XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How To: Install Mina Gallery 5.0L Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Would love to hear some sound clips from your setup and if you could highlight where the Magnaflow x pipe is fitted!

Last edited by darlo; 06-28-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Looked up users other posts on the subject!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
Would love to hear some sound clips from your setup and if you could highlight where the Magnaflow x pipe is fitted!
OK, I'll try to get some video clips this weekend or before.

The Magnaflow Xpipe replaced the rear center resonator (the stock rear center resonator can be seen in that pic of my car lifted in the air). I did the cutouts first, then added the Xpipe a few days later out of necessity. The open cutouts by themselves were incredibly loud and raspy, and the decel popping sounded like gunshots, literally - it was embarrassingly unbearable. The Magnaflow Xpipe (with the muffler built around it) toned it WAY down. I actually wish it were a tad louder when the cutouts are open, but I still get a great sound with some deep burble and pleasant decel rumbling. I've considered straight piping the first center resonator, but I'm not sure the ROI is there and I'd be a little worried about significantly increased cabin resonance.

On my '09 XFS, I replaced the rear center resonator with a similar Magnaflow Xpipe (possibly the same model), then took out the rear mufflers and just straight piped the exhaust back to some new dual tips. That sounded perfect to me and most others, but I got some complaints from the wife and in-laws. I actually wish my XFR sounded just like it (when my cutouts are open). But, my XFR is a little quieter, which I guess is the price I pay for being able to go back to stock quiet at the push of a button.

Last edited by Reaxions; 07-01-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay, I installed my Mina exhaust a couple of days ago, and here are my initial impressions. At first, I was shocked by how much louder it is, but then after sometime, I really started to enjoy the sound. It almost sounds as if it is what Jaguar should have originally tuned the car for.... it is very aggressive, and I hope it doesn't become tiresome.

That said, and I know the professionals will say no, but I almost can't help but feel that I may have lost a little bit of low-end. I know it's not supposed to especially since the diameter of the pipes have not changed. I'm not sure if it's because the sound is so furious, that I expect the car to be moving faster, or if it's because it really has lost a little bit down low...

Anybody have any feedback on this issue.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
OK, I'll try to get some video clips this weekend or before.

The Magnaflow Xpipe replaced the rear center resonator (the stock rear center resonator can be seen in that pic of my car lifter in the air). I did the cutouts first, then added the Xpipe a few days later out of necessity. The open cutouts by themselves were incredibly loud and raspy, and the decel popping sounded like gunshots, literally - it was embarrassingly unbearable. The Magnaflow Xpipe (with the muffler built around it) toned it WAY down. I actually wish it were a tad louder when the cutouts are open, but I still get a great sound with some deep burble and pleasant decel rumbling. I've considered straight piping the first center resonator, but I'm not sure the ROI is there and I'd be a little worried about significantly increased cabin resonance.

On my '09 XFS, I replaced the rear center resonator with a similar Magnaflow Xpipe (possibly the same model), then took out the rear mufflers and just straight piped the exhaust back to some new dual tips. That sounded perfect to me and most others, but I got some complaints from the wife and in-laws. I actually wish my XFR sounded just like it (when my cutouts are open). But, my XFR is a little quieter, which I guess is the price I pay for being able to go back to stock quiet at the push of a button.
Can you share the Magnaflow part numbers, that would be greatly appreciated as we are all on the hunt for the best center resonator replacement. Thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Can you share the Magnaflow part numbers, that would be greatly appreciated as we are all on the hunt for the best center resonator replacement. Thanks
Magnaflow 12468
Material: 100% Stainless Steel - Satin Finish
Body Shape: 5in.x8in. Oval
Inlet/Outlet Size: 2.5in./2.5in.
Body Length: 18in.
Overall Length: 24in.
Core Size: Dual 2.5in.
Position: Dual/Dual

Features and Benefits: Straight-Through Wide-Open Performance, Reversible, Tru-X Perforated Core, Lifetime Warranty, Dyno Tested And Proven To Make Power, Performance Gains In Horsepower And Torque, Great Sound - Has A Smooth Deep Tone, All Welded, Built To Last.

