XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

I'm a little bugged...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm a little bugged...

So I picked up my 2011 XF three weeks ago. In the handful of discussions I had had with the salesman, I asked him about some of the possible changes for the 2012 model. I read it was rumored to have an updated front, rear and nav (ends up it did). He assured me that there were no changes to be made "The car is only two years old". So after his assurance that no changes were coming, I bought the car. I feel slightly misled and was going to go back and say something. Any thoughts? FYI, I was in no rush to buy, been looking and test driving for over a year.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's truly unfortunate. I'd be bugged too. This just adds to the dishonest salesman stereotype. Many salesmen are just clueless about the product they're selling so it's also possible that he simply didn't know. But, if that's the case, he should have said he didn't know. Whether it's worth it to raise a stink I guess depends on how bugged you are.

You can certainly go and voice your displeasure but beyond venting I'm not sure what remedy you can hope for. Maybe he'd apologize or his boss would reprimand him. I doubt they'd give you any financial consideration.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's why I never rely solely on the word of any salesman. I always follow up on my own and do some Internet research. The information you're getting is only as good as the source. The reality is that the sales end of almost any industry is kept in the dark about such things for strategic and marketing reasons. You're also jumping to a conclusion that the sales guy mislead you. He may have simply been passing on information that was provided to him by his boss or someone else. I won't be too quick to jump on the sales guy. But I certainly understand your frustration. If you got a really good deal and the situation bugs you - you can always flip the 2011 XF and get the 2012. If the economy continues at this pace you may get a good enough deal to absorb the cost and come out ahead.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you simply paid the same price for the 11 that you could have received on the 12, then I would be frustrated. However, it seems they are giving deals on 2011 models right now probably for that very reason. However, the aesthetic differences don't appear to be that dramatic and you don't see that from the driver's seat anyway. However, a better faster NAV would be nice. I say enjoy the car. It's like buying an iPhone 4 a few months before the 5 comes out. Frustrating but you still have one hell of a phone to start with.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Not a big change

The 012 looks nicer, but not enough to make it worth paying more for. By all accounts the nav is no better than the version in the XJ. In other words it's still slow, clunky, lacks real time traffic data, and is nowhere near the standard of a stand-alone Garmin or TomTom, and a country mile behind Audi and BMW's integrated systems. If you've saved a good chunk of cash be happy and save up for the next generation XF which will apparently be all aluminum and therefore much lighter.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'd be miffed a little too, but I agree with the others, enjoy the car, it is a sweetheart. If you are that concerned, wait until the 12 hits the dealer lot, drive it and compare, they may give you a deal to make up for the short comings of their sales staff.

Remember, these sales people have had a rough year or two and if they tell a "minor" untruth to get you to sign, they make their quota and their comission.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,910 Likes on 7,169 Posts

Hard to say if it was ignorance or deception at play here. Both are plausible.

No matter what you're selling, though, you'd probably rather sell what you have today rather than what you'll have in 6 months.

You'd also probably like to have customers who think well of you and would recommend you to others.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think Jaguar is supporting a zero percent financing deal through the end of April as an incentive, as no doubt the word is spreading that the '12 will have revised front and rear fascias, revised interior trim (dark instead of bright silver), and probably an update on the electronics.

Is it worth it to wait? I suppose to the OP, it might have been, and the reason he is not happy, because he didn't have that choice to make due to what he was told.

However, as others have noted, it's always been a buyer beware market when it comes to cars, so about the only mileage he can likely get out of this is to express his displeasure and remind the dealer there are plenty other competitive marques out there. Maybe they will care and offer some token in response. Maybe not.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just expected more frome Jaguar. If a salesman isn't in the know, then just say you don't know. I'm going to bring the car in for a wash this weekend and bring it up. In the end, no matter when you buy a car, there will always be a better more tricked out version someday and I do love this car.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Always becareful when dealing with dealerships.. Some are sneaky and some just don't know. I have been to some dealerships and have cought the sales people in right out lies, just to make a sale. I always do my homework before even looking at a car I may be interested in. Often times then not, I have found that most dealerships don't do good training on the product they are selling. I had one sales person, including the sales manager tell me that there wasn't going to be any changes in HP between the 09 and 10 XF SC/XFR models. I told them that I just read a article in a well known car mag that they where adding power. They said that they didn't hear of anything like that and because the model was only a year old, Most likely it wasn't going to happen, I should just go ahead and buy now. Well the 2010's hit the lot 2 weeks later, and we know the end to that story. I never did go back to that dealership for my purchase.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Sorry to see so many of you are unhappy with the information supplied by some dealers. Some might be dishonesty, some might be ignorance. That's unfortunate.

For anyone contemplating any of the 2012 models, attached is loads of information to help in your decision. Maybe the changes are worth the wait, maybe they will make you say, Nah, I'll take a 2011 'cause it's here now.

I'll post them all here, and if the Mod's see fit, they can move them to a better spot.

Cheers,

The following 4 users liked this post by xjrguy:
cane.mba (05-04-2011), duke_dallas (05-04-2011), ExpatJag (05-27-2011), Need4Spd (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information! Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Info, thanks.

After looking at the 2012 XF and comparing it to our 2010 XF LUX, both my wife and I prefer the look of our 2010 car anyway.