XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How to remove aluminum window trim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to remove aluminum window trim?

Does anybody know how to remove the aluminum window trim around the windows on the XF? Maybe a step by step guide?

Mine are oxidized beyond belief and nothing will remove it. I even bought some kit online and it made it look worse.

I called Jaguar and they want over $2,000 to replace the trim and I nearly fell over. I'd rather buy the parts online and do it myself if possible.

And yes, my cars out of warranty. I own one of the originals.

If anybody here can assist me with some advice, I would truly appreciate it.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

I had my replaced under warranty. What are you going to do when you get them off? It's an anodized finish, which isn't easy to fix.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I had my replaced under warranty. What are you going to do when you get them off? It's an anodized finish, which isn't easy to fix.
Like I said in my original post, I'm going to buy the parts online. It looks like there might be a screw holding the pieces on. There's probably some adhesive on there as well.

I'm just hoping that someone on here knows for certain. Anyone? Anyone?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Enzo954
Like I said in my original post, I'm going to buy the parts online. It looks like there might be a screw holding the pieces on. There's probably some adhesive on there as well.

I'm just hoping that someone on here knows for certain. Anyone? Anyone?
I know for certain that there are screws and adhesive used to hold them on.

Since you are throwing away your old ones, you can afford to get a little rough to see where and how they are attached.

Look for little screw covers on the inside of the door opposite of the trim.

Takes pics and post up for the rest of the forum.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Buy the new trim pieces first, looking at the new ones will show you exactly were all mounting places are.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

PLEASE PLEASE post up pictures as you do this - if it's removable without destroying it I'd love to take mine off for painting/plastidipping. I have been dreading masking off the entire car just to paint those pieces. Sorry, just not a fan of chrome. IMHO chrome is for Harley's not British luxury sport saloons.

+1 for using the new parts as a guide - just please take pictures for us.

-Ross

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LotusExige
PLEASE PLEASE post up pictures as you do this - if it's removable without destroying it I'd love to take mine off for painting/plastidipping. I have been dreading masking off the entire car just to paint those pieces. Sorry, just not a fan of chrome. IMHO chrome is for Harley's not British luxury sport saloons.

-Ross
It's not chrome, it's anodized aluminum. So now you don't need to get rid of the un-British chrome since it's not chrome. Or does anodized aluminum only belong on Harleys? :/

Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

-Ross
There is no need to remove the trim if you're only going to be using plastidip. I taped mine off in less than 15 mins. The only thing that takes any time is waiting for it to dry in between coats.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

The S type guys have older cars and this is a problem for us too. Turns out it's not very complicated or expensive to fix.

We have several great threads with pictures and suggestions that might be useful to look at??

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-29860/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...aration-78211/

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thor82
There is no need to remove the trim if you're only going to be using plastidip. I taped mine off in less than 15 mins. The only thing that takes any time is waiting for it to dry in between coats.
Cool, thanks - good to know. Do you have any pictures of how it came out? Were you happy with it? I've done a fair bit of plastidipping but have never done it on car and really don't want overspray on my XFR. I suppose the good thing is it's easy to peel off if I do.

And sorry Lotusespritse, seems we have some brand similarities but it also seems it ends there. Just not a fan of bright trim on cars, especially sportscars. I've blacked out the trim and headlights on every car I've owned and love the dark, sinister look it brings. While I don't think it's awful on my Jag or anything I like making cars my own and black is definitely my style. If that's not your thing feel free to leave your car/trim stock and enjoy.

-Ross

Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Cool, thanks - good to know. Do you have any pictures of how it came out? Were you happy with it? I've done a fair bit of plastidipping but have never done it on car and really don't want overspray on my XFR. I suppose the good thing is it's easy to peel off if I do.

And sorry Lotusespritse, seems we have some brand similarities but it also seems it ends there. Just not a fan of bright trim on cars, especially sportscars. I've blacked out the trim and headlights on every car I've owned and love the dark, sinister look it brings. While I don't think it's awful on my Jag or anything I like making cars my own and black is definitely my style. If that's not your thing feel free to leave your car/trim stock and enjoy.

-Ross
Whatever floats your boat. You can put your wheels on your roof and drive your car upside down for all I care. I just wanted to make sure you didn't continue the myth that the window trim is chrome or that British cars shouldn't have chrome trim.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I just wanted to make sure you didn't continue the myth that the window trim is chrome or that British cars shouldn't have chrome trim.
Fair enough that it may be a myth that the trim is chrome, I was just using chrome as a general term for anything silver, bright and shinny. My apologies for not being more specific there. However I wouldn't at all call it a myth that British cars (or any car with sporting intentions) shouldn't have "bright" trim work as that's not a myth but rather a matter of taste. Some (you and many others) may love bright trim on these and other cars but some of us (myself and many of my other high-end car friends) think it has no place on performance cars. Again all a matter of taste and the wonderful variety that makes the world such an interesting place. Clearly I'm not the only one that likes the non-bright look as so many manufactures (Jag included) offer "black packages" to remove/darken all that trim.

Again to the OP please do post before/after pictures of your car when you do this as I plan to do the same. The weather is supposed to be nice here on Sunday so I'm either going to take the XFR to the track for a little fun or will spend the day masking and plastidipping much of the car. I'm leaning toward the track as I'm curious what this beast feels like at full-tilt.

-Ross

Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone mentioned, plasti-dipping them would be extremely easy to do. I did mine and it came out great. Doesnt take long to tape things off and would be a hell of a lot less time than removing the pieces and putting on new ones.

Also way cheaper. 1 can is $5.
That is if you like the black look, which I do.