XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Hot off the press - 8 spd ZF's, AWD and new stereos

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
" not really awd" meaning what? All torque transfer systems involve some proportional transfer. All limited slip systems involve some proportional transfer even if it is a true locker that goes from zero to 100%. (awful BTW)

AWD is never "necessary" on serviced roads. Heck, snow tires were a relatively recent innovation for some of us!

A skillfully driven vehicle on a serviced road needs no awd, no LSD, and no traction control. Regardless of weather or road conditions. If progress is not possible under existing conditions without some form of traction aid then driving should not be attempted.

Braking traction is the safety limit, not going forward traction.

Supercharging smaller engines is here to stay. The normally aspirated large displacement engine is on its way out as are manually shifted transmissions.

Stereo branding for cars is a clever marketing affectation. Both B&W and Jaguar got all they needed from their association and both no doubt have moved on. Audi is still sticking with Bang & Olufsen. Great names in past(and current) car stereos are Harmon Kardon (who?) and Bose. Tied marketing ought not to work but people are easily taken in.

Kyanite Blue may be rare but try finding Azure Blue. Apparently only two people in my city like that colour!
B&W, B&O, Harmon Kardon, and Meridan are at a higher level of quality than Bose. Bose has more money spent on marketing, but is a lower tier manufacturer.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
B&W, B&O, Harmon Kardon, and Meridan are at a higher level of quality than Bose. Bose has more money spent on marketing, but is a lower tier manufacturer.
From what I've been reading about the new sound system (there's a similar thread on the XJ forum...) the switch seems to
be related solely to finances.

I don't agree that B&W and Jaguar have both gotten the most out of this relationship. B&W was a leader in the audio industry before Jaguar picked them up (in 2008, I believe) and has only gained more recognition since. Jaguar, on the other hand, went from being unnoteworthy when it came to audio systems and now is a leader in the industry thanks to the B&W partnership. I think meridian will be a bad decision on Jaguar's part, unless B&W was the one that terminated the relationship.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

B&W were not known for car audio until the link up with Jaguar. My guess is B&W got all they needed from this link up and Jaguar is happy to tart themselves around, audio wise. No lose for Jaguar. BTW Jaguar have always fitted decent audio to their cars. No need for high end audio in a car anyway, that's just a marketing thing.

Bose has some high end stuff. They are every bit as good as the others. Mind you we bought a Zeppelin for our iPod stuff, not a Bose. Never heard of B&W in Canada before the Jaguar connection. Cross marketing works fine.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
B&W were not known for car audio until the link up with Jaguar. My guess is B&W got all they needed from this link up and Jaguar is happy to tart themselves around, audio wise. No lose for Jaguar. BTW Jaguar have always fitted decent audio to their cars. No need for high end audio in a car anyway, that's just a marketing thing.

Bose has some high end stuff. They are every bit as good as the others. Mind you we bought a Zeppelin for our iPod stuff, not a Bose. Never heard of B&W in Canada before the Jaguar connection. Cross marketing works fine.
To my knowledge, Bose is more of a mass market manurfacturer. Howevever, B&W and the others have created lines to sell at lower price points. The B&W Nautilus is one of their higher end signature speakers. I am not aware that Bose has anything like it. None the less, and more importanly how do you like the Zeppelin (short thread hijack). I was considering getting one awhile back.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

More importantly my wife loves her Zeppelin. We have a B&O home stereo because she is so demanding. Try it, you'll like it. The "air" feature allows you to wirelessly play your iTunes. Testing one in a show room merely requires you establish a bluetooth connection with the instore demo unit and your iTunes bluetooth device.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The Zeppelin is nice - a timeless design too so it won't go out of fashion, even when the hardware is still performing strongly in ten years time, which makes it worth the money in my view.

I had heard of B&W and many other high end audio makes before I got my XFR, but rarely does a non-audiophile get to hear high-end equipment. It is one of the most commented features by visitors to my car, so I guess it gets B&W more exposure within the wider public. Makes up for the ho-hum exhaust sound too.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sound is personnal.
I think the zeppelin is ****, when I compare it to my Soundcast Outcast which is just awesome. OK it is double the price of the zeppelin but it sounds ten times as good.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Sound is personnal.
I think the zeppelin is ****, when I compare it to my Soundcast Outcast which is just awesome. OK it is double the price of the zeppelin but it sounds ten times as good.
That is a pretty harsh assessment of the Zeppelin. I wouldn't think B&W would put something out that would rate so low. Do you think it is not a good value or not any good at all.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

If you play MP3 music files then you are missing a bunch of the sound anyway. A Zeppelin is more than you need to reproduce compressed music files. If you paid even more you are kidding yourself.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Ma father bought a Zepellin and I was just not impressed at all. It is just lacking power and punch.