XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

horrible radio reception/quality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts
Default horrible radio reception/quality?

ive lived in NY all my life and NEVER had an issue with radio reception or quality in any of my cars.

however the quality of the sound when listening to the radio in my XF is HORRRRIIBBLLEE!! its not the speakers because iPod and CD's come out great.

Ive got the BOSE system, does anyone else have the same issue?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the radio reception is not good at all. Quite irritating sometimes. I've got the B&W system, but I don't think it makes a difference which system you're using. It's the antenna location perhaps? Have not looked into it fully.

Cheers
Puf

Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

there issue with antenna amps and also with am getting no reception, it scrolls without stopping. its gets replaced with a new radio when it happens, its a now known issue. Im waiting on 2 for XF and XK

Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I also have scanning issues with FM, but it usually settles after a bit.

Cheers
Puf

p.s. You got enough horsepower in your house, by the way?? Crikey

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a 2010 XF Premium with the standard audio system. The FM reception is great. On LI, I get Connecticut and Westchester stations with great clarity and never had a problem with reception.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

thanks for the response.

Not having any scrolling issues yet, just reception. Ill bring it up to them at service when i find time to get the oil changed.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carzaddict
ive lived in NY all my life and NEVER had an issue with radio reception or quality in any of my cars.

however the quality of the sound when listening to the radio in my XF is HORRRRIIBBLLEE!! its not the speakers because iPod and CD's come out great.

Ive got the BOSE system, does anyone else have the same issue?
Does your car have tinted windows? If it does and the film is a metallic type rather than a ceramic type it would explain the problem (or, even if it's ceramic film the installer could have damaged your antenna doing the install.)

Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres issues with the Integrated audio moudule
take it to the dealer they should change it and probel solved

Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Exclamation AM Radio

To those saying "My FM reception is great"......I think the topic was AM reception. Which for me, is also very, very poor.

Is this something the dealer can do something about? No, I don't have window tinting.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bigshooter
To those saying "My FM reception is great"......I think the topic was AM reception. Which for me, is also very, very poor.
I didn't see anyone mention AM. With a choice of iPod, CD, Satellite radio and FM, I never listen to AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Default AM Radio

Long Islander, I went back and looked, and you are correct!

However, that is my issue, so anyone with insight (as opposed to LI, whose life appears to be just wonderful, and who is not interested in local sports or talk radio or news) as to how to improve AM radio reception.....please respond.

LI, just keep on enjoying the fantastic existence you have created for yourself.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Does addressing the integrated audio thing have any affect on sat radio quality?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Long Islander, I went back and looked, and you are correct!

However, that is my issue, so anyone with insight (as opposed to LI, whose life appears to be just wonderful, and who is not interested in local sports or talk radio or news) as to how to improve AM radio reception.....please respond.

LI, just keep on enjoying the fantastic existence you have created for yourself.
Well, several weeks ago, I wanted to get to hear the weather forecast, so I switched to AM radio. And wouldn't you know it, I got NO stations whatsoever. Now that's what I call poor reception. I know this wasn't always the case as I had set several news stations on the AM radio presets. I guess the next time I need to bring the car in for something else I'll have the dealer fix the radio also.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 AM

I have the same AM reception problem with my 2009 XF in Louisville, KY. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

PM,

Shame on me for not updating.

Last time in, I asked the dealer to take a look. They said that infrequently, because of the sequence of assembly, paint will get on some of the radio wiring connections. So they detach and clean the ends of the wires and reattach.

They did this, and now the AM comes in like it should! Huge improvement, so perhaps your dealer can implement the same solution. My dealer is Mission Viejo Jaguar, so if your guys don't know the procedure, maybe they can call MV and discuss with their service dudes. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmarold21
I have the same AM reception problem with my 2009 XF in Louisville, KY. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything about it.
2009 and 2010 XF. No AM radio issues - also in Loo'vul. Hopefully bigshooter's fix will work for you.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Just got my beast and both AM and FM reception was nonexistant. Read a post elswhere in this forum that if Sirius radio (came on my Jag, wouldn't have purchased it myself) is on, radio by antenna is dead. True! Turned Sirius off and both AM and FM came back normal. Now perhaps someone can tell me why FM reception in a car is so much better than on a fairly expensive HK receiver in the house.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have AM, FM and Sirius. Don't have to mess with one to get the other. They all work together, no need to give up one for the other. Have your XF radio system checked!

Walt

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My reception is fine but the quality of the sound is pathetic especially since it is supposed to be HD radio. It sounds terrible mostly and cd/aux sound awesome. I don't know about sat bc I never turned it in with pandora free and iPod integration.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

CD/AUX in my 09 are much louder and clearer. The radio doesn't sound bad or fuzzy but they just don't compare to CD/AUX. The 2012 XF with HD radio was much better on the one I test drove. I have the B&W system. I've never used AM for anything so maybe I'll give that a try to see if there is any issues.

Quick Reply: horrible radio reception/quality?