating the short. Thus, when I swapped sides, it hadn't the time required to trip the fault on the other side. Once this new unit arrives and I plug it all in, we shall see if it resets or needs to be prompted. I promise to report back.

Thanks all,
Bond
2012 XF Portfolio

The following users liked this post:
DanteDiVolo (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

That's very good troubleshooting and I have never seen a short error before either. Were you able to find the short?
Don't see wiring problems often but interested in where the problem is?

Old 03-17-2023, 12:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, I would love to hear of what came of this situation. I have heard of issues with the CJB failing from a battery disconnect causing havoc. I remember reading but can't find now or confirm about requiring a slave when changing or disconnecting the battery (I have done the battery disconnects dozens of times without issue but now it makes be think each time) . When failed, it required reprogramming of the CJB or replacement along with the RJB and reprogramming (Scary stuff). I'm glad to hear that it could be within the headlamp assembly as I do not wish that the CJB failure is an occurring issue.

Kevin

Old 03-18-2023, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Yes your right. Here is the TSB but I still don't understand exactly what's going on to cause this?
The fix appears to be the VERY expensive Jaguar one that requires replacing 2 junction boxes. The other is some Autel devices can somehow "reset" the junction boxes. BUT does not solve the problem and it will need to be done again if the battery is disconnected?

Old 03-18-2023, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes your right. Here is the TSB but I still don't understand exactly what's going on to cause this?
The fix appears to be the VERY expensive Jaguar one that requires replacing 2 junction boxes. The other is some Autel devices can somehow "reset" the junction boxes. BUT does not solve the problem and it will need to be done again if the battery is disconnected?
Yes clubairth1, that's the one I read, I also read that it was not limited to the central locks but affected other equipment randomly. I thought headlamps was one of them but like I mentioned before I can find it and it is frustrating because I was certain I saved it for future reference. It was when I was looking at the MS906Pro-TS and IM608Pro-KPA so I think it might have been one of those but there was also reference to using SDD in engineering mode but being able to reset is a very rare and lucky endeavor, most of the time is was a swap of both that corrected the issue.

I know my heart skipped a jump when I read this as this is not a cheap fix when happens. When Bond mentioned over $10,000, this is what first came to mind.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM

OK, so here is my progression. I was also posting on another Jaguar Site as well, so I will try and fill in the missing blanks. Spoiler alert, head light still not working. Had local dealer do a DTC by ECU (Jaguar Diagnosis). Summary was according to them that the "DLR in the right head lamp was shorting out". The CJB appeared to be OK. These are sealed units and no way to separate and repair, I am told.

So, I found on Ebay a new unit for about $1000.00 (over $3900.00 USD list price at dealer if you can find one). Here is where I am and my next steps. The Brand-New Ebay light (from Bimmersource) arrived as promised and appears in every way as new. When plugged into (right) receptacle, still no light. When plugged into left side all lights as expected. I then removed left side light and plugged into right hand side, no work either. So, my next plan of attack is back to the local dealership for another diagnosis and/or have them do a hard reset. I don't feel confident in performing the hard reset myself and then having unintended consequences that I can't solve. Cannot get an appointment till mid next week, so will report back once this has been done. These forums have always been a great help and I try and report back as relevant for all to see and learn as I do. Thanks to everyone who contributes.
So, my new theme song.." we can make it home, on one head light"

Old 03-24-2023, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update and I will watch for the solution.
I really thought that new headlight would fix it? You had a solid diagnosis from the dealer plainly stating it was a shorted out headlight?

At least be glad it is NOT one of those terribly expensive CJB's!

Old 03-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

How can they tell the short is in the headlight vs in the wiring going to the headlight. Wiring seems to be the next likely issue?

Old 03-25-2023, 08:45 AM

Well, that's a great question BC. To say I am not skeptical is an understatement. Frankly, at this point I can only follow the factory diagnosis and recommendations. I am only familiar with two good independents in my area, and both are as lost as I am. As far as the wiring harness from CJB to light grounds are good and no evidence of crimped or damaged wires. This being the 5.0, two airboxes (one per side) but the righthand side does not appear to be near the harness route. So again, at this point I can only follow the dealer recommendations and if a computer reset is what it takes, great joy but if not, move on to next target. CJB is obviously a potential target, but I don't see evidence of damage.

Lost ball in tall weeds.
2012 XF Portfolio

Old 03-29-2023, 03:57 PM

Not sure if you already have on hand but here is a wiring diagram for the 2012 XF that I currently have.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 03-30-2023, 07:40 AM

Thanks KK,
Car is presently at dealer and hope to have word today.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:26 AM

Ok, keeping this alive though car still at the dealer. Phone call last Thursday from service writer has me questioning this authorized dealers' capabilities. He wanted to verify that I was OK if after they perform a hard reset, that I understood some things might not work! WTF? I can perform a hard reset quite easily and no doubt have some things not work! I took it in to the dealer to make sure all things would work! Also, I wanted another diagnostic printout that would verify my new headlight is no longer the problem. So, what should have been a one-day appointment is obviously now quite a bit longer. Stay tuned.

Bond
2012 XF .

Old 04-02-2023, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

facelift or pre?

Old 04-03-2023, 08:05 AM

Facelift.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bond
Facelift.
virginize and reprogram with sdd, iscan or the blue box or get it repaired. those facelift cjbs are a problem waiting to happen and are like 3300 new

https://motortronics.co.uk/product/xf-bcm/

Last edited by xalty; 04-03-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:27 AM

Xalty, should not the dealer be capable of doing this?

Old 04-03-2023, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bond
Xalty, should not the dealer be capable of doing this?
they will sell you a new cjb. these things were like 1 grand before the pandemic and then then some genius realized they were dropping like flies so price got jacked 3x.

obviously they want to milk you with parts markup and a few hours diag. if you don’t have the local resources to fix it the aftermarket way or the knowledge and tools to do it yourself, pay up or junk the car 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by xalty; 04-03-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:40 AM

Yea I am suspecting this. But I also suspect they would rather not deal with any of it. At this point this Jag may become a daytime driver only. fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Holy Cow, I need ideas (CJB Safety Mode?)