XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How significant is the difference between 2010 and 2012 XF

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How significant is the difference between 2010 and 2012 XF

Hey guys,

Sorry to over load with questions! Ive been on the hunt for a 2010+ XF S/C with a budget of about $25000 or below.. 25 is my limit and really would like to stay around the 20 mark.

Anyways.. Apart from the minor facelift details (love the led strip on the 2012 lights) what has significantly improved throughout the car? In terms of reliability, problems, features, interior, technology etc?

Hopefully some of you have experience with both models and can answer.. I am thinking should I go for a 2010 S/C or a 2012 basic model.

Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The 2011 SC had 5 years of warranty and maintenance. You may be able to find one certified with warranty left. I just traded my 11 with four months of the original warranty. I know a lot of quality improvements were made in the 12s, particularly the seats, touch controls, and maybe the nav system was improved. I personally would take ane earlier version SC over the 12 Base model, primarily due to loaded features and engine of the SC. The SC was the real value proposition. Depends on what you are after.I don't think you could get an 11 for 20k, but might for 25k. If you were on east coast I could have sold you mine.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-13-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

I agree. Facelift and some internal changes to Nav, audio and touchscreen from 2012. But in my experience both are pretty similar
I'd take a 2010/11 SC over a base 2012 any day

Careful not to skimp too much on purchase price and get something that hasn't been looked after well. 2-3k is just a couple of repair trips - I'd look hard and ensure you get one in great shape

The following users liked this post:
webshark (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Get the S/C. I got a great deal on a 2011 XFS. Dont get me wrong, i love the car and for me it is the most powerful car i have ever had, but it was always intended to be a one year transition until I could find a nice 2012 supercharged model with a 5.0Liter (which rules out anything newer than the 2012's). I recently got hit by hail, now I am stuck with it since the value has depreciated significantly. I still love it, and the car actually got a full respray so it came out looking better than when it went in, but I still lost about 5K on it. The difference between the facelift 2012 models and the pre-facelift models are very slight. I think the only major change I can think of was the headlights and the hood outline around the headlights. Inside, they moved some buttons around on the infotainment and upgraded the software to include video playback on the screen. Nothing you wont be able to live without.

webshark (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Get the S/C. I got a great deal on a 2011 XFS. Dont get me wrong, i love the car and for me it is the most powerful car i have ever had, but it was always intended to be a one year transition until I could find a nice 2012 supercharged model with a 5.0Liter (which rules out anything newer than the 2012's). I recently got hit by hail, now I am stuck with it since the value has depreciated significantly. I still love it, and the car actually got a full respray so it came out looking better than when it went in, but I still lost about 5K on it. The difference between the facelift 2012 models and the pre-facelift models are very slight. I think the only major change I can think of was the headlights and the hood outline around the headlights. Inside, they moved some buttons around on the infotainment and upgraded the software to include video playback on the screen. Nothing you wont be able to live without.
Wow very sorry to hear that, what is the S model offering outside the other models? Also you ssaid rules out anything newer than 2012, did the 5.0L engine stop there?

PS: I test drove a 2010 XFR today.. Beautiful drive, but with 75k miles and leather coming up on the dash with no offer to fix and an asking price of 26999 I thought it was just too much. Considering the interior wasn't the color I liked. And a major dealer like Rusnak should be willing to fix that leather..

PS: That is a known common issue, how much are we talking to fix that and is the fix pretty much permanent or no?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

S model had the sport package and has the S/C interior trim, but was naturally aspirated. Yes. the 5.0L engine was phased out and replaced with the 3.0L in the XF from the 2013 model year and up.

I would walk away from that XFR you looked at. With the miles, and the cosmetic issues, it won't be fun for you to own and drive. You will just be back on here complaining about how crappy the car is. Either wait it out until you find a sweet deal or increase your price point. Problem is that the 2012 and older XF S/C models are getting hard to find with low miles and in good condition. People are either hanging on to them or the dealerships are pricing them way above what they should be. Good luck with your search. I hope you find something

webshark (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM

S model had the sport package and has the S/C interior trim, but was naturally aspirated. Yes. the 5.0L engine was phased out and replaced with the 3.0L in the XF from the 2013 model year and up.

I would walk away from that XFR you looked at. With the miles, and the cosmetic issues, it won't be fun for you to own and drive. You will just be back on here complaining about how crappy the car is. Either wait it out until you find a sweet deal or increase your price point. Problem is that the 2012 and older XF S/C models are getting hard to find with low miles and in good condition. People are either hanging on to them or the dealerships are pricing them way above what they should be. Good luck with your search. I hope you find something

Oh wow, I actually thought the 3.0 was a European only engine.. Do you know why they changed that? To cut down on production costs? So pretty much id assume the 5.0 is a better engine? Or not ?

Yea the search is tough! And your right way over priced in a lot of places, bummer! Patience is key I guess.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Why they changed it? who knows? But the 3.0L supercharged does not put out anywhere near the power of the 5.0L. It is more in line with the NA 5.0L. Like I said before, I am still happy with the XF I purchased. It is still under manufacturers warranty for another five months and so far there have been no issues other than a tire pressure module reflash which the dealer fixed when it went in for scheduled maintenance right after I got it. I will probably get it tuned and then be happy with it for the next three years, after which i will look at an F-type s or F-Type R 5.0L if the XF is still powered by the 3.0L. I would like to have the sport sedan for family reasons, but the kid is pretty much outgrown the booster, so in three years he will be ready to ride up front in a coupe. I have found that after three Jags, I have become quite loyal to the brand. Right now I am in a 2016 Cadillac rental and I realize how good we have it in our Jaguars. I was not patient with my search and jumped into my XF because the deal was just to good to pass up, but if I had it to do over again, I would wait until a S/C came along that fit tastes.

webshark (04-14-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 AM

The Supercharged models remained at 5.0L .

Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. You are right. The 5.0L did continue, they just added the 3.0L supercharged and the 2.0T to the lineup

Old 04-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Oh wow, I actually thought the 3.0 was a European only engine.. Do you know why they changed that? To cut down on production costs? So pretty much id assume the 5.0 is a better engine? Or not ?

Yea the search is tough! And your right way over priced in a lot of places, bummer! Patience is key I guess.
The V8 was dropped to meet CAFE fuel economy standards. US EPA and DOT have put the screws to many a fine car. Personally I would like to have choice to buy car I prefer, not one that meets regulatory mandates.

webshark (04-18-2016)