XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

I just got my car from the dealers and I'm annoyed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I just got my car from the dealers and I'm annoyed.

So my TPMS sensor had been going off everyday since they fixed my dashboard. So 2 weeks ago I got tired of it and finally took time off work to bring it in. They call me up during the day to tell me there was a nail in my tire and they sent it off to get fixed, and that i need new brakes. Needing new brakes had me confused because just last month when I took it in for the dash they said it was good. Anyway, I start asking questions about it, they told me all 4 pads need to be changed and the front rotors. It was gonna run me about $1200. I asked them what if I brought them my own pads and rotors, they quoted me about $700 for the sensors and labor. So I go to another shop and they quote me a much cheaper price. Anyway I got my car back today, they charged me $270 for the diagnostic and $75 for 2 center caps. Which I was appalled because I could've gotten 4 for $60 online. Anyway I read the report and they say my front pads were 3mm (not needing a change but close) the rotors were 29.6mm (30mm is their limit so just below the passing line) and the back pads 4mm. Are you ****ing kidding me? 4mm, That's maybe halfway worn through. So I now see this dealership is going to try and charge me for unnecessary repairs. They could've just reset my TPMS sensor and told me my car was ready to be picked up at the end of the day. I understand most of their customers are rich and they must make money hand over fist doing this **** to people who don't read the report or don't understand what anything they type mean.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

Yes the pillagers indeed.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had similar issues with all dealers with the exception of Mercedes for some reason. But even with Toyota we get questionable recommendations concerning our Land Cruiser. Some out right fraud on needing repairs that were actually done already. I typically now decline service recommendations and go elsewhere for a second opinion or an independent shop which is a lot cheaper assuming the car is out of service to handle anything other than what I brought the car in for.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I went in for service the first time to Jaguar Houston North and my service advisor tried to sell me some service I didnt' need. He told me that my engine was running lien. When I asked him about a check engine light he couldn't explain why there was none, when I asked him what my air/fuel ratios were and what my knock sensors were saying he didn't know what to say. I explained to him that I do know the issues with direct injection engines and having to keep the fuel system clean but he didn't have to lie to me to try and get me to service the car. I have since gone to Momentum Jaguar and got lucky since my service advisor is a car guy too and has been very upfront with me. I say just try around until you find someone good.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by neogod
So my TPMS sensor had been going off everyday since they fixed my dashboard. ...........
You put a vehicle in for a TPMS sensor fault.

Whilst I can accept that finding a nail is a tyre is diligent, I understand from your post that the dealership called you to authorise a repair to it before proceeding.

When they contacted you again about the brakes, did you not consider refusing to have any additional work done until the original TPMS fault had been satisfactorily resolved?

Graham

Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I also have been treated very well by Momentum in Houston.
An excellent dealer.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

These are issues that Jaguar USA need to know about. You can e mail them with your problems with the vehicle and also with the dealer. They WILL contact you back. Jaguar USA is VERY concerned about what the dealers do and do not do. You can ask them in your e mail to call you and they will. I had an issue and my sale dealer was 175 miles away and that dealer came to my home with a Jag loaner and several days later brought it back to my home. Jag USA called and wanted to be sure I was happy.They cannot correct anything if they do not know about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by beh2010:
King Charles (03-28-2014), sharx8 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You put a vehicle in for a TPMS sensor fault.

Whilst I can accept that finding a nail is a tyre is diligent, I understand from your post that the dealership called you to authorise a repair to it before proceeding.

When they contacted you again about the brakes, did you not consider refusing to have any additional work done until the original TPMS fault had been satisfactorily resolved?

Graham
I did refuse the work. I wasn't paying $1200 for a brake job. I even went and looked at my car because I didn't believe them when he said it. of course he didn't show me the measurement of the back pads. But seeing that I need new rotors, I'm not even going to change them until the sensor tells me my pads are at 2mms. then I will make an appointment to get them change at this other shop. and do the back ones when the car tells me it's time to change them too which will probably about 6 months after the front ones.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I am NOT defending the dealer but this is how they make money. While fixing one thing find other things the car might need, inform the customer and hope they agree to the additional work. While I agree you can buy the caps online for 60 I think and they wanted 75 or something for 2 the guy online is probably making a couple dollars profit with no overhead and is happy while the dealer, well, someone (you) has to pay for the building, employees, insurance, techs, electric, water, phones... bla bla. Most new car dealers make little on new car sales, they make there profit on used car sales and from the service department.

I own a bodyshop..... been in business 22 years and I have dealt with the guy with the wrecked car, bought his own parts, wanting us to "do" the rest. Part of how we make money is the profit we make on the parts.... no part profit = not worth the job.

You were smart for denying the brake work and going elsewhere and finding a different dealer, I do hate when you bring something in for 1 thing and then they find a list of others. My sister took her Subaru in for an oil change and $3700 later she had the top end of her motor rebuild because she fell for the BS they fed her. Like one of the other posters said, when told about what was needed he knew more about his car then the dealer did and shut him down. This is always the best way to deal with it if you can.

Just my .02