The following users liked this post:
rasputin (07-04-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay, here is my Mina exhaust update. As I think was mentioned before, the sound eventually levels out and becomes deeper after it is broken in. It's now not as bombastic which better suits me and the character of the car. Now, I love driving the car even more because I love the sound of the exhaust.

That said, there are some issues. First, the exhaust does not fit properly within the valance openings. This is particularly true on the driver side where it seems to be rubbing against one side of the valance opening on the right side. I personally was with the installer, and he tried every which way to center the exhaust within the valance opening. The best, and less destructive fit that he could find was with it tilted a little bit counterclockwise. As a result, you could see a little bit more of the muffler portion underneath the car from certain angles when looking at the rear. This is a little disappointing because all they needed was a few more millimeters. The fact that it is not exactly measured to fit easily and consistently is very disappointing.

The last observation is probably the strangest. After the car has been running for several minutes, the heat apparently makes the pipes expand to such a point that they actually move outward from the valance. This is significant, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the car is cold, the pipes are a little bit more withdrawn underneath the valance. Then, after I run it, they wind up sticking out a noticeable amount more.

I even took pictures of it, and they confirm what I'm saying. Has anybody else noticed this, it is really funny, but it's also a little bit cool.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
The last observation is probably the strangest. After the car has been running for several minutes, the heat apparently makes the pipes expand to such a point that they actually move outward from the valance. This is significant, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the car is cold, the pipes are a little bit more withdrawn underneath the valance. Then, after I run it, they wind up sticking out a noticeable amount more.

I even took pictures of it, and they confirm what I'm saying. Has anybody else noticed this, it is really funny, but it's also a little bit cool.
This I have to see... funny how we notice thing that no-one would ever pay attention to... especially when it's done by us personally.... now you're going to give me one more thing to notice... lol

Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Okay, I installed my Mina exhaust a couple of days ago, and here are my initial impressions. At first, I was shocked by how much louder it is, but then after sometime, I really started to enjoy the sound. It almost sounds as if it is what Jaguar should have originally tuned the car for.... it is very aggressive, and I hope it doesn't become tiresome.

That said, and I know the professionals will say no, but I almost can't help but feel that I may have lost a little bit of low-end. I know it's not supposed to especially since the diameter of the pipes have not changed. I'm not sure if it's because the sound is so furious, that I expect the car to be moving faster, or if it's because it really has lost a little bit down low...

Anybody have any feedback on this issue.
I don't think it's your imagination. Check out the discussion in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-33/mina-gallery-exhaust-vs-stock-droning-issues-66822/#post457073

Last edited by aahmichael; 07-04-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drone Fix ?

Hi All
Have fitted the mIna system to my XFR5.0 2013, louder Yes, drone under load (hills at 1500 -2000rpm) is bloody annoying
How to fix - as otherwise i like the sound ?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi-XFR-5.0-SC
Hi All Have fitted the mIna system to my XFR5.0 2013, louder Yes, drone under load (hills at 1500 -2000rpm) is bloody annoying How to fix - as otherwise i like the sound ?
I had the same problem. What worked for me was to drive in sport mode cause it doesn't allow the RPMs to get that low. It's been almost a year and I'm driving in drive again. The exhaust settles over time.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

If the exhaust drones at any RPM, that just means the exhaust company didn't do their engineering and past off a low quality product to the consumers.

Life is too short to pay good money for aftermarket exhausts that drone. I did that once a long time ago with a Borla exhaust, and never again.

Mina should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Are you sure it's fitted correctly and not making contact / vibration anywhere else along the pipe? It seems to fit well on some cars and is much harder on others. Mine took a couple of attempts and needed some bending of the mounting brackets, and a tab near the rear valance that it makes contact with. After the second attempt the virbration was gone - and any last drone has 'burned of' over the past year.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed the Mina exhaust on my '09 S/C. It took a bit of massaging to get the system installed perfectly. That's the romantic part about installing items yourself. You can appreciate the effort knowing the little tweaks it took to get it just right.
Nothing gives me more pleasure than to hear a proper engine downshifting through the gears. Beautiful. The Mina sounds amazing. I understand the "drone" comments made. 1500rpm under load gets boom-y. So what. This car was made to be ran through the gears with the paddles in Sport Mode anyways. Honestly, I was expecting the system to be louder from all the comments. ZERO regrets for installing the Mina system.

Dave