XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Hood alarm switch 09 XF S/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood alarm switch 09 XF S/C

Hi Gang, I have an intermittent alarm going off and believe it to be the hood ajar switch. However I can't find the little bugger!

The pic I got from the dealership didn't help either, it does not apear to be in either of the catches.

Anybody know where I can find it or have a pic of it please>

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The hood switch is listed as a body electrical component in the oem parts list. You may be able to find it in one of these diagrams:

2009 JAGUAR XF Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks Jaguny but I have tried that already, the official Jaguar parts diagram is of no help either.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Mine displayed the bonnet open warning because one of the hood latches was slightly loose. The steel hoops bolted to the aluminum hood can work loose and appear to be tight. My alarm did not trigger though.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by qpr60
Hi Gang, I have an intermittent alarm going off and believe it to be the hood ajar switch. However I can't find the little bugger!

The pic I got from the dealership didn't help either, it does not apear to be in either of the catches.

Thanks!
Whoa! Slow down a bit. This will help.........

To read the last alarm trigger data from the display follow the instructions below:-
• Enter the vehicle and turn ignition on.
• Press "Vehicle" soft tab on the Display Screen.
• Press "Vehicle Settings" soft tab.
• Scroll down using arrow.
• Last alarm trigger will be displayed in a grey tab at top right of Display Screen.

This applies to both the XK and XF models.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Wife's Tech (08-23-2012)
Old 11-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qpr60

Thanks!
My car is a 2008 2.7 XF RHD, Glasgow, UK.
I had the bonnet/hood open warning light come on after I had refilled my washer bottle.
The bonnet was obviously closed properly but the warning light was still there and I could not lock the car. I got a double bleep whenever I pressed the remote lock.
There are 2 bonnet latches mounted on the slam panel and I established that the bonnet micro-switch is located directly under the right hand latch (as you are standing in front of the car looking towards the engine). Under the latch mechanism you will see that there is a coil of metal about 10mm wide. I got a narrow screwdriver and pressed down on this coil of metal and it moved easily. I could hear the little click of the micro-switch working.
While I had this pushed down I used my remote and locked the car successfully (still bonnet fully open). This told me that the switch was fine but perhaps when the latch was in the closed position it wasn't making positive contact with this metal coil and therefore was not operating the micro-switch. It is just like a light spring.
I did 2 things at the same time. I used the narrow screwdriver to get under the coil and levered it up slightly, trying to stretch it to bring the contact point further up.
I also at the same time undid the two setscrews/bolts holding the latch body to the car frame. I pulled up on the latch body to bring it up and re-tightened it. I actually felt that the latch body may have been in its highest position already but it may have moved ever so slightly. I did this 2nd procedure to bring the latch closer to engage with the bracket on the bonnet which actuates the latch when closing.
I closed the bonnet and locked the car successfully and warning light gone.
The problem is obviously the pivot latch when it rotates as the bonnet closes is not making positive enough contact with the spring coil of the micro-switch.
Another option may be to go to the 'U' shaped bracket mounted on the bonnet which engages with the latch mechanism. You could try undoing the fixing nuts a few threads, pull the bracket down, insert a thin packer or washer under each nut and re-tighten. This would have the same outcome of moving the bonnet latch further down its stroke of movement when you close the bonnet and making a better contact with the coil of the switch.
Hope this helps and is worth a try.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguar-Laddie
My car is a 2008 2.7 XF RHD, Glasgow, UK.
I had the bonnet/hood open warning light come on after I had refilled my washer bottle.
The bonnet was obviously closed properly but the warning light was still there and I could not lock the car. I got a double bleep whenever I pressed the remote lock.
There are 2 bonnet latches mounted on the slam panel and I established that the bonnet micro-switch is located directly under the right hand latch (as you are standing in front of the car looking towards the engine). Under the latch mechanism you will see that there is a coil of metal about 10mm wide. I got a narrow screwdriver and pressed down on this coil of metal and it moved easily. I could hear the little click of the micro-switch working.
While I had this pushed down I used my remote and locked the car successfully (still bonnet fully open). This told me that the switch was fine but perhaps when the latch was in the closed position it wasn't making positive contact with this metal coil and therefore was not operating the micro-switch. It is just like a light spring.
I did 2 things at the same time. I used the narrow screwdriver to get under the coil and levered it up slightly, trying to stretch it to bring the contact point further up.
I also at the same time undid the two setscrews/bolts holding the latch body to the car frame. I pulled up on the latch body to bring it up and re-tightened it. I actually felt that the latch body may have been in its highest position already but it may have moved ever so slightly. I did this 2nd procedure to bring the latch closer to engage with the bracket on the bonnet which actuates the latch when closing.
I closed the bonnet and locked the car successfully and warning light gone.
The problem is obviously the pivot latch when it rotates as the bonnet closes is not making positive enough contact with the spring coil of the micro-switch.
Another option may be to go to the 'U' shaped bracket mounted on the bonnet which engages with the latch mechanism. You could try undoing the fixing nuts a few threads, pull the bracket down, insert a thin packer or washer under each nut and re-tighten. This would have the same outcome of moving the bonnet latch further down its stroke of movement when you close the bonnet and making a better contact with the coil of the switch.
Hope this helps and is worth a try.
This is the best advice on this problem that I've seen on the forum. It makes perfect sense. I'll try extending the U shaped bracket with a spacer and see if that fixes the problem. Since the problem appears to be intermittent, the switch itself must still be working. It's the spring contact that's been too compressed to make consistent contact.